Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #11 
itamag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
I am not saying LED won't work-I haven't any personal experience with LED's and NPT's. All I can base my info on regarding LED and plants is what I have researched when I was looking to switch over to LED lights-Long story short...I couldn't afford the LED's rated for the species of plants I grow.

Soil-I like to dig mine from my yard and back pasture. I have used several different store bought potting soils and top soils that work fine too. You want to avoid soil with a lot of added ferts/chemical over and above natural ferts.

My soil based tanks are clean naturally-water is crystal clear-some mulm/debris build up around some hard scape and plants but nothing major. Even after I pull plants and get lots of dirt in the water column-within a few min the water will be clear again. Once you achieve balance within the system your water is clean enough to drink-You have both good and bad bacteria, microorganisms and other micro-critters that you can't see that keep your water clean and clear......Its all about balance......too clean from too many water changes can sometimes do more harm than good....
If I have a yard with a few trees and some other plants, with fertilization but not chemicals that I know of, can I use the soil? Is there some way to decontaminate soil like this for aquarium use?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:30 AM   #12 
Micho

Quote:
Originally Posted by itamag View Post
If I have a yard with a few trees and some other plants, with fertilization but not chemicals that I know of, can I use the soil? Is there some way to decontaminate soil like this for aquarium use?
Hi there, sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately since it has fertilizers in it, it cannot be used, I actually have no clue if there is a way to decontaminate the soil but you're best off finding a place where you can buy organic potting soil.

If all fails you'll have to order it once again, but since gardening is a popular hobby in a lot of countries I'm sure you'll be able to find it somewhere.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #13 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Depending on the type of fertilizer used, how long ago and how many times it has rained.....IMO/E-You might still be able to use your dirt-I would dig down at least 18 inches to harvest the soil for aquarium use.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #14 
itamag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Depending on the type of fertilizer used, how long ago and how many times it has rained.....IMO/E-You might still be able to use your dirt-I would dig down at least 18 inches to harvest the soil for aquarium use.
Thanks! I'll check that when I can. Is there a way to check if the soil's good? Like some chemicals test kit or something weird happening to a non-fitting soil?
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Not sure-but you might be able to take or send a soil sample to your county ag department. In my state we have a web site that we can refer too regarding soil and soil testing....

You also could setup a 1gal jar add 1 in of your soil-then cap that with half inch of sand or gravel-add/plant a few rooted plants and a few to float along with some floating plants-place it so it get some sun in a window or outside-South or East window are best. Add some snails...Observe.....Snails have poor tolerance of most toxic substances. Be sure and have a control 1gal jar too-one without soil but with the same plants and snails sitting side-by-side....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:02 AM   #16 
itamag

Thank you! I still have a few questions, if you don't mind.
Are two betta fish and one to no snails or shrimps in a 7.3 gal enoughr for an NPT? If not, what would you suggest?
What livestock would you reccomend for a 3.5 gal NPT?
What filter would you reccomend?
I've heard of fertilized tank substrate. Is it good for NPTs, and what do you think of the fluval brand's?
What amounts of plants would a 7.3 and a 3.5 gal NPTs require?

Again, thank you very much!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 AM   #17 
Micho

Quote:
Thank you! I still have a few questions, if you don't mind.
Are two betta fish and one to no snails or shrimps in a 7.3 gal enoughr for an NPT? If not, what would you suggest?

I'm assuming there's going to be a divider, and yes two Bettas in a 7.3 NPT will produce enough waste for a NPT.

What livestock would you reccomend for a 3.5 gal NPT?

A Betta & some shrimps/a snail. Or you could do an all shrimp tank, RCS are probably one of the easiest caring dwarf shrimps, and will reproduce in the right circumstances.

What filter would you reccomend?

For a 3.5g? Probably this one.

I've heard of fertilized tank substrate. Is it good for NPTs, and what do you think of the fluval brand's?

Those would work, I've heard they become a mush after a year or so, like decomposing but I'm not sure I've never used them. They should be fine for a NPT, they're designed for supporting plant life in the first place.

What amounts of plants would a 7.3 and a 3.5 gal NPTs require?

That really depends on how you scape your tank so I couldn't really tell you.

Again, thank you very much!
Hope this helps. :)
Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM   #18 
Stone

finnex has some smaller clip on style leds that are fairly cheap and will support plants easy enough, with leds it will always cost more up front but saves you in the long run on bulb replacement and power usage, there is also the finnex fugerays that are fairly cheap compaired to most

Last edited by Stone; 08-18-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #19 
itamag

Does someone have any experience with fertilized substrates? And micho, what do you mean by how I scape my tank?
Old 08-19-2013, 03:40 AM   #20 
Micho

Quote:
Does someone have any experience with fertilized substrates? And micho, what do you mean by how I scape my tank?
How you design your tank, you could do a jungle look and fill it up completely or aquascape to your liking and do some cool design.

It's really up to you, therefore it's hard for us to tell you how much plants you would need.