Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2009, 01:52 AM   #11 
AngelicScars

I think I might just do a good hot water scrub. I'll try to boil anything in the tank I can and I will be disposing of the cartridge and replacing it with a new one.

There is a bio fiber cartridge that is suppose to never be replaced in the filter along with the regular cartridge. Do I just rinse that really well with hot water? Boil it? Or just full on replace it? (if I could even find a replacement).
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #12 
Tigerfish

If you totally bleach and clean everything you'll have to start from square one with the cycling process. I would start with one fish to start the cycling takes 6-8 wks until an established tank.

Nitrogen Cycle by Byron
Toxic substances are produced at various stages whenever fish (and plants) are placed in an aquarium. In a biologically balanced aquarium, exactly as in nature, living organisms (bacteria) remove or convert the various toxic substances through what we term the nitrogen cycle. Ammonia is the first toxic substance and it is produced by all fish through respiration, excrement and urine, and it also is produced by all decaying matter (plant and fish, uneaten food, etc). Ammonia is highly toxic to fish and plants. Ammonia (NH3) is consumed by nitrosomonas bacteria by oxidation, creating nitrite (NO2), the second stage of the cycle. Nitrite is also toxic, although slightly less so than ammonia. Another bacteria, nitrobacter, consumes nitrite and converts it to much less toxic nitrate (NO3) which is released back into the water. Nitrate is only toxic at very high levels. In a biologically established aquarium nitrates are used by plants (if there are any) and algae as nutrients, some is converted by anaerobic bacteria in the substrate and the filter (sometimes) to obtain oxygen [nitrogen gas (N2, another toxin) is always produced in this process and it is released at the water surface], and most of it is removed through regular partial water changes performed by the aquarist.

It takes time for each of the bacterium to become established, and that is the reason for the 2-8 week cycling period. Nitrosomonas bacteria will only appear if ammonia (their "food") is present, and similarly nitrobacter bacteria only appear when nitrite is present. Both types of bacteria multiply (through osmosis) as their respective food sources increase, and if the ammonia or nitrite should decrease, the respective bacteria will die off accordingly. Once established (after 8+ weeks) they can multiply fairly rapidly to handle increases in the bioload provided the increase is not too great. That is why you add new fish slowly and over time, so that the bacteria have time to multiply in relation to the additional "food" which is important to prevent stress on the fish.

There is one further element to mention. At an acidic pH (below pH 7.0) ammonia largely converts to ammonium which is not toxic and is used by the plants. Nitrobacter will still use ammonium as well as ammonia so the nitrogen cycle is the same. Your ammonia test kit reads ammonia and ammonium equally as ammonia, which is fine for the purpose of knowing what is occurring with the nitrogen cycle. In an aquarium where there is ammonium in preference to ammonia, and if there are plants, the plants perform much of the function of a biological filter, which is one reason why living plants are a practical component of an aquarium.

Byron.

Hope this helps it helped me

Tigerfish
Tigerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good info.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #14 
IonBaller07

Its really up to you and the risk you want to take, but if it were me I would leave her in there right. She was already in the tank when he got whatever killed him, right? If so Id be willing to bet she would already have what he got if he got something. So I wouldnt worry stressing her out to bleach it all and stuff.

Sorry if I missed a part of something earlier or this was already said, its late and I dont feel like reading
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:43 PM   #15 
AngelicScars

I didn't use bleach or anything, just used really hot water to clean the tank. I just didn't want to risk it.
I know it's a huge debate, but I don't cycle my tanks. I do water changes enough to avoid ammonia build up. I've read that fish do fine with or without cycling, it just depends on how you maintain the tanks.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:47 PM   #16 
crowntail lover

I would do all three!!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think its fine to not cycle as long as the tanks are maintained, like AngelicScars said.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #18 
Vikki81207

Okay I bleached the tank, the goldfish didn't look too good. So I put him in our 50 gal and bleached it. Then rinsed it in the bathtub. It's raining right now, so I can't put the tank in the sun. But once it comes out, do I let it sit in the sun outside or inside, and for how long? I'm gonna try to pick up a new testing kit to.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't know if it makes a difference whether its inside sun or outside sun.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #20 
Vikki81207

Okay I had it outside, but if I can find a good spot inside, then I'll just do it inside.
Thanks.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote