Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #91 
Phantom Miria

Lilnaugrim, thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely do that the next time the power goes out which I'm sure will happen a few more times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What part of Colorado?
Durango, just barely past thew NM border and six hours from Denver. I may barely be in Colorado but the winters here get really brutal from what everyone has said. I'm counting on it though as I came here to snowboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina89 View Post
I just read your entire journal, I love it. I am getting excited about getting plants so watching your whole process has been inspiring. As for Otos i say get them, I love them. Mine usually don't have to be fed they just eat the algae off the glass... mine took about 7 months to actually swim around during the day... for months I thought they had died so don't be surprised if you "lose" them.
First of all thank you so much for taking the time to read my entire journal!! I'm definitely planning on getting some Otto's soon, totally crossed my mind I've seen vid's of them eating off the glass, they are really cool lol. I'm really glad my journal can get you excited and inspire you!! That really means a lot! You just can't give up haha.

Like I said I'm planning on adding some Otto's and a few more CT girls someone on the forums in breeding for me. I'm also going to start up either a 5 or 10 gallon tank with a split most likely for two boys. I have more than enough plants to fill a tank and I really REALLY want to rescue a few of these boys at the local pet shops. It makes me so sad and my heart sinks every time I see them with they're fin rot and nasty water conditions
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #92 
katrina89

Make sure to get plenty of them, because I only have two and I still have to clean some algae off the glass. And thank you for having information for me to get read and get excited about! I've been kind of obsessive about my tank lately with very little funds to actually "add" to the tank haha... so I am living vicariously through you.
katrina89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #93 
Phantom Miria

I actually don't have any algae that I know of (I'm sure I do but can't see it). My glass has always been crystal clear.. in fact I was just noticing that this morning, lol. I'd most likely have to supply them another food source as well which is fine. And of course! If I can even help one other person out or inspire them then that makes the journal and everything I've done worth it. As for cost, the plants are the biggest investment (besides the betta's maybe). I got all my plants here - http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ which is by far the best and cheapest place I've bought from. I have a lot of expensive hobbies, but one thing I love about betta keeping is once everything is in place, you really don't have to keep investing other than fish food.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #94 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Miria View Post
I actually don't have any algae that I know of (I'm sure I do but can't see it). My glass has always been crystal clear.. in fact I was just noticing that this morning, lol. I'd most likely have to supply them another food source as well which is fine. And of course! If I can even help one other person out or inspire them then that makes the journal and everything I've done worth it. As for cost, the plants are the biggest investment (besides the betta's maybe). I got all my plants here - http://www.plantedaquariumscentral.com/ which is by far the best and cheapest place I've bought from. I have a lot of expensive hobbies, but one thing I love about betta keeping is once everything is in place, you really don't have to keep investing other than fish food.
I feel like the lights and gadgets are the most expensive and unpredictable cost... like if a filter or heater or light dies... but yes plants are costly but I have learned to propagate pretty well from youtube so I plan on buying one plant at a time and multiplying them slowly and get rid of all the plastic plants and then taking the time to actually put some soil down... which is going to be a pain in the butt... i hate removing an existing substrate... its just a huge hassle...time consuming and I worry about scratching glass...oo and last time I put sand in I broke my filter haha... all of which are learning experiences... I will buy better sand next time.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:43 PM   #95 
katrina89

this is my tank at the moment... but I changed the lights after this photo was taken lol so one side is brighter because I only bought one bulb
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #96 
Phantom Miria

Nice tank! =] Looks like a... 10g? It has a lot of potential for plant life, you could really make that thing flourish.

As for lights and gadgets.. as you have seen from my journal, the key to a prospering NPT is light. Do not get sold on those expensive $110 LED Marineland strips. All you need is, in you're situation, probably one CFL 6500k+ light in a lamp with decent PAR rating. I got my lamps at Lowe's for $4 each I think, and the two CFL light pack was maybe $10. As for the heater, this is the exact heater I am using - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It got awesome reviews and I've read of it not breaking down. Really don't go cheap on the heater.. especially in a cold climate. The heater was the first thing I bought because back when it was only me, Clare and that little 1/2g fish bowl, she almost died in the winter time.. in Arizona. I never want to have her or my girls at risk again! That heater is so good I've considered buying another. Its gone down in price too, when I bought it I think it was $35.

Other than that I have a Tetra whisper pump I am absolutely happy with, a 2 way gang valve (but I really only recommend one air stone/air outlet), and a Hyrdo 2 sponge filter which is awesome. The pump was $10 and the sponge filter was $12. Another $5 for the gang vale and probably $7 for connectors/hose. A lot of my struggle with tank and plant life was water movement.. neither betta's or plants like a lot of movement. I had to take out my Coliseum's air stone and turn my filter's air output WAY down. With my future 5/10g male tank I'm going to buy the exact same setup I have with my sorority.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #97 
katrina89

I have an aqueon 20 filter... LOVE IT! I've had it a year and never had to change the cartridge.. My heater is Agueon 50watt adjustable... 40$? I think I was robbed but it has been reliable...I bought my first bulb yesterday and was robbed lol 17$ for the colormax 10 watt 6"... I will buy them from amazon from now on, but I love the way it shines omg my tank looks so WHITE!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:28 PM   #98 
katrina89

Oo and yes it is a ten gallon! I eventually would love a 29g bowfront... but thats like in 5 years... maybe 3? :)
Old 10-13-2013, 04:36 PM   #99 
Phantom Miria

Sounds like a good setup you have there! I'd strongly recommend the organic potting soil miracle grow makes like I used, the results are insane! If you wanted a bow front that bad I doubt it would take that long to save up :P
Old 10-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #100 
katrina89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Miria View Post
Sounds like a good setup you have there! I'd strongly recommend the organic potting soil miracle grow makes like I used, the results are insane! If you wanted a bow front that bad I doubt it would take that long to save up :P
Its more about the space and little experience than the money. I want one when we buy a house :)