Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 
JennNP

Drowning in filter choices

Currently, I have an undergravel filter. I'm over the maintenance, and feel like I just can't do a good enough job keeping the tank/gravel free from debris.

Tank specs:
Currently - Java Moss, Java Fern, Anubias (will be slowly adding more plants over time)
Size - I think it's 3.5gallons. I put the dimensions into different calculators online, and I get different numbers The lowest I get is 3.5, highest is 4.3 so I'm going with 3.5g
Air Pump - Profile 1000 (have no idea what this means..)

I was thinking initially sponge filter. Since I already have an air pump and the tubing. But then I heard they aren't good for plants. I was planning on getting one of those valve things too, to help adjust the flow, in case it's too strong.

Now I'm thinking maybe some sort of internal filter that I can hook onto the inside of the tank. I'm concerned how much room the sponge filter will take. I'd love to keep as much floor space as possible for more plants. I'm also unclear how these internal filters work..will there be a intake sucking up water that I may need to baffle? How easy is set up? Is it like buying a sponge filter..meaning, does it not come with everything I need to get it going?

I can't use a HOB filter. The hood is too much in the way, and it'll be a pain.

So: sponge or internal?
-I want something that will do it's job
-easier maintenance than UGF
-After MANY battles trying to baffle my current UGF, I want a LOW flow and if it does need to be baffled it needs to be able to be done so easy and cheap
-Suitable for my plants

Soooo if you had my set up, what would you go for? Or am I missing a better filter that I should be using? I'm super inexperienced and have been researching this for days and I'm going in circles!!
JennNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #2 
FirstBetta

I have a 5.5 gal, planted tank w/ a gravel/sand substrate for Yankee. I have a sponge filter in the tank. Last WC I added a couple of plants and rearranged 1 or 2 which got some stuff in the water the sponge filter cleaned it up within an hour.

What I'm saying is the way to go for me!

Enjoy!
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #3 
JennNP

with your sponge filter do you use a powerhead or an air pump? do you know which is best for least current?
Old 08-11-2013, 02:06 PM   #4 
Ilikebutterflies

Sponge filters or corner filters are by far the best for bettas. Both run on air. The column shaped sponge filters are my favorite but you can't beat the water clarifying ability of a corner filter stuffed with polishing media. Both require monthly maintenance of removing the sponge/media and rinsing it in treated water. Both are perfectly fine for plants. I have both types in my tanks and have plenty of plants.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #5 
JennNP

What is a corner filter? Is that just an internal filter that fits in the corner? I did find a sponge filter that fits in a corner, I was thinking that may help with the space issue
Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennNP View Post
What is a corner filter? Is that just an internal filter that fits in the corner? I did find a sponge filter that fits in a corner, I was thinking that may help with the space issue
It's a old school box filter they work well but just like a sponge they takeup space in the aquarium

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #7 
FirstBetta

Air pump + air control valve. The valve is to be able to reduce water motion if necessary.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #8 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Even a small sponge filter has more foam than an internal filter. That's more room for the nitrifying bacteria colony. In a small tank with slow-growing plants like you have, that's something to consider. Of course, having said that, you don't need much. Flow control is easier with an air valve.

Here's the sponge filter thread: SPONGE FILTERS: Why and How

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote