Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #31 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice form FB re: patience. Could be more bacteria fell into your fish-in tanks.

All my fish like to hide and sleep in their floating Anubias. I have more Anubias than anything --- tied to rocks and lots floating.

0-.25 is nonstandard terminology, as Jamie explained. To be strictly correct (like you want to impress the physicists and engineers among us) readings should be expressed as eg: 0.25ppm; 1.50ppm; 5.0ppm; etc. The zero starts and/or stops the count and emphasizes the decimal point so there is less chance to misread. And the ppm describes what the numbers refer to. We use the more than sign > and the less than sign < a lot around here.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #32 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Good advice form FB re: patience. Could be more bacteria fell into your fish-in tanks.

All my fish like to hide and sleep in their floating Anubias. I have more Anubias than anything --- tied to rocks and lots floating.
Being patient sucks!

How do you have your anubias floating, just floating on its own, roots flying free and stuff? I want to get at least one more, I really like the one I have, and its a hell of a lot neater than the other one with all the needles dropping everywhere. I just put the one I have with the roots in the sand but the rhizome (and some of the roots) above the sand, and I just placed some black rocks around the base to hide the root. My betta either sleeps on the hammock, or on the tall leaves of the silk plant, so I'm either going to leave one tall silk plant in, unless I can get something live that's tall enough for where he likes to sleep. Maybe I can suction cup an anubias to the side where he sleeps?

I did a water change in this tank yesterday, nitrite was 0.25ppm a couple hours after the change, then this morning it shot up to 2ppm! I hope I can get this under control soon.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #33 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieL View Post
How do you have your anubias floating, just floating on its own, roots flying free and stuff?
Yep. That way it's easy to get out of the way of your siphon. Oh..They also like to build bubble nests under the broad leaves.

Quote:
I did a water change in this tank yesterday, nitrite was 0.25ppm a couple hours after the change, then this morning it shot up to 2ppm! I hope I can get this under control soon.
Persistent nitrite is one of the more frustrating conditions to deal with. Your ammonia eaters are working overtime, and your nitrite eaters are still developing. Minimize ammonia by cleaning, feed sparingly and water changes (2.0ppm nitrite is way too high.)

Quote:
Being patient sucks!
Il love that Gary Larsen cartoon: Two vultures sitting on a branch. One says to the other, "Patience, hell. I'm gonna kill something.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #34 
JamieL

Well after the last nitrite spike I added 2 more anubias, so since I added the 5 or so plants the tank is now reading 0ppm across the board. I'm going to check in a day or two to see if the nitrates start creeping back up. But I'm sold...I'm going out tomorrow for plants for my other tank. I don't know if it was the plants or if the nitrites just finally broke on their own, but they disappeared overnight, so I'm a believer.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #35 
rickey
Banned

Just keep in mind that a planted tank is a whole new can of worms. The plants in themselves become an obsession and finding the balance between healthy plants and healthy livestock can take some time.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #36 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
Just keep in mind that a planted tank is a whole new can of worms. The plants in themselves become an obsession and finding the balance between healthy plants and healthy livestock can take some time.

Rick
I was avoiding plants for that reason, since it was another thing to learn about and maintain, but I'm really enjoying them, and the fish seem to be as well. I'm just trying to do a lot of research, and get lower maintenance plants. I bought seachem flourish, but I haven't used it yet. I already had 50/50 daylight bulbs in the tank, so I'll probably buy the same bulb for the other tank.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #37 
FirstBetta

In the interest of making it easier to understand for old geezer like me, what you want to type is ">0<.25. Not being picky, nor do I wish to insult you but that is the correct way to state that data.

I'm a retired engineer so I tend to be overly correct.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #38 
rickey
Banned

or a Molarity of 4.2585 mcg NH3/L

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #39 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Hehehe...this is good. LoL

Actually, as a retired engineer I would state that as >0.00,<0.25ppm. See my post #31 for my rationale. Using two decimal places agrees with the increments on the test cards... beyond which one interpolates or extrapolates at ones own risk.

How'd you get the molarity equivalency, Rick? I would state that as: 4.2585mcg/L NH3 or NH3 of 4.2585mcg/L... just to keep the delimiter and element expressions separated.

You're welcome, FB.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-27-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 AM   #40 
Blue Fish

As the daughter, granddaughter, neice, and cousin of more engineers and engineering professors than I can count...I love the last three posts on this thread. ;) LOL!

I can still remember building a tack trunk for the barn when I was child, and my father measuring everything to the last millimeter...I thought he was going to tongue and groove the thing before it was all over (because that would be the strongest way to put it together...Nevermind that I was just looking to make a box with a lid to throw muddy boots into...) ;) You have to love engineers. ;)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote