Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 
Wynn

Betta Care Questions

I have had a Betta for about 3 months now and I am a bit unsure how to clean the tank.
Like the walls have white hard stuff on it. Should I clean that? How, and with what? Or how frequantly?

So the basic question I am wondering just the standard care of the tank with stuff like that.

Oh and I have a 10 gallon tank.
Wynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

The white stuff is just some calcium from the water. They have some special fish tank scrubber things at Petco, and probably Petsmart too, that you could use to get it off :) Whatever you do do not use soap and a sponge though.

Unrelated to the calcium: How frequently do you do water changes? Is your tank filtered/cycled? :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
Wynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyP View Post
The white stuff is just some calcium from the water. They have some special fish tank scrubber things at Petco, and probably Petsmart too, that you could use to get it off :) Whatever you do do not use soap and a sponge though.

Unrelated to the calcium: How frequently do you do water changes? Is your tank filtered/cycled? :)
How frequantly would ya suggest scrubbing it off? Is it harmful? Is there something to use to scrub it off with or just the scrubber? Is it a paticualr type of scrubber?

About twice a week 50% change. and 100% twice monthly(so I can clean the rocks.)

I believe is tank is currently cycled his ammonia and nitrate both read 0 and continuelly read 0 for 1 entire week without a water change.(It was a busy week so since his water tested good I didn't change it, though his water was still reading 0 at the end of the week but I still changed it just to be safe.)
Old 08-10-2013, 03:58 PM   #4 
TiffanyP

Awesome - sounds like you're doing a great job :) And I know we've all been busy and missed a water change at some point in time, no judgement here!

I'm pretty positive the calcium is harmless, just a mineral in the water. It's more of an appearance issue than anything. I'd say if it bothers you, to do a little scrub of it on a water change day. As for the scrubber, I just know it's a special tank scrubber that is made to scrub off algae and other things on the inside of an aquarium. I don't have one myself, but I was looking at them at Petco the other day. Hope that helps you some :) And if your fish is the one in your avatar, he sure is a looker :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #5 
Wynn

Thank for the advice and yeah the pic is my guy.