Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #1 
BettaGal

Question Cycling a Small Tank?

So I've decided to purchase either a 1.5 or a 2.5 (hopefully the 2.5) gallon tank for my betta who's currently living in a bowl. I've looked up on several different sites on how to do a fishless cycle, but some of them have stated that it's really hard or impossible to cycle a small tank.

If this is so, then what should I do? I'm going to try anyway, but what should I do if I can't seem to cycle it? Will it take less time to cycle since it's so small?

I'm hoping to go to the store this weekend to buy the tank and other supplies, but should I get ammonia to cycle the tank too? I've also got access to an established tank that I can take some gravel from to help. I'm so confused!
BettaGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have heard that a very small tank won't cycle or is too unstable to hold a cycle.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #3 
Twistersmom

Do you have room for a 5 gal? I have seen cheap 5gal kits at Walmart before. A 5 gal with a filter and heater will hold a cycle.
Twistersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:48 PM   #4 
BettaGal

I might have room. It has to be small enough to fit in my bedroom, and my room is VERY small. I'll have to do some rearranging of furniture to maybe get one to fit
Old 06-12-2009, 11:01 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

To do a fishless cycle you would use ammonia but make sure its pure ammonia and not one with additives. An API freshwater master test kit will be helpful for cycling too.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #6 
BettaGal

Thanks for the tips dramaqueen. I better make a list! There's a lot of supplies I need for my poor fishie.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

That would be great if you can get gravel from an already established tank. It will jump start your cycle. There are plenty of people here who can walk you through the process.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:21 AM   #8 
bettatesting

How about putting some live plants in there? I've heard that you don't even need to do a cycle with certain styles of live plant tanks.
bettatesting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #9 
BettaGal

So I am going to get a 5 gal tank! I've been thinking about getting some live plants, but I've never had any before. I'm getting paid soon so I might be able to go to the store by maybe Tuesday to get everything I need. My list just keeps growing and growing! Lol