Housing
What size is your tank? 1 Gal quarantine tank
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Does not apply, haven't been feeding since she was sick when I bought her, 3 days ago
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Right now every day
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat plus, currently Epsom salt also

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Have not tested, she was sick when I bought her, my tap water is good (I have tested before), and Im doing 100% daily water changes.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She is very bloated, not just her belly but along her entire body. There is no pineconing.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She can only swim on her side, she mostly just leans against the bowl, but will occasionally try to swim.

When did you start noticing the symptoms? I bought her this way, trying to rescue her

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started with 1 tsp Epsom salt/ gallon, with no change I raised this to 2 tsp/ gallon yesterday

Does your fish have any history of being ill? yes, see above
old is your fish (approximately)? unknown, ive had her for 3 days

Please note: I have been treating for swim bladder disorder. I have researched everything possible about her symptoms, and I know that everything points to swim bladder disorder. I am posting this because she is not improving at all. She doesn't look worse either, but she looks miserable. If you have any other treatment ideas, or if you think its possible I overlooked something and should be treating for something different PLEASE let me know!

- on day 1 she had 1 teeny tiny little brown poop. And yesterday she had one teeny tiny white (but not stringy) poop

- I fed her 1 pellet yesterday to see if she had any appetite, and to see if that might get her pooping. She ate like a normal piggy betta, and several hours after that was the teeny white poop.

-She will not eat the daphnia I tried to give her, I am considering trying the pea even though some people say not to
Attached Images

blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #2 
10asartin

Maybe she has SBD in conjunction with an internal parasite? The white poop is not normal and is not a symptom seen with SBD.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #3 
Mashiro

The white poop makes me think she has internal parasites.

Epsom salt is good to use for this, but you will also need something like API General Cure for the parasites.

Best of luck.
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #4 
blufish425

I was thinking possible internal parasites too, I will treat for that. Is there anything to suggest she has an internal bacteria problem? I've also wondered about that just because its common for that and SBD to go together. I just want to be treating the right thing.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #5 
10asartin

Normally, I would think bacterial infection with SBD, but it is the odd poop that has me thinking parasite. If you don't notice any improvement with the parasite medications I would switch over to a med for bacterial infections. Giving the betta 2 days rest between treatments if you feel she can last that long.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 
blufish425

I'm very conflicted on how to treat. It was just one tiny poop that was like normal except white, not long or stringy or anything. Also I considered treating for bacteria because epsom salt is supposed to help with parasites... If I do treat for bacteria what should I use?
Old 08-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is there anything white-ish that she could have eaten like plant roots, any shrimps dead or alive given to her? Betta poop looks like what they eat, so if she ate something white, then it will come out normal just white. So that could be a possibility.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:02 PM   #8 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
Is there anything white-ish that she could have eaten like plant roots, any shrimps dead or alive given to her? Betta poop looks like what they eat, so if she ate something white, then it will come out normal just white. So that could be a possibility.

She in qt tank, no rocks or plants, and I only fed her the 1 pellet.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #9 
blufish425

However, she is so bloated perhaps its from something she ate before I got her?,She was sick on the shelf at least 3 days before I took her, I remember seeing her in the store.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Just wanted to comment about the pea, that's more for fiber than it is for a laxative so that's why it's not good to feed for digestion issues.

Can you get more pictures of her from different angles? I want to see just how bloated she is and if it might not be normal or not. Sometimes they're just bigger than average Betta's and with her fins clamped, it makes it seem even more so that she's bloated when she might not be. So views from the top, sides, front, all of that would be really helpful.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote