Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2009, 09:53 PM   #1 
fishyinpa

Slight swelling

Hello again. Well this time I am worried about Morado. I was checking on everybody and his stomach area looks a little swollen. I checked my other males just to see how theirs looked,and they dont look like his. Is this the beginning of dropsy? Or could it be something else. He was overdue for a wc due to my unexpected er visit,so could not getting fresh water cause a problem. What do you recommend I could do for him. Just fresh water?

I do have blackwater extract still from using it for Elvis. Think that would help any? He is eating,but not sure bout pooping. I am gonna do a full change in a moment,so I will see if there is any in there. They didnt get fed for several days,so that should cleaned out their systems though. So im not sure.

Thanks.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:05 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

My only guess would be bloating. I hope he starts feeling better soon!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #3 
fishyinpa

Hmm maybe. Okay thanks. Hopefully a full wc will make him feel better.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you think that being off his regular feeding schedule might have something to do withh it or are fish that sensitive to stuff like that? You could try fasting him for a day or two then feeding him daphnia.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #5 
fishyinpa

I dunno. I was gonna try some daphnia on him. heck ill give all of them daphnia lol. Ill keep an eye on him. I think he always had a slight swell to his stomach though. Just seems a tad bigger now. Not anywhere as bad as the dropsy pictures though. But you can see his scales kinda pushed out.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:27 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Oh my gosh, I hope its not dropsy! I think the scales would be opened all over the body, though.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

Yeah. thats what i was looking at online and looks nothing like it really. But he hasnt been fed every day,so how could he be constipated or bloated lol. I guess it can still happen,but i dunno. I know they say give two small meals over one large,but heck i cant remember to do that all the time. Maybe ill try though.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

So I asked my fishy friend (not a fish lol,but someone who knows lots bout fish) on facebook. I asked on a fish fan page bout Elvis and she replied me. She is very informative and helpful. Shes the one who recommended the blackwater extract for him. He is doing great,so I think she knows what shes talking about haha. So she agrees with the constipation/bloat scenario. Even with not feeding him everyday. Large meals at once can eventually lead to it I guess. So Ill treat him for that for now. Hopefully he gets better and its not more serious,like dropsy. Dont like the thought of that!!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:17 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Me either! I'm leaving in 2 weeks so my bettas' meals will be cut drastically. Aunt Kymmie suggested that I start cutting back their food a week before so I'll do that and when I come back I'll start back gradually to their regular feeding schedule.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #10 
MrVampire181

Thats probably not dropsy since (if you were good) dont feed your fish live food (I hope).
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote