Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 12:26 AM   #1 
Twixies

Unhappy Not Eating

Hey guys, so as you can see, my little guy isn't eating... It seems as though he would just eat a pellet or two, swim to the back of the tank, and then spits the pellets out. I wanted to ask if there's a way to get him eating again.

I feed him Omega One, his tank is 80 degrees with a heater. He's not legarthic, made a bubble nest yesterday, seems normal, just not eating. Thanks in advance.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 AM   #2 
Syriiven

Has he eaten it before? He may just be changing his preference, it happens. Try a different food, frozen brine shrimp or blood worms if you can, or NLS if you can find/afford it. New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets/flakes have a bit of natural garlic flavouring which is rumoured to make them more appetizing, but it's also a very high grade food for bettas.

If he eats nothing at all for a while (after attempting different foods with no change), you might want to try a tsp/1gal epsom salt (pure, no fragrance or coloring - found at Walmart, Pharmacies, most places) for a few days, but no more than 10.

And watch for any new symptoms - changes in appearance or behaviour.

Goodluck, and let us know how it goes!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #3 
Twixies

Well, I just tried feeding him some FD bloodworms and he gobbled it up, but no pellets still, maybe he just doesn't like it anymore? He has eaten it for a long while now, should I just only feed him worms from now on? I always thought of them as treats. I don't know if getting some NLS pellets would be any better, would it?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:04 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

I would fast him for a few days and then feed him the pellets... If you keep feeding him his desired food, you're encouraging him. (like dogs, haha) FD foods barely have anything in them, air really.

The NLS has garlic in them, might attract him to it.

I wouldn't go the salt route unless he's bloated or anything internally involved. (:
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:56 PM   #5 
Twixies

I'll go and look for NLS tomorrow then, thanks
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #6 
Twixies

I was going to buy NLS today, but I have to watch my sister, but he ate today! YAY! But I will go get NLS when I have time, just in case, plus he can get a varied diet, I'm sure he'll be happy about that.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #7 
Syriiven

Its considered a plus, especially if it involves a hig-grade pellet + frozen foods. Some fish stores even have live foods you can feed them if you're willing to take care of the live things. Worms, brine shrimp and such.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #8 
Twixies

I got NLS for small fish yesterday and just tried to feed it to him, he tried it but spit it back out, after taking out the uneaten pieces, I tried feeding him OO, but he didn't even put the pellets in his mouth! What do I do? Fast him some more?
Old 08-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Yep, maybe fast 3-4 days now.. It won't hurt him whatsoever. My betta did the same yours did, he ate after a week or so.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:03 PM   #10 
Twixies

Thanks, I'll try that.