Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #1 
Lindsaypez

Please help: Anyone use the Hydor 25W heater?

I was wondering if anyone here who is familiar with the Hydor 25W Submersible heater can give me some help (this is the heater: http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-25W-Subm...pr_product_top).

1. When it's on and working, does it feel warm to the touch?
2. How long did it take for it to start heating the tank (a few hours?)?
3. Do you have any tips on how to get it to work?

This is my second heater in a row that is not working. The first one was a cheapo one from Pet Co. that kept the water at 70 degrees. A few people here suggested I try the Hydor 25W heater, and I read the great reviews on amazon, so I decided this would be the right heater. But it doesn't seem to do anything. The light comes on indicating that it's working. It's set at 79 degrees. But the water in my tank is 70. When it's on and I touch it, it doesn't feel warm at all. I'm having the same problem as I had with the cheapo heater. I have it in a 5 gallon tank and it says it works in tanks up to 7 gallons, and a few reviewers even say it's working in their ten gallon tanks.

I am so frustrated! My poor fish is dealing with too many temperature changes! I don't want to buy yet a third heater. I'm wondering if somehow I'm doing something wrong. The heater sat in this tank for days before I plugged it in, so one would think the thermometer inside the heater would be adjusted to the water temperature just fine. Any advice?
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #2 
Mar

I would recommend getting another heater, but try this first.
Take all fish out of the tank.
Set the heater to 89 degrees.
See what happens. If it does raise to a good temperature, Leave it like that for at least 2-3 to make sure it's stable.
(if the temperature is too high, lower it a bit, if it's a bit too low, raise it)
Maybe it's just an issue with the heater's labelling or w/e.
That's what happened to me anyway
Best of luck.
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Could your thermometer be off? Put it in a glass of hotter water and see if it changes. I had one get stuck and thought it was the heater.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:05 AM   #4 
Larthan

I have one and it's been sitting in my tank a while now. The thermometer is reading a steady 80* (though for some reason the mark on the thermometer is marked at 79? Little odd of a number, ohwell!).
I have not, however, attempted to touch it while it is on. I try not to make a habit of sticking my fingers in water with electronics inserted.
Maybe yours got dinged around a bit?

If you put a piece of saran wrap over the top of the tank for a couple of hours, does water start condensing on the exposed glass and saran wrap? Mine didn't start doing that until I got the tank up to around 76-80 (76 when I was using the desk lamp as a heater).
Larthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #5 
Lindsaypez

Well, I've woken up this morning and the tank temperature is 80 which is good. It's 60 degrees in here right now so apparently the heater is working for now. I don't know why it's suddenly working but I'm keeping an eye on it to make sure it doesn't overheat the water now.

It's definitely the heater and not the thermometer that wasn't working. Yesterday the water was much too cold for my betta and he was lethargic. Now he's swimming around as happy as can be. I'm skeptical since this heater has never worked for me before, so I guess time will tell. Thank you all for your replies!
Lindsaypez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 
Twixies

Did you look at the temperature right when you put the heater in and turned it on? Because it does take a while for the heater to start heating up, I'm pretty sure it was just that.

Edit: Wait wait, you said "The heater sat in this tank for days before I plugged it in", shouldn't you have plugged it in and then leave it sitting in the tank? I'm confused.

Last edited by Twixies; 08-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Twixies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #7 
Briz

I've been using these heaters for a few months now. No problems, just plug them in and they keep the water at the set temperature. There are such things as heaters that come out of the box broken, so you may have just been unlucky.. sounds like it is working though and maybe you had some user error? :) At any rate, keep an eye on the temp to make sure it continues to work! I'd be worried that it is faulty and will overheat.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 03:10 AM   #8 
FirstBetta

J have 2 25W Hydor heaters in my 5.5 Betta tank. The tank is 80 - 81 and has been for months. I have two in the tank because I'm belt and suspenders safety nut.

The indicators under the adjustment knob are worthless. I've got mine set to 75 - 76 but the tank is 4 - 5 degrees hotter. Also the specs on the any heater say it will keep the tank at a temp +/- 3-4 deg.

So the thermostat in the heater saw the temp as something higher than the set point you set and didn't feel the need to heat the tank. I would guess you are OK just keep an eye on it until you feel comfortable w/ its operation.

Enjoy!!
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #9 
spyder221

lay it vertically in your tank leave it in there an hour before turning it on then turn it on leave it 20 hours you should see it working warm water and heat rises and the thermo on it is at the top so having it upright near the top of your tank it will read warmer water way to soon and just turn off before heating all of tank
spyder221 is offline   Reply With Quote