Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #1 
ohsorisque

Exclamation Problems w/ air pump tank & fish.

I recently bought a 2 gallon tank for my 2 1/2 year old sons Betta fish named Dory. I think he likes it there but I'm not quite sure. He spend an awful lot of time on resting on the rocks which is something he never did when he was in a bowl.

Other problems I'm having is that the tank gets tons of bubbles at the top. It's sometimes so bad that if I don't keep an eye on it and clean out the bubbles then it overflows. Should I just take the fish out and put him back in his regular bowl?

Also I haven't notice him eating in that tank. Maybe he is because he's still alive but I've never actually seen him eat his food. In his old bowl whenever I put food in he'd automatically eat the food right away.

Maybe he's just not used to the tank or he may not like it. Any advice on what to do would be appreciated.
ohsorisque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

He may just not be used to it yet. What are the bubbles caused from? If it was bubbles from a bubblenest, the tank wouldn't be overflowing. Do you have a heater for the tank? Do you have a filter or airstone?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #3 
ohsorisque

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
He may just not be used to it yet. What are the bubbles caused from? If it was bubbles from a bubblenest, the tank wouldn't be overflowing. Do you have a heater for the tank? Do you have a filter or airstone?
Well, the fish is a male so I don't think it would be a bubble nest? I don't even know what a bubble nest is to be honest. There isn't a heater for the tank but I check the temperature everyday and it's around 70-75 degrees. It does have a stone filter.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Male bettas blow bubblenests. Its where they put the eggs after spawning but just because a male blows a bubblenest doesn't mean he has to be bred. They usually blow them when they are healthy and happy.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM   #5 
ohsorisque

Ohhh see. Its the air filter that is making so many bubbles. I've had it unplugged for the entire day and the tank is now free of bubbles. Do you possibly know why the air filter is making so many bubbles like that?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:58 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you mean the filter or airstone? I don't know why a filter would be doing that unless its turned up too high.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:00 PM   #7 
ohsorisque

I guess it would be the air stone? My pump doesn't have any settings on it so I can't turn it on high or low.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

To control the air bubbles, you can get a gang valve.They're used foor tanks that have more than one airstone but they can be used to control the air flow on one. I have one, which I haven't used yet. lol
Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #9 
ohsorisque

I'll look into that, thank you.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:14 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

The temp. is too low for him. He needs the water to be around 78-80 degrees. That might be the reason why he is sitting at the bottom. You can get a heater for a 2 gallon at Walmart for a decent price.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote