Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 01:32 AM   #1 
kjnewcome

How sad is this?

I saw this on etsy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/15818059...?ref=related-0

I hope no one is dumb enough to buy something like this. That thing can't hold more than 2-3 cups of water. :(
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:33 AM   #2 
kjnewcome

http://www.etsy.com/listing/15072139...earch_type=all
Old 08-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

File a complaint with the shop owner and threaten to complain to etsy. Some other members and I got some listings taken down from etsy that were essentially Whisky bottles without labels being advertised as the perfect home for bettas.

A polite email that outlines the basic care requirements for bettas and how the product doesn't meet them should do the trick and will hopefully be received well. I'll see if I can dig up the old thread that has some sample emails.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #4 
Hail0788

First of all that's crap if anyone thinks that's cool to put a betta in those things and second why the hell pay over $20 for that crap when you can go to dollar tree for that?!

Last edited by Hail0788; 08-11-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #5 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail0788 View Post
First of all that's crap if anyone thinks that's cool do but a betta in those and second why the hell pay over $20 for that crap when you can go to dollar for that?!
I was shocked at the price as well. They sale those bowls are the Dollar store for a $1, she doesn't even have $3 in the whole thing. It just saddens me that people actually think that would be a good home for a betta. I wouldn't even use something that small when doing water changes or tank cleanings. It's just mean!
Old 08-11-2013, 01:43 AM   #6 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
File a complaint with the shop owner and threaten to complain to etsy. Some other members and I got some listings taken down from etsy that were essentially Whisky bottles without labels being advertised as the perfect home for bettas.

A polite email that outlines the basic care requirements for bettas and how the product doesn't meet them should do the trick and will hopefully be received well. I'll see if I can dig up the old thread that has some sample emails.
I'd like to see that thread if you can find it. I've seen the whisky bottles too. My all time favorite betta home piece of crap is the stuffed toys with the bowls in the belly. Have you seen those?
Old 08-11-2013, 01:44 AM   #7 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thread (please do not post on linked thread, post on this thread instead)- http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....highlight=Etsy

My letter to the shopkeepers-

"Dear Mr and Mrs Smith,

I contacted you to inform you about the "betta bottles" that you sell. You suggest that these less then 1/2 gallon bottles be used for fish, but these do not make suitable homes for them. I am a betta breeder, keeper, and hobbyist, and I own over 100 bettas.
Bettas are native to Thailand, where the water temperature stays between 76 and 86 degrees fahrenheit. To maintain this temperature, a heater is required. There is no where or way to put a heater in these bottles. If bettas are to cold, their immunity is compromised, leaving them susceptible to disease. Keeping bettas in cold water dramatically decreases their lifespan.
In a container this small, a toxic substance called ammonia (which all fish excrete) will build up very rapidly. Ammonia burns and eventually kills the fish in a very painful manner.
Bettas are anabantoids, meaning they use a special organ called the labyrinth to breath air from the surface. To do this, there must be sufficient amounts of oxygen available to them. In these bottles, the airflow is not enough. A betta could potentially suffocate living in one of these.
There are many, many things wrong with keeping an animal in one of these liquor bottles. The betta in the picture that you show is very unhealthy and close to death. Advertising improper betta habitats like this only increases the incidence of animal cruelty committed by people who do not do their own proper research. I know I am not the first to file a complaint against this product. Please change this advertisement and remove the false information about keeping bettas like this. I am prepared to contact etsy if this does not change.

Thank you."

Edit- Yes, I have seen those. What a great way to teach your children how to take care of animals.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:47 AM   #8 
kjnewcome

Thanks! I'll be sending this. Hopefully it will help.
Old 08-11-2013, 01:51 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you want to use my letter, you will need to change some facts, like the suffocation part (if you are emailing about the bowl).
Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #10 
percyfyshshelley

That's a very good letter, Matt. I'm going to write one of my own to send to the two shopkeepers in the links above. When will people understand or care that bettas are live, sentient creatures and not decorations?
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote