Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2009, 09:53 PM   #1 
angie08

Unhappy I have NO IDEA what is wrong with my fish.. ....

so i just joined this site because it seems to have very good info. on it. and my Betta fish.... idk whats wrong with it. i looked at so many posts and idk.
to just get all the details in, so it might be long. I got my Betta fish around May 15. I got a male and so far I've just been calling him fishy. the first week i had him he was soo happy.. with the biggest bubble nest. and i didnt know what that was at the time... so i found this site. anyways he moved around so much and was very active. i fed him 2-3 pellets in the morning when i got up for school and at night around 7 or 8 pm. I was so satisfied that bubble nests meant my fish was healthy and happy. After a week and a few days I did his first water change/ fish bowl cleaning. it wasn't as hard as I thought. went well. That was all done i put drops into his water to make it pure or whatever and waited a little bit. he seemed fine and normal for a while then he started floating kinda at the top kinda sitting there, not moving alot. he had a small bubble nest then. he was still eating fine too. then he started acting lethargic and I called a friend and I just did another water change. I read on here that they can get stressed out. .and I wondered if he was sitting at the top cause of that. ...or if he's sleeping??? ? idk how a fish sleeps. lol. so it continually happened.. i would clean the tank, put drops in... he's be fine.. then this weird thing after a day or two. Now this week he just seems to be getting worse. he has a little bit of curl on the end of two of his main fins.. idk if thats just him or something bad.. . but it seems its getting worse. he had a little curl like that when i got him though. he also seems to be loosing his color a little bit behing his little fins. and he hasnt been eating much this week.. ..and NO bubble nests... .he tried eating a pellet that was blown up from the water but he is a small fish so he couldnt. he seems to have a problem eating his food this week or doesnt like it. ... ?? ?i have no idea. we did a water check at petsmart they said the water was acidic probably from his food that would be at the bottom. but he usually eats all and is fine. so i think thats all ...... its alot. it someone can HELP... that would be soooo amazing.

Last edited by angie08; 06-10-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: adding on
angie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #2 
TianTian

Woah, slow down.

First, hi and welcome to the forum!

Second: is there a heater in your tank?
Bettas become VERY lethargic in cold water. They're tropical fish and thrive around 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

Third: What exactly are you putting in the water to make it "pure"? The only thing you need is water conditioner and some clean water.

Please clarify and we'll be glad to help. :)
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #3 
Vikki81207

The curling of the fins sounds like fin rot. Use aquarium salt, and find something to treat it with.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #4 
dr2b

Tian tian asked all the questions I was thinking of. But also, you shouldn't leave food sitting in the tank... can make the water acidic and that is really not good for the betta.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #5 
TianTian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikki81207 View Post
The curling of the fins sounds like fin rot. Use aquarium salt, and find something to treat it with.

Curling or clamping, specifically? Either is bad, true, but clamping can occur when a fish is lethargic from cold, illness, etc.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

How often do you change his water? What are you feeding him? How big is his tank? And does he have any discoloration in his fins? Do you use water conditionar?
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #7 
dr2b

Is he in a tank by himself or with any other fish?
Old 06-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #8 
TianTian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowntail lover View Post
How often do you change his water? What are you feeding him? How big is his tank? And does he have any discoloration in his fins? Do you use water conditionar?

EEEEeeee so many questions!!! This is fun. Let's see if she answers.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

Oh I didn't know it could be from cold water too. lol.
Maybe my babies don't have fin rot.
But their tanks stay about 78 to 80. I dunno.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:09 PM   #10 
dr2b

My little one used to curl his fins from day one when I picked him out. But now that I have him in his tank with a heater he rarely curls them. I am amazed by how different of a fish he is now in this new tank.

Tags
acting strange, sick, sits at the top, won't really eat his food