Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #21 
3bangdoos

Hello everyone,

My apologies for not posting regular updates on Neptune, but we just needed to see how he was responding to the meds at the end of 5 days.

At this point in time (we're on Day 9) we have mixed feelings. His dorsal fin which almost shrunk to two lines and was ghostly white seems to be getting back the blue color. In fact everyday, we see the extent of color increasing. So far, so good!

What actually is worrying is that the base of the fin where the body meets the fin has probably got worse over a few days. I'm inclined to believe that the fin rot has been contained (and healing as the clumps have disintegrated), but the part where the body is white is worrisome. Has anyone encountered similar issues? Is this an indication that the old injury as healing and new skin is forming? (just like us human beings?)

Neptune has been happy in his bowl all the time. He feeds on 3 pellets twice a day and on 3 bloodworms every week. He swims about fine and responds to calling.

We got a 10 gallon tank for him today and plan to move him from the 1g bowl in 4 days. YAY!

EDIT: The meds are still continuing in week 2. We also add Stress Coat to his water every 2 days.
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:41 PM   #22 
Luchi

Hmm, I know what you mean by the color returning to his fins. I'm treating my betta for fin rot now and I could see a change rapidly. What clumps did he have? My betta has a white "clump" i guess you could say on one of his fins that I think had the fin rot. I wonder if we're going through the same thing!!! So frustrating!!!!!! (My betta had no injuries though so not exactly the same i guess)
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I had a betta that lost his whole dorsal fin! He had a white place where the fin used to be. I talked to a guy at Petsmart and he said it was damaged tissue. The place on my betta healed, minus the dorsal, but the place remained white. It never bothhered him, though.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #24 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Hmm, I know what you mean by the color returning to his fins. I'm treating my betta for fin rot now and I could see a change rapidly. What clumps did he have? My betta has a white "clump" i guess you could say on one of his fins that I think had the fin rot. I wonder if we're going through the same thing!!! So frustrating!!!!!! (My betta had no injuries though so not exactly the same i guess)
Luchi, what I meant by injuries was not due to altercations with another betta but due to the pesky fin rot!! Again, I may be misquoting 'injury', but it's probably just discoloration. So you and me are in the same boat :)

I'm continuing with his treatment on Maracyn2 and Maracyn-X, along with aquarium salt and Stress Coat. Do you have the same meds for your betta?
Old 06-10-2009, 02:00 PM   #25 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I had a betta that lost his whole dorsal fin! He had a white place where the fin used to be. I talked to a guy at Petsmart and he said it was damaged tissue. The place on my betta healed, minus the dorsal, but the place remained white. It never bothhered him, though.
Thanks dramaqueen! I guess you just nailed it on the head as far as the issue with Luchi's and my betta go. White stump at the base of the dorsal fin, but doesn't affect him (or so I think!)
It's a relief to know your betta lived to tell the tale. Wow, that I like!

To Luchi's previous query, the clumps were on his pectoral and anal fins and they were blue in color.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #26 
Luchi

Well since it was the first time I've dealt with finrot I wasn't quite sure what to use. I went ahead and right now am trying bettafix. So far so good even though I've heard really mixed reviews, but then again everybody's fish is different. I was confused as to if there was anything wrong with my betta because he acted fine even though I could see the physical difference in his fins. So at this point I'm still HOPING I'm treating him for the right thing. His two side fins (no idea what they are called) actually turned clear almost completely which scared me since he is red. He's on his 4th day of the bettafix and a LOT of his color is coming back which is good. However, he has like 1 or 2 little white spots on his fins that haven't gone anywhere. It's really frustrating because I wish I could just give him medicine and he'd be all better!!!

Yes we are floating along in the same boat! I just wish the little guys would be 100% healthy again!!!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote