Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 PM   #11 
Noctiluca

Definitely lucky!

So, given that I have a multicoloured male, crossing with a black dragonsale female would work reasonably well, right? (...I only ask because there are two up on Aquabid right now.)
Noctiluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #12 
bambijarvis

You probably won't get any black dragons in the first generation. But you should get some partial dragons. You can always breed sibling together from the spawn, or back to the mother though.
Out of curiosity what girl are you looking at?

------
For those looking for a picture of another dragon scale VT(still missing a few scales):

this is the boy I mentioned the other day.

there is another partial dragon for sale right now, probably from the same spawn, but it's also Australia only.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #13 
Noctiluca

There are a few plakat females up right now. These two I like;

(And boy is that guy flashy!)
Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #14 
Mar

Oh my gosh, that betta is beautiful!
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noctiluca View Post
Definitely lucky!

So, given that I have a multicoloured male, crossing with a black dragonsale female would work reasonably well, right? (...I only ask because there are two up on Aquabid right now.)
I'm guessing the multicolor involves both irid and red - crossed to a black dragon = you won't have any full dragon scales. Some may be partial of any multi color (irid, red, or copper) . . . highly depends on the genetic background of the parents and though theory says certain genes are more dominant, but IMO who's genes out of the pair is dominant (has stronger background). You will have to further breed F1 siblings for both color and form.

Wow, Those are gorgeous females. It would be a shame to breed them to a VT. But who knows, you might eventually get HMs (if you work on the delta tails). . . . Form wise, to my experience is similar to color - it doesn't always follow the theory. It more depends on who's genes are stronger. That being said, though theory says you should get more VT, in reality you might get more of other forms. The possibilities are; VT, delta T (long and short finned), long finned round tail, classic round tail PK, delta tail PK, HMPK, in between tail (too short to be long finned but too long to be a PK)
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:55 AM   #16 
Mar

This thread has a lot of DSVTs on it that you can look and ogle at.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #17 
Noctiluca

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
[snip]
Wow, Those are gorgeous females. It would be a shame to breed them to a VT. But who knows, you might eventually get HMs
Technically looking to stay with VTs while working on dragonscale within the tail type. I don't think I'll be getting either of them, but a girl can dream, right?

I do know it will take at least two, if not more generations to get anywhere. Probably more since I'm a newbie

RE my guy though, red, blue iridescence, and possibly cambodian or something? I attached a picture if someone wants to help me out. (Please excuse the fins, old pic from when he was getting over a bad case of rot)

A question on the dragonscale and metallic genes though, do you need one to work with the other? I've read some writeups saying you need metallic genes for dragonscale to be expressed, but others saying the two are unrelated.

There also seems to be quite a bit of confusion over what to call metallic vs what to call dragonscale. Totally not helping my brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar View Post
This thread has a lot of DSVTs on it that you can look and ogle at.
The thread that led me to this forum! I was looking for VT dragonscales and one of those pics popped up on google- 100% drool-worthy.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #18 
Seki

Out of curiosity, were you looking for a DSVT? My local Pet Supplies Plus has two males right now... I could pick one up and ship him to you if you would like.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 PM   #19 
Mar

:O! Even if she doesn't want them, can you please post photos up?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #20 
Seki

I was in a rush because I had my dog with me (well, my brother's dog) and I couldn't take pictures of them. One had red fins and very bright white dragonscaling. The other had blue dragonscaling and I can't remember the color of his fins. The cups were pretty gross and the red one had some rot going on, but it's perfectly curable. I'll try and get back down there to take pictures. I really would have brought one home, but I don't even have a QT tank for him at the moment and I have no money for one right now. This sick rescue of mine has wiped me out. Plus... I have fifteen bettas... let's talk about that... >.<
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, dragon, veil tail