Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 PM   #1 
Graceful

How often should I change the filter?

Blegh, I took out the media to swish it in the tank, as I've seen recommended, and it's covered with thick dark algae on one side. Does this mean I should buy a new media? Is it working properly?
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:11 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

If you want to get the algae off, using the old water you are tossing out, scrape it off. It is actually harmless algae - I never found it to spread (yes, mine has it )

I don't change mind except in these cases: After a vicious disease, medicating, and when the cartridge falls apart!
Sena Hansler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:07 PM   #3 
Graceful

Thanks!
Graceful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:37 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

No problem
Old 08-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #5 
BettaPrincess13

+1 to what Sena wrote!

I made the mistake of changing my filter cartridge after a month or so cause the instructions said to which caused a mini cycle because the old cartridge had BB on it. and thats when I found out you only have to change it after medicating or when its really falling apart but other than that when it gets really dirty to rise it out but not to fully change it out if you don't have to cause BB will sometimes grow on the cartridge
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Usually doesn't cause a problem if done once in a while (for my case, one a year. Or two years. ;D) thanks to BB being everywhere by then! But never listen to the instructions on the product when you buy it It's their way to get your money!
Old 08-12-2013, 04:10 PM   #7 
BettaPrincess13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Usually doesn't cause a problem if done once in a while (for my case, one a year. Or two years. ;D) thanks to BB being everywhere by then! But never listen to the instructions on the product when you buy it It's their way to get your money!
mine is still fairly new it was established the first week of June so its been running for 2 almost 3 months so everything's still stabilizing and me being new and listening to Pet store advice changed it and it wasn't until I came on here that someone told be BB grows on it and that the instructions like you said are made to make you buy more of it but you don't have to change it cause the build up is sometimes BB and it helps the cycling and to just rise it if it gets bad. thank god my fish is a strong fish and wasn't bothered by the nitrite or nitrate spike in the tank X_X my nitrates are still being watched but since then everything else gone to 0 and PH is a steady 7.5 nitrates are at 0 but the colors gone from clear yellow to a deep yellow. so its at 0 as far as my chart goes but i'm keeping in eye on it that it doesn't turn orange >_>;

I can't wait until my tank is completely stable. right now I'm going through the diatoms phase that I can't seem to get rid of and its plaguing everything. New tank probs
BettaPrincess13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well you'll learn - even after you think you have learned everything.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #9 
Micho

The only thing you want to change is the charcoal, it because useless after a few months of use, other than that just wash everything in old tank water, like when you're doing a water change.

Most people ditch the charcoal to be honest, and they just put in another bag of the biofilter thing, where BB grows on.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #10 
sunlight

I read you need to swish/rinse the filter in the tank water weekly? And when it old or falling a part just put new filter in and put old filter behind for a wk or so.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote