Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #1 
BettaGal

Post Bowl to Tank?

Hello all! I just discovered this wonderful site today, and I had to join. I currently have one betta, who's probably around three and a half to four years old, and his name is Mr. Betta (creative I know, lol). I've kept him in a bowl his whole life, and I have felt really bad about it for a while, and I want to transfer him to a tank and I've got a few questions, if you don't mind answering them.

1. Should I buy a tank kit or separate pieces?

2. If I buy a tank kit, do you have any reccomendations?

3. What type of filter should I use? I've heard that corner filters are best. Is this true?

4.Will he go into much shock since he's always lived in a bowl?

5. Will I need a heater if the tank is under 5 gallons? I've heard that it can kill fish if the tank is too small.

Thank you very much in advance if anybody can answer any of these questions
BettaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #2 
Luchi

The others here will be much more help than me but I just wanted to say welcome to the Forum and your fish should LOVE more space!!!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I prefer aquarium kits since the cost ends up being cheaper in the end. I like the aquaculture brand aquarium kits. Plus, you can modify the filter to slow down the current.
You can cycle the tank to avoid a "shock" for your little guy. Make sure to at least acclimate him to the water in the tank before releasing him into it.
A heater is important if you cannot maintain the water temp around 78-80 degrees F.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:41 AM   #4 
BettaGal

Thank you very much Luchi and AngelicScars! I just got the ok from my mother, so I'll be searching around for some tanks here hopefully in the next few days. Looks like I might have picked up a new hobby!
BettaGal is offline   Reply With Quote