Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #1 
Spode

Gill imflamation

I think Albert might be ill

His left gill opens more than his right and appears to be inflamed, and his eye looks a little bloodshot (can't tell if that's just the photograph though).
There's also some white on his top fin at the base, but I can't tell if that's some kind of fungus or if it's a colour change...

He still has his appetite, but seems to be resting on plants or on the bottom of the tank more often than he did.

He's in a 4 gallon tank with a filter and heater (set to 26c), I've been doing 15-20% or so water changes every other day.

I've been feeding him a combination of Tetrabetta and frozen Daphnia.

Would appreciate some expert eyes. I've marked the areas I'm concerned about. Oh, he might look a bit plump, had to bribe him with food to get him in photographic range.

Marks are on the outside of the tank, could do with a wipe!
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:32 AM   #2 
crowntail lover

The eye looks fine...Just prabably his color...And his fin looks to be just his color as well...:]
But I am not for sure on the gill...Does this happen when turning...or? Have you watched him swim from above?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #3 
MrVampire181

Those are just his eyes (red coppers like my Red Crusaders all have those eyes and your is a red copper). As for the gills I would look from above and if they look inflamed then find a treatment (I'm lost).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #4 
Spode

It's every time he breathes (or whatever the gill equivalent is called), almost as if it's split.

Of course I could just be being paranoid (my first betta), but the fact it looks a bit inflamed has me worried.
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #5 
3bangdoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spode View Post
It's every time he breathes (or whatever the gill equivalent is called), almost as if it's split.

Of course I could just be being paranoid (my first betta), but the fact it looks a bit inflamed has me worried.
You might want to keep a close check on that fin. My betta's fin started off having a tiny white line and in a couple of days, I knew fin rot had set in. You have an amazing camera, so I suggest you take pictures daily and make a comparison for deterioration. That way, you'll be the best judge to know if something's amiss.
If you feel so, I would recommend starting him on the meds right away.

BTW, he's gorgeous!!
3bangdoos is offline   Reply With Quote