Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #21 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
But basically, how many plants would you need for the system to work?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 AM   #22 
ao
TFK Moderator
 
ao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NYC
about 70% coverage of your substrate. with most being fast growing stems


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #23 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aokashi View Post
about 70% coverage of your substrate. with most being fast growing stems


Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Okay, thank you! Is it 70% with or without flowing plants? I really have no knowledge about plants. What kinds of plants are there? What plants are fat growing?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 AM   #24 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
The more fast growing stem plants the better-Its the active plant growth that helps keep the soil/water safe for the livestock. The key is active growing plants-you should need to make your first plant trim within 7-10 days of setup.

The first 3 months are the critical months and the time when the soil is maturing and starting its life underwater-The active plant growth is what keeps your water safe.

I trust my methods and have never lost any livestock-I stock my tanks the same day to no later than 24h after setup-I may or may not make water changes on a regular basis in the beginning-it depends on tank size and if I am using a filter or not, however, I do recommend at least 50% water only weekly for the first month at least-then on a as needed basis.

Remembering-with the soil based heavy planted tanks are pretty much instant cycled. The nitrogen cycle or beneficial bacteria are already in the tank from the soil, live plants...etc.....All you have to do is maintain it and keep the bacteria healthy and thriving to colonize on every spot within the tank.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #25 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The more fast growing stem plants the better-Its the active plant growth that helps keep the soil/water safe for the livestock. The key is active growing plants-you should need to make your first plant trim within 7-10 days of setup.

The first 3 months are the critical months and the time when the soil is maturing and starting its life underwater-The active plant growth is what keeps your water safe.

I trust my methods and have never lost any livestock-I stock my tanks the same day to no later than 24h after setup-I may or may not make water changes on a regular basis in the beginning-it depends on tank size and if I am using a filter or not, however, I do recommend at least 50% water only weekly for the first month at least-then on a as needed basis.

Remembering-with the soil based heavy planted tanks are pretty much instant cycled. The nitrogen cycle or beneficial bacteria are already in the tank from the soil, live plants...etc.....All you have to do is maintain it and keep the bacteria healthy and thriving to colonize on every spot within the tank.
Thank you for all the help! What are some fast growing stem plants that can thrive with LEDs? And I didn't even know it was a possibility to set up an NPT without a filter. What water changing routine would you suggest for a 7.4gal unfiltered? Do you have any opinion on fertilized tank substrates, and do you find them equal to regular soil?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #26 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
The more fast growing stem plants the better-Its the active plant growth that helps keep the soil/water safe for the livestock. The key is active growing plants-you should need to make your first plant trim within 7-10 days of setup.

The first 3 months are the critical months and the time when the soil is maturing and starting its life underwater-The active plant growth is what keeps your water safe.

I trust my methods and have never lost any livestock-I stock my tanks the same day to no later than 24h after setup-I may or may not make water changes on a regular basis in the beginning-it depends on tank size and if I am using a filter or not, however, I do recommend at least 50% water only weekly for the first month at least-then on a as needed basis.

Remembering-with the soil based heavy planted tanks are pretty much instant cycled. The nitrogen cycle or beneficial bacteria are already in the tank from the soil, live plants...etc.....All you have to do is maintain it and keep the bacteria healthy and thriving to colonize on every spot within the tank.
Thank you for all the help! What are some fast growing stem plants that can thrive with LEDs? And I didn't even know it was a possibility to set up an NPT without a filter. What water changing routine would you suggest for a 7.4gal unfiltered? Do you have any opinion on fertilized tank substrates, and do you find them equal to regular soil? Because I'm a rookie, I'd like to keep the NPT fishless for a while to make sure nothing's wrong. How would you reccomend doing it (anything to check for, what to "feed" the tank?)
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #27 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
I can't say much regarding the LED lights and plant growth due to never using them....But fast growing plants for soil based systems are just about any of your stem plants-usually sold in bunches of 6-12 stems without roots. Every tank can vary on what grows best and why I recommend starting out with at least 3 different kinds of stem plants.

I don't always start out with filters and with some that I do start with filter I may or may not remove it later-once the soil is mature-This also depends on the tank size. All of my 25gal and under NPT are without filters-well...except for the plants-IMO/E active plant growth is one the best filters you can use. On my bigger tanks that I do have filters it is more for water movement than anything else.

I have only kept soil based planted tanks and so I can't help on the other substrates.

I always add my stock in the same day to within 24h of setup.

You can go fishless or livestockless in general if you wanted-Remember the plants are alive and function just as a fish would in regards to feeding the beneficial bacteria-Anything organic will hold the nitrogen cycle.

By understanding how the nitrogen cycle works and the needs of the beneficial bacteria responsible for the nitrogen cycle will help you understand and help make you feel more secure. As long as the needs are met-the BB will colonize and thrive-Just like anything living- the BB-need a place to live, food and oxygen-Supply this and all should be fine-Remember-plants produce oxygen as a by-product-this is usually enough for the BB-same with a place to live and food-most plants provide all of this for the BB...Live active growing plants=healthy, thriving, colonizing BB for the nitrogen cycle....

Water change routine for a 7.4gal unfiltered tank-this would vary depending on the setup-If its a soil based with active growing live plants-once mature-WC 3-4 times a year. If its a regular substrate with a few plants-50% weekly at least and this could vary too depending on plants and stocking...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #28 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Thanks! I'm much more confident about this project now! Only a few questions left haha
Are there any rules to follow regarding flowing plants? Like, amount, maintenance etc.
What's the thing with stem plants and plants that need to be tied? How do you do it?
Is a filter unecessary in the setup too?
Just to be sure I'm clear, snails are not essential to clean the substrate?
If there are small snails on the plants, what should I do with them?
Do you trim plants with regular scissors? Are there any rules to follow when trimming (when, how much?)

Thank you!
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #29 
Oldfishlady
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: USA
IMO/E-common snails are a natural part of the soil based NPT and needed, however, they can take over and you need to manually remove them on a regular basis. IMO/E-the trumpet snail are even more important for the soil based systems since they can help prevent anaerobic soil by burrowing to bring oxygen into the soil layers.

Like with anything in a closed system-some care will be needed on a regular basis-Nothing is totally self care and if you think about it...how much fun would that be...lol....personally, I like working on my tanks-thats part of the fun.

I see a lot of post from members that want plants that stay small or don't grow fast. While that would be nice in some cases-we are dealing with living organism that grow-true, you can stunt or slow the growth-but that can have a negative impact on the plant and system IME.

If your plants are not in active growth they are not eating and if not eating the water could go bad.

I don't use anything fancy to plant, trim or care for my plants-my best or number one tool that I use is my fingers and finger nails. I plant using my finger and trim plants by pinching them. On occasion I will have to use a razor or scissors to cut the woody stems of some plants.

The natural soil based planted tank are as close to an ecosystem that you can create in a closed system IMO/E-Once mature they need very little care, however, its still a closed system and needs some care from time to time.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 04:15 AM   #30 
itamag
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
IMO/E-common snails are a natural part of the soil based NPT and needed, however, they can take over and you need to manually remove them on a regular basis. IMO/E-the trumpet snail are even more important for the soil based systems since they can help prevent anaerobic soil by burrowing to bring oxygen into the soil layers.

Like with anything in a closed system-some care will be needed on a regular basis-Nothing is totally self care and if you think about it...how much fun would that be...lol....personally, I like working on my tanks-thats part of the fun.

I see a lot of post from members that want plants that stay small or don't grow fast. While that would be nice in some cases-we are dealing with living organism that grow-true, you can stunt or slow the growth-but that can have a negative impact on the plant and system IME.

If your plants are not in active growth they are not eating and if not eating the water could go bad.


I don't use anything fancy to plant, trim or care for my plants-my best or number one tool that I use is my fingers and finger nails. I plant using my finger and trim plants by pinching them. On occasion I will have to use a razor or scissors to cut the woody stems of some plants.

The natural soil based planted tank are as close to an ecosystem that you can create in a closed system IMO/E-Once mature they need very little care, however, its still a closed system and needs some care from time to time.

So a snail is crucial for the NPT, I mean the bought snails, like the trumpet snail? If the trumpet is not avilable, what other snails can I use? I am having some doubts, and would like to hear your opinion. My tank will be divided for two bettas. Now, what will happen if say, one dies or is sick? I know about QT tanks, but what about the water? Do you need to start over when this happens? And what if some plant has a disease?

I'm not sure if I'll change my current tank into an NPT or buy a bigger one, mainly because of two bettas being more demanding than one. What do you think? It seems to me that with more than one fish everything's harder with diseases and such.

If I have one snail and two male bettas, should I change the snail's side every once in a while?

Lastly, I would appreciate it if someone could write a basic list of plants for a 7.4gal, perferrably low light and maintenance ones. Something like a basis to go by for the first-timer, that will guide me generally for the amount and kinds of plants.

Thank you very much, you've been so helpful!
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did you ever consider the possiblity of failure with NPT's when you started NPT's? jadaBlu Planted Betta Tanks 18 08-03-2013 09:05 PM
Can you use colored gravel at all in an NPT or do half npt tank succesfully? jadaBlu Planted Betta Tanks 3 06-23-2013 09:23 PM
First NPT :) Ilikebutterflies Planted Betta Tanks 1 06-09-2013 08:45 PM
Beginner with NPT: Converting 5 gallon to 10 gallon NPT Psylk87 Planted Betta Tanks 3 01-14-2013 08:29 AM
My new and first NPT kingofthefishppl Planted Betta Tanks 5 10-30-2012 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.