Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 05:37 PM   #1 
Rin52

Tank Mate Question

Hi, I have a male betta (very timid sort of personality) and I would like to upgrade him to either a 10 or ideally a 20 gallon tank. What I'd like to know is what else can I put into either tank.

Thanks for suggestions!
Rin52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

10 gallons are hard to stock, especially since most "compatible" fish tend to be best in groups - who will need more space in the long run.

If you can get a 20, go with non-aggressive fish for choices. Avoid things like barbs - they can be mean!! Some platys can be mean as well as mollies, and even balloon mollies (both molly types live longer in brackish water anyways).

I always found that people on here turn to Harlequins, who are more gentle, and not much of a threat for a betta.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:50 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I have nine male Panda Guppies (half the size of Fancies) and 11 Pygmy Cories with my Bettas in a 20 gallon. No problems whatsoever. Low bioload and, other than the Bettas chasing in short spurts, quite peaceful.

It is a divided tank and only the Cories and Guppies can go through the holes in the acrylic dividers so they have the full 20 gallons. You could also have both species in a 10 gallon. However, either tank needs to be well-planted with live plants.

If you get a 20 and have the space, get the 20 long.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Long tanks are the best! I have one chilling here currently, and I intend to set it up eventually :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #5 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

+1 Sena
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:23 PM   #6 
Rin52

Alright, so I got a 10 gallon (biggest my family would let into the house). I'm planning on making it a NPT if that helps for suggestions.
Rin52 is offline   Reply With Quote