Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 
Seki

Best tank for an EE?

Watching my new EE in his QT tank, I am noticing how much trouble he has swimming because of his pectoral fins being so large. It has me thinking a bit... a minibow doesn't seem like the best environment for the little guy because it is so deep and he would have trouble getting to the top for air (even in his QT he struggles, which worries me). So I am thinking I want something long and shallow for him, but I can't really fit much more than about a 3 gallon tank in the allotted space for him (I'm pushing it at 3 gallons, but I'll make it work if there's a good tank... it's a matter of weight, not length).

Anyone know any good tanks that might fit my requirements? I'm considering just another of the 2.5 gal. glass tanks from Petsmart that come with glass canopies, but if I could get something even more shallow, that would be awesome. He's not the most active little guy, but I'm hoping he'll recover soon and I want to have his tank ready for when he does.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Kritter Keepers or storage bins seem to be the best options, beside the 2.5G glass.

Sorry about your EE trouble.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #3 
Seki

I have no issue getting another 2.5 gallon glass tank for him. They're super cheap anyway, and I like how they look. Do you think that would be the best environment for him? He'll have a hammock, of course, and probably some large, leafy plants that he can lay on to rest near the top.

It's okay, no trouble! I've never had a true EE before (my other dude carries the geno, I think, but his pecs are nowhere near the size of Zero's), and I never realized how difficult swimming was for them. Although it probably doesn't help that Zero is still recovering and is weak. I got him as a rescue, so I knew we'd have a bit of a road to recovery, but I couldn't leave him behind. Now I'm focused on doing my best to give him a good life, so I'm researching any and all options to keep him comfortable.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, I understand why you might not want storage bins. (looks) xD

A 2.5G will be great. I don't think there's anything else you can help him with, besides lowering the current if there is one.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #5 
Seki

Yeah haha a storage bin isn't ideal, and I can't monitor him as easily since I have to actually watch through the top if I want to see him clearly. I'll probably go with the rectangular 2.5 and see how he does. No current because I'm not going to filter it. He'll get twice weekly water changes with live plants to help out a bit as well. He actually is a strange fish in that he LOVES being in a cup. If I put a cup into his tank, even if I'm just getting some water out to mix up a salt solution or something, he darts right into the cup. And getting him out is difficult, he prefers the cups! Silly fish... probably has no idea what to do in a larger space.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #6 
Skyewillow

Seki, he could be a Super Dumbo, they have ridiculously large pectorals.

Offering him places near the surface to rest is the best thing you could probably do for him besides a clear plastic shoebox or tupperware dish. Other shallow tanks would be down into the 1.5 gallons, which my EE's zip around, but I'm actually prepping to upgrade the boys over the next couple of months
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #7 
kjnewcome

I have this tank for my EE and he seems to love it. It doesn't come with a heater so if you don't have one you would need to pick one up.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #8 
Seki

Skye - I never considered that. I don't think he is, but it's possible... I really know very little about EEs. I hadn't actually wanted one before, but this little guy spoke to me.
Here is a good picture of his pectorals. This was him in his cup when I brought him home.

He's currently in a 1 gallon QT to be treated for popeye (and now finrot, looks like... -sigh-) and he can't even really seem to get around that very well. He lays on his plant's leaves a LOT.

kjnewcome - Oooh, that tank is gorgeous! I might look into that one. Looks a bit tall, though... 10.5 inches high, is that right?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:59 AM   #9 
Skyewillow

yea, his ears are bigger than both of my boys. They're not the most extreme though, fortunately for him.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:02 AM   #10 
Seki

Ah, so you would class him as a super dumbo? Aw haha poor Zero really doesn't have any luck~ I'll get a good setup for him, though. LOTS of plants and such near the surface for him to rest on. Maybe two hammocks, too.