Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 12:58 PM   #1 
kjnewcome

Power outage...help!

I know winter is still a few months away but I have been thinking about this a lot. I live in WV and needless to say our winters are now fun. What can I do to keep my bettas (and breaded dragon, if you know) alive if the power goes out and the temp drops? Without power, we have no heat and that has me worried. Our power went out this past October/November for 5 days (some people were without power for 16 days). We can't afford a generator so I'm looking for other ideas.

Thanks!
kjnewcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #2 
Seki

I don't know about this method as I have never personally used it. However, I have heard of people cracking those heat packs (the ones you would use in your gloves or socks if you were going to be outside for a long time in the snow) and insulating them with a towel or two, then wrapping that towel around the tank. MAKE SURE IT'S INSULATED!! Also, putting plastic wrap over the top of the tank (with a number of pinpricks for air) will help trap any humidity that's in the tank to keep your fishy friends a little more comfortable.

Other than that, I'm not really sure. :/ Sorry I can't be more help!
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:13 PM   #3 
kalliburr

Hmm. Maybe a cheap, creative alternative could be those heat packs, you know the ones that you buy, pull off the plastic to reveal the sticky side, and stick it to where you're hurting. Get a crap ton of those and it might help, maybe? Probably a dumb idea, but it was the first thing that came to my mind.

Maybe if you keep their tank close to the fireplace? As long as you have a lid to block out the smoke particles.

You could probably also buy a battery power adapter. You know, something that runs on batteries, but you can plug things into it? They make them for cell phones and things. Maybe they have one to run things on a standard plug?
kalliburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:25 PM   #4 
kalliburr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I don't know about this method as I have never personally used it. However, I have heard of people cracking those heat packs (the ones you would use in your gloves or socks if you were going to be outside for a long time in the snow) and insulating them with a towel or two, then wrapping that towel around the tank. MAKE SURE IT'S INSULATED!! Also, putting plastic wrap over the top of the tank (with a number of pinpricks for air) will help trap any humidity that's in the tank to keep your fishy friends a little more comfortable.

Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it might be a decent idea. xD It sounded genius in my head, and then really dumb as I was typing it.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:32 PM   #5 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post

I would have never thought of that, That would really help with my dragon too. I could put those in his tank to give him something to lay on. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:33 PM   #6 
Mashiro

Here, I googled this for you! :)

http://cichlidworld.net/power_failure.htm

"TANK TEMPERATURE - THE AQUARIUM WILL GRADUALLY DECLINE IN TEMPERATURE. THIS IS GENERALLY NOT A PROBLEM. FISH, IN COOLER WATER, EAT LESS, AND EXCRETE LESS, BOTH GOOD THINGS IN A POWER FAILURE. IF THE TEMPERATURE IS FALLING BELOW 60 DEGREES, AND YOU KEEP TROPICAL FISH, YOU MIGHT NEED TO START TO DO WATER CHANGES WITH WARMER WATER TO KEEP THE TEMP UP. BE GLAD YOU HAVE THAT GAS HOT WATER HEATER. DON’T WORRY ABOUT GETTING THE TEMP ALL THE WAY BACK TO 80 DEGREES, JUST KEEP IT ABOVE 55. WHEN THE POWER DOES RETURN, DON’T GO CRAZY AND START POURING HOT WATER INTO THE TANK. JUST LET THE ELECTRIC HEATER DO IT’S JOB AND GRADUALLY LET THE WATER GET BACK UP TO TEMP. FISH EXPOSED TO COLD WATER USUALLY GET THE “ICK” PARASITE. AFTER POWER IS RESTORED, A PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE WITH A HALF DOSE OF "ICK GUARD" IS RECOMMENDED. DO NOT ADD THE ICK GUARD BEFORE THE POWER IS RESTORED, BECAUSE MEDICATIONS LESSEN THE OXYGEN CARRYING CAPACITY OF THE WATER."
Mashiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #7 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliburr View Post
Yay! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it might be a decent idea. xD It sounded genius in my head, and then really dumb as I was typing it.
Not a dumb idea at all, that sounds pretty darn smart to me. lol! I don't have a fireplace so that is out. The only source of heat we have it the power does go out in a kerosene heater and I hate using it unless I HAVE to. We don't have a lot of issues with power outages in my town. I'm really close to the substation so when the power goes out I'm on of the first back on but 5 days of cold (like this past winter) will kill everything in my house that doesn't have fur. :( We had a ton of heavy wet snow and it torn down transmission lines, it was a mess!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #8 
kalliburr

That's really smart! I didn't even think of that. And you know, if you're like me and have really hard water in your area, you can buy distilled water and heat it on the stove, if you're like me and have a gas stove. Just turn the gas on and use a match to light it. Heat up the water to a decent temp and put it in the tank!
Old 08-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #9 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashiro View Post
Here, I googled this for you! :)

http://cichlidworld.net/power_failure.htm

"TANK TEMPERATURE - THE AQUARIUM WILL GRADUALLY DECLINE IN TEMPERATURE. THIS IS GENERALLY NOT A PROBLEM. FISH, IN COOLER WATER, EAT LESS, AND EXCRETE LESS, BOTH GOOD THINGS IN A POWER FAILURE. IF THE TEMPERATURE IS FALLING BELOW 60 DEGREES, AND YOU KEEP TROPICAL FISH, YOU MIGHT NEED TO START TO DO WATER CHANGES WITH WARMER WATER TO KEEP THE TEMP UP. BE GLAD YOU HAVE THAT GAS HOT WATER HEATER. DONíT WORRY ABOUT GETTING THE TEMP ALL THE WAY BACK TO 80 DEGREES, JUST KEEP IT ABOVE 55. WHEN THE POWER DOES RETURN, DONíT GO CRAZY AND START POURING HOT WATER INTO THE TANK. JUST LET THE ELECTRIC HEATER DO ITíS JOB AND GRADUALLY LET THE WATER GET BACK UP TO TEMP. FISH EXPOSED TO COLD WATER USUALLY GET THE ďICKĒ PARASITE. AFTER POWER IS RESTORED, A PRE-EMPTIVE STRIKE WITH A HALF DOSE OF "ICK GUARD" IS RECOMMENDED. DO NOT ADD THE ICK GUARD BEFORE THE POWER IS RESTORED, BECAUSE MEDICATIONS LESSEN THE OXYGEN CARRYING CAPACITY OF THE WATER."
THANK YOU! I don't have a gas water heater but I do have a grill with a gas burner so I can heat water if I need to. This past winter my tanks (only had 2) dropped to 50-55 in the 5 days the power was out. My Daughter has mollies and only one was lost so we were pleased and surprised. Of course my pond fish could have cared less. lol! I will be putting Ick Guard on my next shopping list so I make sure I have it on hand. I didn't realize that bettas would be "ok" at such a low temp.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #10 
kjnewcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalliburr View Post
That's really smart! I didn't even think of that. And you know, if you're like me and have really hard water in your area, you can buy distilled water and heat it on the stove, if you're like me and have a gas stove. Just turn the gas on and use a match to light it. Heat up the water to a decent temp and put it in the tank!
Everything we have is electric but I do have a gas grill with a burner so that would work. :)