Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2013, 06:32 AM   #61 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Of course you're right. It's been so long since I've seen my low-range pH test, I'd forgotten what they looked like. The 7.6 reading is the crossover between ranges. See what it looks like using the high-range test liquid.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #62 
JamieL

This tank has become a colossal headache. I'm still not cycled, about 57 days now. It seems like the readings jump all over from day to day,nothing seems to go up or down as it should. I bought tetra safe start, and it was about to just use it and put the filter back, but now the display tank has a huge diatom problem I can't seem to get rid of. I'm guessing it's from the lack of water movement, and the light being on. I have otos in my 20L, if they weren't so sensitive I'd put them in there and let them go to town for a couple days, then move them back. I'm about to throw the whole setup out the window.
JamieL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:32 PM   #63 
rickey
Banned

What were the last set of numbers?
Be patent, your near record time for the longest cycle.

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #64 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Possibly make it into the Guinness Book of World Records? lol, sorry I know it's frustrating though.

Diatoms are normal for "newly" set up planted tanks, I say "new" because they can happen any time in I think the first month to the 4th? not entirely sure on that, more of just what I've seen. But they last for only 3-4 months and then burn themselves out never to come back to that tank again. There are no ways to get rid of them, just clean off the leaves of your plants to help them not get choked out and do you regular water changes. You just have to wait the Diatom's out, as ugly as they are. You can get an algae scrubber to scrub the glass or you can use your fingers/hand as well.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #65 
JamieL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickey View Post
What were the last set of numbers?
Be patent, your near record time for the longest cycle.

R
Sunday 0ppm across, dosed ammonia to 1ppm
Monday ammonia 1ppm nitrite .25ppm nitrate 0ppm
Today ammonia .25ppm nitrite 0ppm nitrate 0ppm

I guess I could just wait it out a little longer. I've been fishless cycling it for almost 60 days, but it was running on the tank before that with the fish in since may! I fish in cycled two other tanks in that time!
Lil, this one has no live plants, just a small moss ball. Gravel substrate. I guess I'll just keep wiping it off as I see it and eventually it'll go away? Or I was thinking since this tank is just sitting with no filter while I fishless cycle on the other, I could just take everything out, rinse/wash in hot water and put back.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:22 PM   #66 
JamieL

I'll admit that after the ph crash I got so pissed off, and I was busy redoing another tank, that I ignored it for 4 or 5 days. (The fishless cycle, not the fish!)