Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #1 
TaraHanon

Do Betas....

Normally rest on the bottom on the tank? I've had Kiki for almost a week now and each day he seems to spend a little more time hanging out on the bottom, then he'll just shoot to the top and swim around for a few minutes. Then its back to the bottom. I don't think he's got fin rot or anything.Not that I can tell anyways. He's now eating bloodworms, won't take anything else right now( didn't eat for the first 4 days I had him. I have added aquarium salt, has a heater, filter and his tank is clean. The temp in there usually sits around 79-82, depending on the time off day.

Any advice?
Thanks, in advanc.
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, they do rest on the bottom every so often. If they do it for extended periods of time then something could be wrong.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:07 PM   #3 
TaraHanon

Thanks. I'll keep my eye on him. It seems to be the same spot on the bottom that he hangs out in. I think he likes to play games too.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

They LOVE to sleep. One of mine flops on one of his floating plants and sleeps there :P
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #5 
mullinsd2

He should be fine, my betta tends to dissapear on the bottom of my tank behind his cave (or in it) for a minute or two then pops up and goes to the top for air. THen he will just go back to the bottom or stare at his reflection and flare his gills. If you are having trouble feeding him, then you may have a slight problem (mine gets very excited over food), but his lack of food consumption in the beginning probably came from being placed in a new enviroment. Sounds like you are doing everything you can for your betta! Good job :)

Last edited by mullinsd2; 06-22-2009 at 04:19 PM.
mullinsd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #6 
TaraHanon

He's been swimming around more and being a weirdo, racing around and zipping up the sides and back down. He still won't eat anything but freeze dried bloodworms. There's another pet store I'm going to check out and see if they have the Bio Gold pellets. If not, its gonna be a long drive to get them.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #7 
AngelicScars

My Betta usually chill at the bottom at night. They do have resting periods and it seems like your little guy is doing fine.
My new female CT won't eat either. She is hungry, just is just being picky. She only eats blood worms too, so I'm trying to fast her and encourage her to eat the pellets.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

It seems like the females are the most picky. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #9 
TaraHanon

Hoooray!!! I have found something Mr. Picky will eat! Tetra BettaMin. Its flakes but he sure likes them. I thought I put too much in but he has eaten them all except for the one that sank to the bottom!!
Old 06-23-2009, 07:42 PM   #10 
IonBaller07

Kinda off topic but I was wondering when bettas sleep they rest on the bottom (or decor), then how do they breathe at night since they breathe from the top, do they just sleep a few minutes at a time between air brakes or what.

Last edited by IonBaller07; 06-23-2009 at 07:56 PM.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote