Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #1 
AlphaBetta1

Algae

I'm managing a tank for my local library and it is covered in algae, fine I can take care of that. The water is brown ish. Is this some sort of floating algae? Will the filter take care of it? Also what is a good algae eating snail that won't breed?
AlphaBetta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #2 
redthebetta

Try a water change.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #3 
AlphaBetta1

I did a water change today, still there. It was a 40 percent change. Maybe it could be me looking through brown algae on the sides that I missed?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Can you post a pic...better to find out the cause before adding more livestock IMO.

What is the stocking, what type of filter and filter media care, water change history-how much and how often, type of additive used. Any live plants, if so how many and what species/type. How long has the tank been setup/running. What kind of lights and photoperiod. If florescent light-how old are the light bulbs, kelvin and watts. Hard scape items-any real driftwood.

Old florescent bulbs can cause algae problems as well as too short a photoperiod.

Right now what I would recommend-water changes, depending on how long the tank has been neglected before you took over and the livestock-If neglected for a while-you can have normal chemistry changes that when changed too fast can kill the livestock. Most common issue will be with nitrate and pH-if you can check these two and compare to the source water can help with how much water can be changed in the beginning so not to shock and kill the livestock.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #5 
AlphaBetta1

Sorry for not responding in a while, I've been busy. The problem cleared itself up when I went to view the tank the next day. It was probaly just algae from the wall of the tank that I scrubbed off.