Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #1 
Red Betta

Small Community Tank

Here is an idea that i just wanted to ask everyone about before i started to do anything.

I was thinking of getting a 5 gallon tank, putting in one female betta, maybe 6 neon tetras, and two algae eaters. I was wondering what people thought about this, if you have any advice or suggestion feel free to post them.

Also, i know that a filter is not need but i really would prefer one, does anyone know of any good ones that are low flow and good for a betta. Also the tank would be in my room so a filter that does not make very much noise would also be nice.

Thank you for any advice or suggestions.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

I don't know what anyone else would say, but I think 5 gallons is a little small for that many fish. I'm looking at my 5 gallon right now and I could really see the Betta getting stressed even with plants and caves.
I think a 10 gallon would be much better with that selection.
Now about the filter. I honestly prefer the Aqua-Tech. It can be found at Walmart and the 5-15 gallon filter is only 10 bucks. The reason some people don't like it is you have to modify it to slow down the flow (which really takes about 2 mins. and a couple of bucks extra).
It's really quiet too (I have 2 going in my bedroom right now!) The way I slowed the flow down was this: http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.php
and putting these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752987
In the uptake (usually cutting one in half and putting both pieces will work fine, you might have to had half of the other one too).
That's all it takes. It might seem like a lot of work, but really it wasn't at all and I have that for 3 of my tanks and I'll be doing it when I set up my 4th tank!
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #3 
dukie1346

I have a feeling 5 gallons is too small for all those fish!
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Oh, but let me say that if you still want to stick with the 5 gallon, the Betta with about 3 Otos might be alright!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:31 PM   #5 
Red Betta

Okay here is my second thought about a 5 gallon tank, i was thinking one male betta(or possibly female) one or two platy, a pleco/algae eater, and maybe one other fish that will swim around freely(not a bottomfeeder). How do you guys think about this.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

Well I was thinking about getting a couple glofish and maybe a cory cat. I have my 10 gal split into 5 each for my boys, and I was thinking about getting 2 glofish and maybe a cory for each side.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:52 PM   #7 
AngelicScars

I really wouldn't add may more fish to the tank. Pleco is too big for a 5 gallon anyway, you can stick with Otos, they are smaller.
As far as free swimming fish (not bottom feeders), you might have trouble with other fish with a Betta. It really all depends on the temperament. Since it is only 5 gallon, I wouldn't really suggest anything other then some Otos.
The more space you have, the more likely they will leave each other alone.
Good luck!
Old 06-13-2009, 09:58 PM   #8 
IonBaller07

For a 5g I would just get 1 betta and maybe 3 or so ottos or corys or some bottom feeder, But not plecos because they grow to about 20" and need like a 50g tank. As for the one free swimming fish, you were thinking of a neon. Technically it could fit but they need a group of six or more to be happy, just one would get stressed and die.

If I were you I would get a $10 10g from petco, then you could get a tank like mine that has 1 betta, 3 cories, and 3 neons, and still has room. But if you already bought the 5g Id go with the previously suggested.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #9 
Red Betta

its more a problem of not having room for a 10 gallon tank i could afford