Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #31 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Babies!!! Oh that cambo girl is definitely beautiful! Normally I don't like cambo's but I'm starting to have more appreciation for them since I just got one in the mail today lol

The lotus looks great!!! I'm super glad the NPT thing is working out well for you ^_^

Also I think the first two pictures of your girls are the same picture....
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #32 
Phantom Miria

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Babies!!! Oh that cambo girl is definitely beautiful! Normally I don't like cambo's but I'm starting to have more appreciation for them since I just got one in the mail today lol

The lotus looks great!!! I'm super glad the NPT thing is working out well for you ^_^

Also I think the first two pictures of your girls are the same picture....
Opps lol you're right, this is the second girl -

She's got a really dark body but these nice vibrant fins, its cool =]

Yeah seeing that tiger lotus made my day lmao!! I'm getting some awesome growth in the npt with only a few plant deaths. Those red plants are rooting out everywhere now!
Phantom Miria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 PM   #33 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

They look great! Make sure to quarentine!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:56 PM   #34 
BettaLover1313

Beautiful new bettas!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #35 
Phantom Miria

Thanks guys!!

More updates, been working my rear off but I still managed to do a tank change and all the individual cups for the grrls. First off I'll show some of the insane plant growth I'm getting (almost every plant is giving out roots from every direction!)-

That is showing my dwarf lily which has showed some incredible growth. I thought it would kind of have to die first and re-root itself.. yeah it just grew like crazy lol.

Also my two remaining females finally came in from Lilnaugrim who I'd like to thank =] The first one is Asteroth-

She is a totally calm and chill grrl. When I had to pick her up for her much needed water change, she literally let me pick her up and didn't struggle at all lol!! She is really pretty =)

This next grrl is a really pretty yellow/orangish Veil Tail (I think, I'm not the best at ID'ing lol). I'm thinking of calling her Apple Bloom-

She is quite feisty but is very friendly and always looks right at me when I take a look into her cup =p She has really cute beady black eyes as well.

In other news after doing my tank change last night, I noticed Clarissa was acting lethargic, staying only at the surface and constantly gasping for air. I quickly checked the NH3 ppm and it was already at nearly 1.5ppm right after the tank change o.O I quickly scooped her out and put her into some fresh water back in her bowl. She's been sulking a bit and mad at me ever since I put her in there, but at least she's safe-

So basically I have this big aquarium that has nothing but snails in it and all my girls in a ton of cups on my Luna wine cooler-

I'm waiting for the NH3 to go down before I put Clarissa in but so far all the grrl's are looking very healthy and of course still a bit shocked which is understandable. I've been refilling there cups with water and treating them each with a drop or two of prime every day and they seem to be doing great.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #36 
Phantom Miria

My ammonia levels are still ridiculously high.. all the time, even after water changes, consistently being from .5-1.5ppm. I think it must be the decomposition of some of the plants since it is still relatively new to getting planted, some are dying off, and some are getting some insane growth. I think it is specifically my Rotala looking plant (I can't remember exactly what it is) which is half dying, and half flourishing presumably from the re-planting. I'm thinking of pulling my girl out again just to be safe.
Old 08-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #37 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yay!! I'm so glad they made it safe! Yeah Asteroth was always a really chill girl lol, except for when she wiggled out of my hand, oh well! And that's a really cute name for the yellow girl! Love it And yes both are female VT girls, Asteroth long finned and yellow girl is just normal with a tad bit of black pineappling on her sides.

As for the ammonia, yeah it's most likely just the plants dying off and all that jazz. As I've said before, NPT's are a pain in the butt to work with at first but after everything settles it's a breeze! So just keep on with water changes and hope it settles soon!
Old 08-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #38 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Your girls look great! I think the ammonia is fairly normal... The plants have to break down and the organics in the soil are decomposing too. You could add hornwort and floating plants like duckweed and water lettuce to suck some of the ammonia up.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #39 
Phantom Miria

The two new girls have been really warming up, of course they seem to be sick of there little containers (I would be too) but they are so excited every time I come over to them, especially Apple Bloom lol :p Asteroth's fin is healing really well and they are both eating a TON of food, they are literally scarfing it down in seconds lol. The other three girls are still a bit scared and hesitant to eat but are starting to warm up. When I feed the cambo girl she attacks the food, its really cute lol. I've really got to think up some good names :s

I did a serious water change and tank clean last night. I discovered a bunch of rotting plant hidden in a patch of moneywort, the red plants and the dwarf lily. I siphoned out probably an entire cup of rotting/decaying plant and clipped off a lot of dead plant (still have a ton of more growth than death, everything is rooting). I think a lot of this might have been responsible for the NH3 level. I got the new water in, let it sit for a few hours, did another test and this time I compared it with tap water. My judgement has been a bit off with the coloring and it looks like I have no NH3 at the moment.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:31 PM   #40 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's great about the tank! Was it the Alternanthera that died? Mine just died, stupid plant lol. I really like the way it looks though so that was unfortunate.

Yeah they're little piggies they are! I'm glad they settled in very quickly, and Asteroth's tail is healing still They're all young so their fin regeneration period is super quick!