Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-21-2014, 11:54 PM   #1 
nclnchls

Baby Betta Journal!

On March 10, 2014 I walked into my nearest Petco for dog food. But I had to browse first, of course...and that's when I saw the baby bettas. I fell in love but told myself I didn't need one, and walked out with dog food only. (This was mostly because I knew my parents would make fun of me for buying two bettas.) But I returned on March 15 with my two little brothers in tow, gave in, and walked out with two babies under the pretense that they were for my brothers. (Really though, they are mine. Haha.)

Anyway, it's been nearly a week since I got them, and I have spent hours perusing this forum and carefully monitoring my babies. I can't wait to see them grow up, and so I've decided to have a baby betta journal :) This will feature lots of photos of course because I'm a bit of a shutterbug!

My brothers did pick the babies out, otherwise I would have never been able to choose one...most were small with baby stripes, and one was a bit bigger with a dark reddish color. So we got the reddish one and a striped one. We haven't chosen names yet, trying out different names and will decide once we know for sure the gender. One of my brothers said he was going to name his either Machete or Aphrodite, LOL. We'll see. I'll probably refer to them as Red & Stripes until we decide!

I currently have them in ~1 gal each but am going to buy a 10 gal on my next payday. I'm going to make a divider as well. Right now they are being fed Omega One 2x a day with bloodworms every now and then. They get a 50% water change every day.

On to some pictures!

03.17.2014 (two days after getting them)

Red

Stripes

The red one is very active, chasing its reflection in the glass, and even chasing my thermometer when I'm checking the temp! The smaller one is not as active, but he is doing well I think, just a more relaxed fish. His spine bends a little funny but it doesn't seem to be affecting him or his swimming.

I added a few fake plants to their tanks, they seem to really enjoy it. The little one sleeps on one of the blue leaves at night :) Haven't seen a huge difference since I've had them, at least not yet. Hopefully they'll be growing bigger pretty soon.

Any observations on the sexes/types of bettas these guys are would be excellent :) so far I've been told they are both boys, and that the red one might be a HM. The little one is probably too soon to tell, though!
nclnchls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #2 
BettaLover1313

Very cute babies! It'll be fun seeing how much they grow and develop.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:12 PM   #3 
nclnchls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
Very cute babies! It'll be fun seeing how much they grow and develop.
Thank you! And it definitely will, I am so excited about them! :) I'm going a little picture crazy but it will be so neat to see their progress.

Last night I noticed my babies were looking so good! The bigger one's fins are a more vibrant red now and I can tell he's gotten bigger. The little one's fins are spreading more (his caudal fin is spread out, unlike how it just droops in the above photos) and he's much more active, investigating when I'm changing his water and swimming all around.

I've ordered a lot of the supplies I'll need for their 10 gallon, so I'm just waiting for that all to get in on Thursday, and then I'll be going out to buy the actual tank on Friday. I can't wait to get it up, planted, and cycled for them! My family thinks I'm crazy for caring so much about these fish but I can't help it. I've always wanted an aquarium, anyway.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:17 AM   #4 
nclnchls

03.25.2014 (Day 10)

The red one is starting to develop some rays (I think?) and the blue on his body only showed up with my flash. He was trying to eat a pellet that was too big in this pic, hence the weird mouth! haha

Little one is looking better already, I think. Still no color development but he is healthier.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:17 AM   #5 
Huffle Puffles

How adorable they are! I love the little one's fin spots but am curious to see how he/she does color up. I'm excited to watch you document their growth. :)
Huffle Puffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #6 
nclnchls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffle Puffles View Post
How adorable they are! I love the little one's fin spots but am curious to see how he/she does color up. I'm excited to watch you document their growth. :)
Haha yes! They're cute spots, but I wonder how he/she will turn out :)

Today I spent my whole paycheck (LOL) on a 10gal tank plus all the necessities of course...spent 3.5 hours setting it up! I planted a few plants and stuck a moss ball in there, put in the heater and a sponge filter, and drained the tank because of all the dirt floating around. Refilled it and there's still some particles. I think I need more sand, but for now it's alright. Now I just have to wait for it to cycle, and then my babies will have their new home!

I also bought some frozen brine shrimp and fed it to them, they really seemed to like it! Much better than the freeze dried bloodworms I gave them as treats before.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:10 AM   #7 
nclnchls

So I finally got some more sand for my tank, put it in, and it kicked up some more dirt but it looks much better! The dirt has finally cleared.

It looks pretty sparse right now. I have two bunches of wisteria, one java fern, one marimo moss ball, and two kinds of anubias. I hope to add some water sprite to float at the top. Also I have some driftwood I bought at petco to add in, plus a small branch from a bigger piece I found at the beach several years ago. They are boiling now to release all the tannins!

Also, I finally got a good pic of my red baby's "eggspot" or "false eggspot"...can't tell!

Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #8 
nclnchls

Today I noticed some blue on my little one's fins! It's not nearly as flashy as it appears in this photo, but still visible :)

We also had an accident while I was changing the water!! He got sucked up into my turkey baster!! I was so worried, but he came out, and besides a bit of red on his underside, he appears fine. I took one of the live plants out of the cycling tank and put it in his tank instead, so he would have something soft to lay on if he needed it. Poor baby.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:38 PM   #9 
nclnchls

A few days ago I was trying to measure the smallest one by holding a ruler up to the tank while he was swimming past...I held it up, but before I could measure him he swam behind it to where I couldn't see him...then two seconds later appeared in the hole of the ruler, staring at me! Made me laugh, haha.

Anyway it's been about a week since I've updated!

They are both doing well. Eating crushed Omega One pellets in the morning and frozen brine shrimp around dinner time. They will eat until their bellies get huge!! I have to be careful and give them just enough, which is kind of hard, especially with the brine shrimp.

The smaller one still has a blue sheen on his fins, and I think I see some secondary rays. Also, he's developed some red on his ventrals!
The bigger one is getting so big and bright. He's got some black rims around his fins now, which I rather like.

I bought even more plants for my 10 gal, and two nerite snails. Also saw some baby snails in there. I'm hoping the cycle will finish soon, I'm getting anxious to put my babies in already!!