Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 
myexplodingcat

Splody's Journal: Of fish, of life, of puffed-up cats

So, the paludarium project is done. I've found I like keeping a journal on here, but the title no longer fits and the original topic is now kind of off-topic. (If that makes sense? It doesn't, but whatever.) So I'm switching to a general blog.

Paludarium adventure is here if you missed it:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=412786

A quick catch-up:
The paludarium is finished and gorgeous and Felix, my MG(ish) HM, is loving it (although still won't stop fin biting...) Felix shares the 2ish gallons of swimming space and 4ish gallons of water with his nerite snail, Adagio. (Who's slacking off on cleaning up the algae on the window side of the tank. Grumble.)

Paludarium plants include:
Semiaquatic: Spearmint cuttings, peacock ferns, lucky bamboo cutting.
Aquatic: Plenty of water wisteria, and some java fern babies and a little java moss.

Felix's old 1.5g tank is now an NPT. It's been two weeks since I set it up, and two days since I brought home a lovely little rescue fish. He's coloring up really well and likes sleeping in the generous roots of the lucky bamboo I've managed to wedge in through one of the feeding holes (yes, the top is in the air) and in the java moss. He also actually uses the little terracotta pot to hide in, which Felix never did. There's only maybe 1g of water in this tank, but it should be cycling (as much as such a little tank can do) and it has plants.

This tank's plants include:
Semiaquatic: the big lucky bamboo. But no more s/a plants because this one isn't designed that way.
Aquatic: Some of the larger baby java ferns (there are a lot of them) and the mother plant, and the lion's share of the java moss. It'll get more plants eventually.

There was a gorgeous solid deep indigo VT I passed up for him, and part of my brain is still grumbling about that, but New Boy is growing on me. Besides, he wouldn't have gotten a home being all gray and stress-striped like he was, and I wouldn't have wanted him to stagnate in PetSmart forever.

Potential names for New Boy:
Orion (I almost named Felix this)
Octothorpe (that's a name for the # symbol)
Bromeliad (a plant which can have bright red or otherwise colorful leaves at the top)
Simon (because I like the name Simon)

I think I am leaning towards Simon. XD

Also, can I get a shout-out to the nerve-wracking process of putting these (1) up with these (2)?
Attached Images

myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #2 
myexplodingcat

This is freaking adorable, here. New Boy is *so* shy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtvjcoWjDxY
Old 07-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #3 
DaytonBetta

I like the name Simon for the new boy.
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #4 
Sabina88

I agree with Simon for your new VT. Plus I think it sounds nice with Felix
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #5 
myexplodingcat

Yeah, I like Simon the best too. It's the only one that really seems to stick with him.

I'm still wondering if that cobalt blue VT I really liked is still at PetSmart. I will have to negotiate my way into going back there... I just got more grad money, and I don't think my mom can protest too well against more fish since I'm paying for and maintaining them. :P Besides, all I need is the fish and a Kritter Keeper, and maybe some more plants. (Though if I leave room for air at the top, my mint cuttings are doing a very good job of keeping Felix's water clean.) I have the substrate and an extra heater and I can make cover and stuff for him super easily.

If my mom thinks she can deter me from buying more fish with the "you have no room for this" excuse, she doesn't know me very well... I can shuffle stuff around like nobody's business. Well, I guess PetSmart's business, but that's all. Nobody else's business.

Good thing I've decided that when I go to college, I'm living in a studio apartment instead of the dorms... that way, I don't have to worry about space for my fishies, or drunken roommates doing weird stuff to my tanks. (Among other things, obviously.) I did the math earlier today and the studio apartment's actually cheaper in most places than most dorms.

Think I can get my mom to take me to PetSmart? :P
Old 07-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #6 
Sabina88

I think you should, plus you can always use the excuse of "I need to get something for my fish/tanks" :p
Plus I bet that VT would be happy to move to large warm clean home instead of a tiny cold cup.
Sabina88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #7 
myexplodingcat

I went back "for water conditioner," telling myself that I'd only buy a fish if it was the boy I'd had my eye on. If I found my boy, he and a Kritter Keeper were coming home with me, stat.

So I directed my dad off to get cat treats so he couldn't pull me away from the fish (I knew he wouldn't find them immediately, he's not a PetSmart regular), and hurried back to look for the fish I haven't been able to get off my mind.

They had about six cobalt blue VTs.

I didn't recognize my boy, and I definitely couldn't choose between them. I left without a fish but with a small bottle of Prime (because I actually did need water conditioner) and a package of bacopa.

I think I wouldn't easily get away with another fish anyway, although if that one boy had still been there and I recognized him, I would have fought for him. But I'm still working on nursing Simon back to full color and health, and I can't quite justify dumping another fish into an uncycled tank even if it's better than an equally uncycled cup. I'll wait a few months before I get another fish, and spare my mother's sanity. :P

Well, put it this way... in a few months, my tanks will have overgrown rather nicely, and I can use the excuse of "I've got to have somewhere to put these plants, my fish can hardly swim in this mess..." to get another. Especially with the extra plant I bought. Buying plants looks so innocent. :P
Old 07-06-2014, 03:17 PM   #8 
myexplodingcat

Wowwwwww!

Wowwwwwwwww!

The bacopa looked like a small amount in the package in the store, but when I separated out the individual plants--it's actually a big package! Worth the $9. I had to move rocks out of Felix's tank in order to fit in his share, and there was plenty for Simon too!

Felix's tank gets direct sunlight and a CFL aimed at the tank, and Simon's tank gets indirect sunlight, so the stuff should grow pretty well in both.

I know it's supposed to be a "background plant," but I want my fishies to be able to hide amongst it. So the bacopa, like the other plants in my tanks, is spread around kind of randomly. It's not like there are designer fairies out in the wild, organizing the rice paddies' plants into different height categories, anyway.

It does, however, make checking on my fish kind of resemble a game of Where's Waldo. I think that's a good thing though.

Even in Simon's 1.5g, which probably only has 1g of swimming space, I can have a hard time finding him. Which makes me feel not so bad about the fact that there's so little space. I mean, the top is clear--the tallest plant is the mother java fern and its tallest leaves still leave an inch or two. But the bottom has tons of places to explore and hide. I know it's not ideal, but it's MUCH better than the betta vase Simon would probably have otherwise ended up in.

Felix has a pretty sweet pad now, I have to say. Shallow and wide/long, tons of plants, great temperature, a snail to keep him company, and great food and bloodworms on the regular. He's spoiled. And yet he still bites his fins. DX

I'll have to post pics of these guys and their homes soon. They look pretty awesome and Simon is super red.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #9 
myexplodingcat

Augggghhh... GED testing tomorrow. Why does my school district hate partial homeschoolers so much? I don't know. But it does, and this is the easiest way out.

Simon is being freaking adorable and his faint traces of stress stripes are disappearing by the day. I love how he actually explores his tank regularly... Felix mostly stayed at the front all the time in that tank, wanting food or attention.

Felix is tail nibbling again, but not too badly. I've come to terms with the fact that it's just something he's gonna do, and as long as he doesn't tear out HUGE chunks of fin and doesn't get fin rot, I'm not going to worry about him.

Jake wants me to tell you he says meow. Loudly.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:42 PM   #10 
myexplodingcat

Cleaned out my two bookshelves today. I weeded out old books, adjusted the height of several shelves, organized everything, and now I have...

One shelf's worth of space.

You could say I have a lot of books.

At least there are no more books stacked horizontally on top of other books, supporting another book leaning diagonally onto that stack of books from another stack of books.

I promised a picture update in the near future a few days ago, and here it is!

Remember this guy?

Now he looks like this.

This is where he lives.

Here's Felix's tank when I was trying to find a spot for the bacopa. I ended up moving about six of his black rocks out in order to have more ground space.