Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #11 
blufish425

Tried to get better pics but she is completely on her side, and in a 1 gal bowl which makes it hard. The bloating is not concentrated just around her belly ( I would say her belly is slightly to moderately swollen) it is down her entire body (which I guess would make sense because that's where the swim bladder is?) I just wish she could talk, or poop, or something to give me an indication of what caused this.
Attached Images

blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #12 
blufish425

Got a couple better ones with my boyfriends phone
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It looks like she has a bent spine, birth defect. And the swelling looks like Dropsy to me already even if she's not pineconing yet. I hate to give up hope or anything but just keep her on the ES, you can bump it up to 3 tsp/gal to see if that helps anything at all. Parasites would usually be more in a concentrated area and if not in the stomach, tend to make a bulge happen only on one side, at least from what I've seen. But it looks like she's already hit an organ failure mode
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #14 
blufish425

How long will she live like this? Should I euthanize if she pinecones? I don't want her to suffer.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #15 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would bump the Epsom salt dosage to 3 teaspoons/gal. It looks like she has generalized fluid retention/bloating, and a high dosage of Epsom salt may help with that.

Also, can you find any mosquito larvae? If so, rinse one off with a little tank water, then feed it to her. This is their natural diet, so it may help with any constipation, if that's one of her problems.

The bent spine may just be from the bloating. One of my guys bends like that when he becomes constipated. (I guess it's like having gas/cramps in people!)

Poor girl. She does look pretty bloated and uncomfortable.

Do you have any Kanaplex (kanamycin) on hand? If so, I would try using it.... If you don't have this, you can try a sulfa drug, such as API Triple Sulfa or Maracyn Plus. (Must be Plus.) Don't use a sulfa drug if you're allergic to them though!

The antibiotic would be my first choice, but if she doesn't respond to one quickly, you can also try using an antiparasitical such as API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard. (This can be used simultaneously with an antibiotic and Epsom salt.) Look for brand that contains both Metronidazole (Flagyl) and Praziquantel (Droncit). These two medications treat the majority of internal parasites.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 AM   #16 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
I would bump the Epsom salt dosage to 3 teaspoons/gal. It looks like she has generalized fluid retention/bloating, and a high dosage of Epsom salt may help with that.

Also, can you find any mosquito larvae? If so, rinse one off with a little tank water, then feed it to her. This is their natural diet, so it may help with any constipation, if that's one of her problems.

The bent spine may just be from the bloating. One of my guys bends like that when he becomes constipated. (I guess it's like having gas/cramps in people!)

Poor girl. She does look pretty bloated and uncomfortable.

Do you have any Kanaplex (kanamycin) on hand? If so, I would try using it.... If you don't have this, you can try a sulfa drug, such as API Triple Sulfa or Maracyn Plus. (Must be Plus.) Don't use a sulfa drug if you're allergic to them though!

The antibiotic would be my first choice, but if she doesn't respond to one quickly, you can also try using an antiparasitical such as API General Cure or Tetra Parasite Guard. (This can be used simultaneously with an antibiotic and Epsom salt.) Look for brand that contains both Metronidazole (Flagyl) and Praziquantel (Droncit). These two medications treat the majority of internal parasites.

I have maracyn two, would have to order kanaplex and idk that she will live that long. I put a dose of Maracyn two in her bowl, it says it works for dropsy as well as a bunch of other internal bacteria problems... it was all I had for the time being. How quickly should she respond?
Old 08-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #17 
LittleBlueFishlets

Maracyn 2 (minocycline) is an excellent gram-negative antibiotic. The reason I didn't recommend it is because it's been around awhile so some organisms are resistant to it, and because it can be harsh on the kidneys.....

Since she is bloated, it indicates that the kidneys are already struggling to eliminate fluids. Therefore, I didn't want to recommend a medication that could add to kidney stress. (Source: Dropsy in Fish.....)

But if the problem is caused by gram-negative bacteria that is susceptible to minocycline, then she should improve within about 3 days.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #18 
blufish425

Should I switch her to something else or just leave it and see what happens? Do you think its even possible that she could recover from this? She has been bloated at least 6 days at this point.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 AM   #19 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would just leave it. Give it a day or two and see if it helps.... She's still eating, which is a good sign. You said she wouldn't eat daphnia, but I still think mosquito larvae, if you can find some, might help. Or just feed her small meals of a pellet or two. Even though she's bloated, she needs food to have energy and to help her immune system.

Also, covering the top of the tank with plastic food wrap may help. It increases the humidity, which makes it easier to breathe and has has a calming effect. Be sure to leave several inches of air between the water and wrap so she can breathe.

As for whether she'll recover.... it depends on what's wrong with her. As you noted, unfortunately, they don't talk, which makes it difficult for us to really know what's causing the problem.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #20 
blufish425

Ok, I will look for the mosquito larve, and cover the tank. Thank you for all of your help. She seems to be quite a little fighter so I've still got hope for her. I'll update if anything changes.