Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2013, 01:11 AM   #1 
Lupialex

Tankmates for a 10 gallon tank?

Hi everyone!
I'm new here and I want to add a betta to my home.
I am thinking of doing a planted 10 gallon tank or a 20 gallon. I'm still not sure.
I'm trying to do all my research before I get anything though.

I really like:
African dwarf frogs
Panda Corys
Zebra Danios
Albino Corys
Shrimp
Otos

Which can I put together in a planted 10 gallon? In a 20 gallon?

Thank you for your help!
Lupialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 AM   #2 
Betta Adventures

Just keep in mind that some ADF's will nip at your betta.
Otos need to be in groups but I love how confident they are in their little groups as opposed to one.
there's more info here
Tank Mates
Betta Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:07 AM   #3 
Lupialex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betta Adventures View Post
Just keep in mind that some ADF's will nip at your betta.
Otos need to be in groups but I love how confident they are in their little groups as opposed to one.
there's more info here
Tank Mates
Thank you for that!
I hadn't considered tetras.
Now I'm thinking:
1 Betta
5-6 neon tetras
Shrimp
4 otos
maybe 2 ADF

Would this be doable in a 10 gallon? If not, I may end up going with the 20 gallon tank.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #4 
Micho

Neon tetras, they're a bit active, and a bigger shoal of them would be better + it'd look better, a 20g would be way better if you wanted to do the tetras like neons, cardinals, rummy-nose, etc.

Ember tetras are nice and small for a 10g. I have some in my 10g.

Shrimp, depends on what kind of shrimp. Ghost? RCS? Amano? Most important thing is to give them cover if your Betta attacks them, dwarf shrimps like RCS could be gobbled up easily by a Betta.

Otos, unless your tank is a mature cycled tank with lots of plants I would not recommend these guys. They're very sensitive to water parameters and eat a lot of algae.

All in all your tank is overstocked with that many fish in it.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #5 
Torla

Where did you get your ember tetras? They're a rare find in retail. LFS?
Torla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:37 AM   #6 
Lupialex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
Neon tetras, they're a bit active, and a bigger shoal of them would be better + it'd look better, a 20g would be way better if you wanted to do the tetras like neons, cardinals, rummy-nose, etc.

Ember tetras are nice and small for a 10g. I have some in my 10g.

Shrimp, depends on what kind of shrimp. Ghost? RCS? Amano? Most important thing is to give them cover if your Betta attacks them, dwarf shrimps like RCS could be gobbled up easily by a Betta.

Otos, unless your tank is a mature cycled tank with lots of plants I would not recommend these guys. They're very sensitive to water parameters and eat a lot of algae.

All in all your tank is overstocked with that many fish in it.
I liked the tetras, but think I might scratch them of my list.

For the shrimp, I was thinking ghost shrimp. I have heard of bettas choking on RCS.

For the otos, I was thinking of waiting until the tank was cycled. Actually, my intention was to cycle the tank first, before getting any fish.

What combination of fish would you suggest for a 10 gallon or a 20 gallon tank?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Shrimp are something a lot of people recommend to people with a new tank.

Don't mean to be a Dorothy Downer, but they are not a piece of cake to keep with Bettas. Shrimp of any kind need a mature, stable tank; not just a cycled one. For the best chance of survival the tank should be three months or so after cycling is complete. They need lots of plants for hiding from and avoiding a Betta. They also should have established biofilm to eat or you'll need to supplement.

Ghosties are "feeder" shrimp and their care is not the best. When you pick yours out, make sure they are active.

It is also best to have your Betta for a while so you can try to judge whether he is docile enough to even have tank mates. They're all individuals and some are fine and some are always on a "seek and destroy" mission.

All that being said, I successfully keep them with three Bettas in a divided, heavily planted 20 long tank. They mainly make their appearance when I feed.

Last edited by RussellTheShihTzu; 08-15-2013 at 03:03 AM.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #8 
Lupialex

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Shrimp are something a lot of people recommend to people with a new tank.

Don't mean to be a Dorothy Downer, but they are not a piece of cake to keep with Bettas. Shrimp of any kind need a mature, stable tank; not just a cycled one. For the best chance of survival the tank should be three months or so after cycling is complete. They need lots of plants for hiding from and avoiding a Betta. They also should have established biofilm to eat or you'll need to supplement.

Ghosties are "feeder" shrimp and their care is not the best. When you pick yours out, make sure they are active.

It is also best to have your Betta for a while so you can try to judge whether he is docile enough to even have tank mates. They're all individuals and some are fine and some are always on a "seek and destroy" mission.

All that being said, I successfully keep them with three Bettas in a divided, heavily planted 20 long tank. They mainly make their appearance when I feed.
You're not a Dorothy Downer! I appreciate that tidbit on the shrimps. I thought they just needed a cycled tank.

I'll make sure to use lots of plants for the tank. I'll also add some hiding spots.

With the Betta, I was planning to wait until I was able to make out his personality. I know animals can be vary greatly in their personalities (my guinea pigs prove that everyday ).
Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #9 
Micho

It'd be hard to list all the possibilities for a 10g & 20g, but I'll just list down what you could have in each tank and how many of them for a proper shoal/group.

10g:
Ember Tetras / 6 or more
Pygmy Cories (similar to Otos, stay small, less demanding than Otos) / 6 or more
ADFs / 2 or more

Here's an example of a possible combination:

Betta / 6 Pygmy Cories / 3 Ghost Shrimps

20g (long):
Albino Cories / 6 or more
Zebra Danios / 8 or more

Possible combination:
10 Zebra Danios / Betta / 6 Pygmy Cories / 3 Ghost Shrimps

Granted these might seen as overstocking to some people but I'm adding into consideration that you'll have good filtration + plants to help. :)

Also if you want cories remember your substrate must be sand or coarse gravel, they have cute little barbels they need to protect.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 AM   #10 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Oooh, Micho! I forgot about Pygmy Cories. I love, love, love mine. They are so cute and happy! I'm actually planning on getting more. I like my Panda Guppies but the Cories have a real place in my heart.

And Lupialex, first, welcome to the forum. And, second, thank you. I really want people who try inverts to be successful with them. Actually, if you can find Amano shrimp, two of those instead of Ghosties would be a lot of fun. My Bettas may chase the RCS (Red Cherry Shrimp) but they leave the bigger Amanos completely alone.

And when you get the hang of it, you may find Dwarf Orange Crayfish tempting.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote