betta fish

Old 09-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #1 
kyramacca

Unhappy Clamped fins, fin rot?

Housing
What size is your tank? approx. 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 24 C
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? No.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Nutrafin Max
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once daily.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every two to three days.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 90-100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stresscoat +

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins looking clamped, tip of ventral fin has turned white.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Only a day ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Started changing water daily. I am planning on going to the pet shop today and buying aquarium salt and a general tonic for him.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? I think he has minor clamped fins, like this, once before, but I didn't notice and he got better on his own. However this time I am concerned after a fish died of clamped fins recently.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him 7 months ago, assuming they are about a year old when purchased, just over a year.

I looked after a few fish over the holidays when other people went away, and one had extremely clamped fins. I looked up fin rot, however the symptoms didn't match up - no darker or red areas, and fins did not look to be disintegrating. I didn't know how to treat this fish and it died shortly after it came to me, having had the disease for a month or two previously. I have checked my own Betta for the symptoms of fin rot and all I noticed was the white tip on one ventral fin. I came across the term "clamped fin" while using your website to try and determine what he might be sick with, and looked it up. This is why I am going to get him some salt and tonic tomorrow, however I was just wondering if there was anything else I am missing, and even if I am on the right track with trying to treat him. In the meantime, he is still an active fish, he tends to loop his bowl and swim up and down it, he reacts when I pass a hand over the top, which usually means food, and he still eats all of his flakes.

I have attached two photos of him, one from August when he was healthy, and the other from today.

Thanks!
Attached Images

kyramacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:42 PM   #2 
TiffanyP

Clamped fins isn't a disease in itself, it's just what bettas do when they aren't well usually. In the picture from today he doesn't look clamped at all -just droopy. I'm concerned about his tail fin though with the big chunk missing out of it. Do you know how that happened and when? Regardless, I'd add a double dose of Stress Coat + the next time you change his water.

My suggestions would be to get a heater for his tank - 24C is a bit under what it should be (between 26-28C, 78-82F), and he'll love having the warmer water.

If you have access to frozen (not freeze dried) bloodworms I'm sure he would LOVE some of those. 2-3 worms once or twice a week would make a great treat and add some variety into his diet. And have you tried pellets with him? A good quality pellet would be great for him too :)

Other than that, everything else you're doing looks to be good. I don't see signs of rot on his tail fin, but I'll wait to hear back from you to see if you know how/what caused the chunk to be gone. :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:05 AM   #3 
kyramacca

I'm not sure exactly what happened to his tail, there was a short period when I was away during the holidays so it could have happened then, otherwise I think that his tail is just developing to be a bit more ragged than I originally thought it would.

I think I'll just go and purchase the aquarium salt and tonic to have on hand, and just in case he gets worse. And I will definitely add a double dose of Stress Coat + today.

I'll look into getting him a heater. Next year I plan on upgrading him to a larger tank with filter and heating, I'm just lacking the space to do it this year.

Thank you so much! I will keep you updated. :D
Old 09-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #4 
TiffanyP

In the first picture his tail is whole though, and in the second picture he's missing a large chunk of it... It might be a little ragged on the edges, but it shouldn't have that large of a piece missing. Is there anything in the tank he could have snagged it on? A sharp rock or a plastic plant maybe? I'm stumped as to why his tail looks that way... Would it be possible to get a picture of his tail with flash? Or with you shining a light on it? :)
Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 AM   #5 
kyramacca

Hi there. Yeah, he has a plastic plant in his bowl, I made sure it was soft one when I got it, because he previously had a really sharp one - the pet shop gave it to me with his bowl, and I didn't like it because the paint started coming off and it was so sharp. I got this one making sure that it squished softly in my hand. But I've been thinking about trying to find him a silk plant or something softer instead lately.

These photos are the best I can do at the moment, he doesn't really stay still, so I had to throw a flake in to keep him in one spot.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2013, 11:49 AM   #6 
TiffanyP

I have to do the same to get my guys to stay in one place to get a picture of them too lol

He's so dark, its hard to see it properly, but it really doesn't look like fin rot to me. Just stick with some frequent water changes, and use a double dose of stress coat + til you see some good repair. If anything changes or it gets worse, come back on and we'll help ya out again :)
Old 09-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #7 
kyramacca

Thanks so much for your help! I appreciate it so much. He's my baby.