Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #1 
TianTian

Talking I bought another Betta.

So I did it. I tried to talk myself out of it. I tried to wait it out and reasoned that I needed a job first (which I still do, haha)...

I bought another Betta.

Anyway, so EPIC STORYTIME:

I woke up this morning and convinced myself that I'd buy JUST the bowl until I could upgrade to a 5 gallon tank for both of my boys. Given that I do not have a car, I biked a total of 7 miles to my local fish store and back home in sweltering heat, armed with only a backpack, ten bucks and a water bottle. I was only going to get a large bowl, I reasoned.

I finally arrived at the pet store, literally dripping with sweat. I hadn't ridden my bike for a while, and I was a little winded with the trip! I parked my bike inside the store and started to browse.

I happened by the Bettas and noticed that they had JUST gotten in new stock!! What luck! So I started to browse... and browse some more. And eventually bought this tiny, orange male with transparent fins. I had a hard time deciding between him and a big, red male with a white face and black eyes. I settled with the orange one, simply because orange is a rock-awesome color and I figured a bright-colored fish would compliment Tian-Tian's dark looks nicely.

I paid for my purchases, fish, 1 gallon container (until I could upgrade) and a grassy plant similar to Tian-Tian's.

I then faced a problem I hadn't thought of: How was I going to get this poor fish home on a bike???

I wound up putting the baggie, that he was in, into the container, in a plastic bag and IN MY BACKPACK. I prayed that he wouldn't cook inside my dark, hot bag!

I raced home, praying and trying not to jostle him much as I dodged wild drivers on the road, barking dogs and steep downgrades in the road.... not to mention all of the potholes!

I finally arrived home and quickly unpacked my hot bag... and found my little guy, calm, collected and ALIVE.

I started to float him in Tian-Tian's tank water, since Tian's was at room temperature and I felt my new boy needed to cool off a bit after such a hairy ride! Of course, Tian-Tian was very peeved that I had acquired another baby and the two had a brief flaring contest before I finally put my new Betta into his mini tank. (In size comparison, Tian-Tian is HUGE)

Since he's been in his tank, he's been calm and has even eaten a little.

May I present to you: Taco, the delta-tail male Betta!

Webcameras make for awful pictures.
Whatever.

He has a cave! He just swam into it and poked his head out... oh, I wish I had a better camera!!!

Where you can see an outline of green where his tail should be... there's no green there. That's just reflected off of his stones. His tail is literally transparent. His lower fin even has a random, transparent splotch.

So now I have Tian-Tian and Taco, Betta-team duo (Tian's jealous. ). I can't wait to see Taco color up a bit!
TianTian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Very pretty!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

He's so pretty!! I can't wait until he colors up!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 PM   #4 
TianTian

Thanks, y'all!

I don't know if it's possible for Bettas to pout, but Tian-Tian is DEFINITELY pouting, haha. My attention is now gonna have to be divided between the two! :D

But seriously, Taco is half of Tian-Tian's size. And with him being all dark and looming, it's almost comical.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #5 
BettaSquirt

He's So Cute! ( Thats what happened when i got cosmo! Squirt was pouty and 50 times the size! :)
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

He is amazing!!! So beautiful!!! Good luck!!! I cant wait to see his coloring come out!!! ;D
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM   #7 
Luchi

Nice story!!! Very exciting! You're fish is pretty pretty. Can't wait to follow his journey :]
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #8 
fishyinpa

Awesome story,glad he wasnt too upset with the ride home. Pretty fish.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

Congrats on getting him home like that, lol. He is gorgeous! I love orange. I'm deff getting an orange betta one day. I hate reading peoples stories about new bettas, lol I want my Merlin. haha.
I'm so happy for you.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #10 
TianTian

Thanks, everyone! :) I'm glad Taco is being well-received!

LOOK! He brightened up within a matter of hours!!

(the purple "sparkles" around him are actually bubbles, lol. Makes him look all epic and whatnot, though.)

So Tian-Tian and I have this thing where he would chase my finger around the tank. I tried it with Taco and he took to the game right away! He's a shy but curious fish and highly intelligent. However, Tian-Tian saw what I was doing and he totally had a cow over it. What a jealous fish!! O.o

Taco is still in awe of all of his new space. :D It's not much but I think he's happy with it for now.

Also, "Tacofish" is now Taco's nickname. Tian-Tian has always been "puppyfish".

Tacotacotacotacotacotacotacotacotacotaco.......... .. XD wee! I'm a happy camper at the moment. Dunno if anyone can tell or not.