Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-05-2014, 02:34 PM   #1 
Reccka

Reccka's Adventures in Fishkeeping

Since I'll be undergoing a 30 gallon tank project next week, I thought now would be the perfect time to start a journal!

I currently have 2 betta boys and plan on getting 2 more when my tank is all set up.

My first boy is a multicolor halfmoon and his name is Mercury. My other boy is a multicolor Veiltail named Shion.

I just got paid the other day, so yesterday I went on a bit of a fish shopping spree.

I bought a new moss ball, an amazon sword, 3 packs of dwarf hairgrass, betta leaf hammocks, omega one pellets, new substrate, and I finally got around to getting the API master test kit. It was pricey, but I know it'll be worth it in the long run. I am spoiling my boys rotten.

There's still so much stuff I need for my new tank. I need a buttload of plants. I haven't really decided fully on a look yet, but it involves a lot of grass-like plants. I love that look.

I have no clue how I'm going to handle Mercury being in a shared tank though. I have him on rooibos tea for his fin biting, but I don't want my new tank to have the darkened look. I might just switch to stress coat after I wean him off the tea. He does seem to like it though. Sometimes I wonder if bettas can taste...and if they can, what is swimming in tea like? It's kind of funny to think about.

That's all for now though! I'll probably post again after I try my new water testing kit out.
Reccka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #2 
DaytonBetta

Welcome! I look forward to hearing about your set up. My son and I have a 29gallon.

As far as plants, you don't have to do it all at once. They will grow and fill in and you can divide or replant cuttings over the next few months. You'll be surprised how much just a few plants can fill in. Just make sure you have the proper lighting. I think the grass type plants usually require higher levels of light. My tank is low light, but I'm happy with the variety of plants that do well with low light, I do love the grass look though.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM   #3 
Reccka

Thanks for the welcome! That's good to hear about the plants! I just want to make sure my boys have a lot of places to hide since they don't have any fake decorations. I'm hoping sunlight will be a good booster for my plants too. The tank won't be in direct sunlight, but very close so it gets tons of sun all day. I just realized I totally forgot fertilizers yesterday lol
Old 09-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #4 
Reccka

So not much to report on today. Shion seems to be getting used to the new amazon sword I put in with him. Mercury is showing some slight fin regrowth, but he still looks pretty torn up. :( My poor baby. I think the tea is really helping though. He was barely showing any growth at all in a month, he's only been in the rooibos tea for a few days and he's already improving.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #5 
Reccka

SO BEGINS THE TANK ADVENTURE:

Day 1: The Scrub-ening

Got the tank yesterday and have managed to empty it out. It has SO much hard water build-up on the lid and the top of the tank. It's so crusty that I can't help but wonder if it was EVER cleaned after purchase. Since the lid won't be in the water, I was able to use some Lime-a-way on it to get some of the build-up off.

The inside of the tank got a rinsing and then was sprayed with alcohol to get it all sanitary. The lid is still an issue. I've been scraping away at it with a putty knife for hours. I think I'll be able to get the rest off by tomorrow.

So to my surprise, the person who gave me the tank(a friend of my mom's) didn't know she had a 3rd fish! So I ended up with a neon tetra, a black skirt tetra with bad fin rot, and a tinfoil barb. I was almost tempted to keep the tinfoil barb, but I haven't had any time to research them. All 3 were given to my local Petco today since I had no space for them and they were in no condition to travel. The way I saw it, there were 3 options:
A. I keep them in temporary jars and they die with me.
B. I attempt to ship them to someone else and they die from the stress.
or
C. I give them to Petco and they MAYBE have a shot and at the very least will be put with their own kind and die with "friends" than alone. Or even better, maybe they get adopted. Who knows.

I really felt like C was their best shot in this bleak situation.

Before I move on to the next part...I would like to take a moment to have a little memorial section. I was also given a pleco that was supposed to be given to another member today, and he didn't make it through all the stress last night. I don't think the memorials are for any other fish besides bettas, so I thought I'd say it here; SIP Hercules. We joked that he was going to be "moving on up" a few days ago and that happened sort of literally. I do hope he's swimming in a deluxe aquarium in the sky. :( Poor guy. I just thought someone should remember him since his former owner was pretty neutral about him.

Anyway...while I was at Petco, I'm sure you guys may guess what happened...
I got a new betta! I'm going to be splitting my tank 4 ways, so this is betta #3!
#4 will be a betta me and my boyfriend pick out together when he comes back from school for winter.

My newest boy is a beautiful dark blue and red with a purple wash Rose Petal. I just totally fell in love with him! He's my most expensive betta so far at a whopping $20, but well worth it. His name is Roscoe!

Pics of the tank and Roscoe will come tomorrow. Natural lighting is so much nicer than my room's yellow tint.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #6 
hrutan

SIP Hercules! He didn't make it, but he'll be remembered.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #7 
Reccka

Day 2:

Oh gosh, I was SOOOO tired out yesterday to even post. I passed out the second I got the chance. I'll admit I'm a little out of shape, so I was pushing myself to my absolute physical limit yesterday by lifting things heavier than usual and moving around buckets of sand and water.

So yesterday was the finishing touches for scraping the last of the hard water build up off and getting the tank actually into my room. Then I added the sand and my plants and the little betta towers I bought. It looks a little bare for now, but I'll add more plants and fun stuff next paycheck. The tank is still sort of settling right now, it's still all cloudy. I had to rig the hose up through my window to fill the tank and that water is HIGHLY oxygenated for some reason compared to the rest of my house's water. It takes forever to settle. I didn't really want to use that water...but it was the easiest way to fill the tank.

I spent a million years doing the DIY dividers too and I was reminded why I don't do DIY. It was kind of a pain. I know my boys are going to love all this extra room though, so I put up with it for them. It's funny that the sections just look so small, but they have about 7 gallons each.

And an update on Roscoe, my new pretty rose tail boy, he is SO adorable.
I put his jar in front of the TV temporarily yesterday and he watched it! He went up, laid on his betta hammock, and watched TV! It was the funniest thing. He was like a tiny person for a moment. Roscoe is so far my most social betta. He already follows my finger, watches me move around the room, and immediately picked up on me pointing him to his food. He's a lot of fun so far.

That's all for today. The next update will be after the tank settles so I can start putting my boys in the tank!
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #8 
Reccka

So I actually glued my dividers together last night...and it made gaps. I took it for a test run with Roscoe and he seems to have no trouble getting through it. Bad fish!

I don't know how I'm going to fill them. I'm thinking if I clip report clips to the ends again, then it should be enough(I couldn't get report clips, so I'm actually using the outer parts of picture frames. They work in a similar way to the clips.)

I'm mostly mad at Staples. I swear it's like they're never open. On Sunday, we were trying to get everything done in the morning before the heat and crowds only to find that they didn't open until NOON! I couldn't believe it. That is the first time I've ever seen a store open so late. We were going to try again yesterday, my mom got home at 6:30, they close at 7 and they're out in the middle of nowhere so it takes 10-15 minutes to get there. I was thoroughly peeved. There's one by where she works, so she can hopefully find them today. Their hours have just been ridiculously inconvenient.

So for now...Roscoe pretty much has free reign of the tank since the dividers don't stop him. Hopefully that'll change by the end of the night. I won't put the other boys in until I'm sure it's safe. Especially Shion. Neither Roscoe or Mercury even flare at other bettas, but Shion gets pretty ticked off when he sees one, so his aggression is my main concern right now.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #9 
Reccka

So I think Roscoe has "picked his room" for now. He went to the end of the tank and him and Mercury have been staring each other down and swimming around. No flaring though, so I guess they don't mind each other? That's good because they will be next to each other when I fix the gaps. I'm glad they have some entertainment. I feel a little bad that Roscoe isn't by the TV anymore since he seemed to like it so much. I mean seriously, he was watching entire episodes of things at a time. I've never seen a fish do that.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:23 AM   #10 
Reccka

Sorry for the lack of updates for anyone reading! It's been a busy few days.

So all 3 boys are in the tank! Roscoe is still obsessively watching and following Mercury, but I'll give it more time for him to get over it. It's only been 2 days. The funniest thing is that Mercury is not even giving Roscoe the time of day! He kind of looks at Roscoe flaring and goes "Yeah, okay. Whatever, dude." and then swims off. So Mercury really does not flare at ANYTHING. I'll never truly if he's a HM or SD. Mercury could really care less that Roscoe exists so far. Is this rare for male bettas?

But finally, it's time for PICTURES!

Here's my pretty new rose tail Roscoe;

This was from the day I brought him home from Petco. Based on his condition, I'd guess he was part of a new shipment. I tested his cup water's ammonia and it was at 4ppm. Poor guy. Luckily it didn't seem to take too bad of a toll on him. He's been nice and active since I got him last Saturday.

Here's him today in the 30 gallon(was so hard to get a photo)

(The plastic wrap is to keep him from getting to Mercury. One of my dividers ended up short for reasons that I just can't figure out. I'm adding another piece for height tomorrow.)

Here's the whole tank itself!

A little bare for now, but I'll be adding more next time I get paid. Mercury ended up being the only one who likes those lookout towers. I tried giving one to Roscoe, but he prefers the terra cotta pot. Shion has a nice piece of driftwood for his hideout. He likes to poke his head out of it.

My plants sadly aren't doing too well though. I don't know what went wrong. All but my anubias is yellowed. I hear to give it some time before giving up on them completely though. I'll admit I'll be a little mad if they all die. This had to be at least $50 worth of plants. I don't want that to be all for nothing. I don't exactly make a lot of money.

At least Shion is back to his normal self. He made a bubble nest today.

Such a cute grumpy face!

Mercury tail sadly isn't seeing any fast improvement, but I do think the rooibos tea is helping.

At least he has clear fins at every part of his bites, so I'm going to assume that means regrowth. I just have to give it more time. I hope he'll bounce back and stop biting now that he's in a bigger space.

Anyway, that's all for now!