Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #1 
AngelicScars

Question What would you do? Opinions please!

Now that Rex has passed, Azazel will have the tank all to herself. I have no idea what killed Rex, but he was quarantined when he died. Azazel was still in the tank, but I quarantined her just to be sure she doesn't fall ill to whatever got Rex.

If this happened with your fish, what would you do with the tank? Would you just clean it with hot water? Would you bleach everything? Would you change the filter cartridge?

I would really appreciate your opinions no matter if they contradict each other or not. I just need to know how to go about doing this.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #2 
Tigerfish

If the other is is fine I would do partial water changes as normal and test your tank regually you don't want to completely clean your tank as this will stress out your remaining fish and she may die as well. Because hot water will kill the established bacteria in your tank that is essential to the nitrogen cycle. What size tank do you have? What type of fish was Rex?

Tigerfish
Tigerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:33 PM   #3 
dr2b

I would do a complete cleaning of the tank. I would boil any fake plants, decor, and what not. Then I would do a really good cleaning of the tank scrubbing it down well with very hot water. I would also put a new filter cartridge in if it were me. I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to this.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #4 
Vikki81207

I have a question, sorta the same. My cousin gave me a 10 gal tank that was used to house an iguana for a few days. All that I saw was a small poo stain but no pee. My bfs dad told me that sometimes if it's been used for too long that you can't get the reptiles ammonia won't get out and it can kill the fish. Well today I did a thorough cleaning with hot water. I also bought a ammonia neutralizer. So what should I do? Should I clean the tank with bleach or something? Or should I not even bother putting the fish in it?? My bfs dad said that I should fill up the tank, like set it up, buy a cheap goldfish and do a trial run. Leave the goldfish in there for about a week and see how it goes. What are your opinions? Have you used a tank that was once used for a reptile? Do you think the ammonia neutralizer will help? Help please!
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #5 
AngelicScars

It is a 10 gallon tank and Rex is/was a veiltail Betta.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You CAN bleach the tank out but you have to rinse, rinse, rinse and then sit the tank in the sun for a few days to make sure the bleach is out. I don't know if vinegar will sanitize everything or not.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:40 PM   #7 
Vikki81207

Well what do you think about the ammonia neutralizer??
I'm going to do the goldfish thing. I guess we'll see how the tank is.
If it doesn't work out, then I'll bleach, and try again.
I want to make sure everything is safe for Merlin.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #8 
Vikki81207

Okay so I just read something that said if the ammonia levels are okay, then the fish will be okay. because all lizard pee is ammonia. So I put in that ammonia neutralizer, and conditioner and a tiny bit of aquarium salt. Going to get a fish to test (even though this kills me). Hopefully it will be able to house Merlin. I will try to get ammonia tester tomorrow.
I'm thinking about getting a female betta to use (I'm pretty confident that the ammonia neutralizer will work) so when I put Merlin in I can put her in another tank. But the thing is...the only tank I have has fish in it already. Would it be okay to house her with a pleco, comet goldfish, tinfoil barb, danio, hatchet fish and two little red fish. Sorry I'm asking so much, lol.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Goldfish are coldwater fish and bettas are tropical so they have different temperature requirements.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #10 
Vikki81207

Dang. Well the water sits at about 79 degrees and all the fish seem to be doing fine.
I don't know, maybe I'll just get another comet goldfish, that way I can just put him with the others. I was just really interested in getting a female.