Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #1 
bambijarvis

My adventure in Guppies

Hello and welcome to my guppy adventure!

Other than a single pregnant guppy I rescued from a friend who was going to flush her, who ended up dying during birth the next day, I have no experiance with guppies.
Looking for an easy to breed/quick growing and colorful fish to fill my (at the time) empty ten gallon I decided Guppies would be a nice choice since I could fit up to 6 adults in the tank.

Excited, I'll admit I was a bit rushed to get started. I already had the tank(s), conditioners, heater, food, fry food and the like and some experience raising betta fry.
So while out filling out job application and spending some time with my dad I stopped by Petco(the only place in town with female guppies that I know of).
I was disappointed at first. Most of he females were colorless or only had the tiniest spot of yellow to give any idea of what colors they would throw. 2 were quite dark/black and 1 had a red-orange-yellow-clear gradiating tail.

I ended up with 1 of each of those.

Male wise they only had 'cobras' and of that only 3 in stock. 2 were red/orange and one was a lovely bright yellow.
I chose the yellow(looking online I see he's called a 'lemon cobra'). I wish his markings were a tad darker, but hopefully it's something i can breed for in later generations.
----------
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qYNj9W1Bb4
Now keep in mind the tank is bare right now but it won't be for long. I'm grabbing a couple plants today and plan to add more.
I don't have a filter but I vacuum up the poop/excess food twice a day and do a partial water change when I do.
I have an airstone/pump for some water circulation(not in/on in the video added after) and a heater in the tank.
This video was taken soon after they were released into the tank. Ignore the tape on the tank. xD

----

Roughly 12 hour after buying them one of the females began to drop fry.
It started with three, then 6, then 9 and now we're up to 11 fry, 12 hours after she started dropping(not sure if this is a normal amount of time to be dropping).er

With the bare tank I expected the the 3 guppies to eat the fry but they to be ignoring them, avoiding them even. Should the fry still be there in the morning I'm considering moving them to another tank(a 2 gallon until I can set up something larger in a day or so). Would this be alright?

Also, food wise I've been feeding them decaps. I've noticed them nibbling at the crushed flakes I feed the adult, too. So they are eating.

Last edited by bambijarvis; 08-10-2013 at 02:12 PM.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #2 
bambijarvis

Scratch that... 12 fry now...xD
Old 08-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #3 
bambijarvis

I ended up with 12 fry total. This will probably revolve aaround them for the next month. xD
I moved them into an empty betta cup last night and floated them in the tank.
Today I cleaned out my old large kritter keeper(holds about 2-3 gallons) I'm going to move the fry into there.
They are loving the decap bse, I would sit here and watch them eat all day.

One looks a bit smaller/weaker than the others but no losses to illness or stress(from being herded into the cup) yet.
The other 11 are really active.

Once in the smaller tank I'm thinking 50% water changes every day, hopefully start sexing around 2 weeks and separate once I can sex them.

-----
The adult guppies are fine. My male seems to favor the yellow/orange/red tailed female. He follows her to no end all but ignoring the other two unless all four are swimming together.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Subbing!
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #5 
bambijarvis

Haha, hello again. xD

The fry have been fully moved/fed and seem happy in their new tank.

On a sidenote I think something may be wrong with my black female....maybe not physical health wise but mentally. o.O

She seems to stick to one corner of the tank, alone, and just stare at my wall. She moves when I walk over, begs for food, occasionally follows the others...but then goes back to her corner and just...stares. Kinda creepy.
She's not clamped, her colors her nice, doesn't seems stressed. She's about mid--level so she's not resting on the bottom or having floating issues, she eats fine.
Strangeness. I'll keep an eye on her.

Also about 50% sure the red-orange-yellow-clear tailed female is pregnant(before I bought her).
Old 08-11-2013, 06:33 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol hi.

She may be seeing a reflection, you can try putting up a piece of paper in the corner to see if she reacts to that at least.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:41 AM   #7 
bambijarvis

I put up a piece of paper and it seemed to help..but she still occasionally just stops what she's doing like she forgot why she was there.
><

The fry are doing well, just got a semi-late breakfast. at least two of them are really dark/black confirming my suspicion it was the black girl who dropped them.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

lol, silly girl, I find some of my boy's do that as well. No idea why, they just do so I'm sure she'll be fine ^_^ just a special guppy is all haha.

Sounds like the fry are doing well though! Can't wait to see pics of them
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #9 
bambijarvis

Here's a picture from when I was herding them into the cup:

bad groupshot of the adults:
Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Cute!! Yeah I'm still wondering if the Baby livebearer I have is Guppy or Endler, I guess time will tell technically and size