Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #11 
Ilikebutterflies

There are two accepted forms of Plakat. Traditional and show plakat.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 AM   #12 
Basement Bettas

Betta4All is not the IBC standard.... you breed that and you are not breeding to the show standard. Best to join IBC and get the *official* standards if you want to show.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM   #13 
bigbettadan

No, the are 3 types in the IBC standard as well, show plakat, traditional plakat, and shortfin halfmoon.

Dan
bigbettadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:10 PM   #14 
Ilikebutterflies

I have to disagree BigBettaDan.

The shortfin halfmoon does not count as a plakat. The standards state the short fin is the short finned version of the HM show betta.

The standards read out nearly the same as the HM while counting plakat traits as faults.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:32 AM   #15 
Dragonlady

Both Dan's and Stefan's drawings for the 3 varieties of plakats all meet IBC standards. I wish I could say the same for some of the misuse of the English language in this thread.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #16 
bigbettadan

LOL, yea I know what it says, I helped write it. Keep in mind it used to be trad plakat, asymmetrical plakat, and symmetrical plakat. The names were just changed to something a little less heavy.

Dan
Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #17 
Ilikebutterflies

It's awesome to have someone here "in the know" Dan. So what are the plans for making the information that a lot of people seem to have a hard time finding easier to locate? Are their any plans to include labelled diagrams? Are there plans to update the handbook making it easier to read and make it look new and modern? It reminds me of old 4-H manuals. The group of IBC members in general is such a small group you would think they would do what they could to encourage membership/showing/breeding. After all, more members is better for the hobby right? I know for at least the last year the questions are always the same..."where can I find this or that"...when it should be very easy to find the information. Of course, it is find-able but one has to send e-mails and ask a lot of questions...

Honestly, the short fin standard reads like it has nothing to do with plakat at all. I see a big enough difference between the PK and HM to read that standard like it is meant for HMs with short fins. Can I get clarification as to if it is or is not meant for plakat?

And I will apologize for the misuse of the English language in this thread-at least on my part. I had not realized it was being graded. I just thought this was a betta fish forum where I could post questions for advice and spend a little bit of my free time each day learning more about my new hobby.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #18 
bigbettadan

Yes making it more accessible is in the works.

And you seem to be taking my post too personal. You said I was wrong, I was just clarifying.

Dan
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #19 
Ilikebutterflies

I didn't say you were wrong. I said I disagreed.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #20 
Darth

You guys should also listen to Basement bettas, she is a form nut, and also is training to be an IBC judge so she also would know.
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote