Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-06-2015, 10:23 PM   #1 
MameJenny

10 gallon NPT sorority journal

Hi, everyone! It's been a while since I posted here, and I'm very bad at updating my journals, but I thought I'd post a bit about my new project, a 10 gallon sorority. I've been interested in sororities since I got my first betta, and I decided that I finally have enough experience to set up a sorority.

So, here's the tank equipment:
-Standard 10 gallon tank
-20 watt daylight CFL in a clip-on desk lamp ($6!)
-AquaTech 5-15 filter
-25 watt Tetra heater
-Potting soil/play sand cap substrate
-Lace rock, driftwood decor

Plants:
-Lagarosiphon madagascariensis
-Hygrophilia difformis
-Persicaria kawagoeanum
-Ludwigia aracuta x L. Repens
-Najas guadalupensis
-To be added: green rotala, red ludwigia, dwarf hairgrass, Christmas moss

Fish/inverts:
-5-6 female bettas
-2-3 male mutt platies (raised in my 20g community)
-1 nerite snail

I'll post pictures of the bettas in my next post. :) I own two girl-bettas that I bought online, and I just brought home 3 Petco females tonight. The new ones are currently being quarantined. I'm hoping that the 2-3 week quarantine will be enough time for the plants to grow a bit for the girls.
MameJenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:09 PM   #2 
MameJenny

Just a small update: I decided to stick the new females in QT together. I figured it would help me to get to know their personalities, and determine if any of them were extremely aggressive or anything. So far, they're doing well. I've only caught them chasing each other once - mostly, they just flare at each other a bit or ignore each other altogether. The yellow/blue marble girl - the largest of the three - seems to also be the toughest and most dominant girl of the three. The Cambodian girl, the smallest, is very skittish, and the white marble girl likes to hide in plants and ignore the yellow/blue girl. Hopefully, they'll get along well enough in the QT tank that I don't need to QT them in jars.

Also, I caught the yellow/blue girl and the white marble girl trying to wrap last night. I'm 95% sure they're both females. Is this normal for females?

Last edited by MameJenny; 01-07-2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:38 PM   #3 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Three females is a bit few for safety, I wouldn't have only three together regardless of tank size honestly.
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 PM   #4 
MameJenny

It's a temporary setup with the three - I'll be putting them in with my two other females once they're out of quarantine. I was going to get four from Petco, but these three were the only ones who didn't look sickly.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #5 
myexplodingcat

Ooh, I want to see this. Subbed.
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 11:17 PM   #6 
MameJenny

Oh hey, Rebekah! Thanks for the sub! How are all your fishes doing? Haven't seen you around for a few months. (Then again, I haven't posted much in a few months. lol)
Old 01-08-2015, 10:46 PM   #7 
myexplodingcat

Simon is doing great and still being a little fishy brat, Felix and the platies are now under the Rainbow Bridge, and I have a new guy (who you've seen on my journal) and a little school of tetras and a guppy in the 10g. A lot has changed! Also, my 10g looks quite different.

I actually thought a bit about a sorority, too, but I already had the tetras and guppy in the 10, and I'm still not sure I want to deal with aggression and fish girl drama. :P But I'll gladly watch you try it! Haha.

I haven't posted much in the past few months either. College, you know?

I notice you've found yourself some more white opaques--a boy and a girl! Good for you :D Any breeding plans in your future?
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #8 
MameJenny

Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your fish. Felix was your first one, right? I haven't lost any in some time, besides a few new tetras, but I'm probably going to need to euthanize one soon, since he has a huge tumor. It sucks when they die.

Haha...well, fingers crossed it works out! Seems OK so far...the three girls seem to have reached an unsteady understanding in QT. All three actually swam up like hungry platies to look at me today. Hopefully, the addition of the other girls won't mess it up too much.

Similar reason for my absence, haha. Got through my first college semester with A's, so I'm feeling nice about that. Today's my last day of winter break.

Yep, I bought them online to breed back in November. I did breed them, but the babies had a bad velvet outbreak when they were 2 weeks old, and I lost almost all of them. The remaining ones are extremely stunted (about 1/6 the size they should be at this age) and have no fins, and I'm not sure what to do with them. I think it's from the combination of the severe velvet at such a young age and the "last-ditch" medicine combos I ended up using. I might just put them in Lucky's tank once she's in the sorority. I'll probably end up breeding the white pair again eventually, but probably not for another month or two, since I'm obviously fairly discouraged.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:58 PM   #9 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

No fins as in no fins at all? And they can still swim?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:01 AM   #10 
MameJenny

Well, they have very small tail fins, but that's about it. They may have pectoral fins, but it's hard to tell, considering their size and color. They can swim, but they don't swim like adult bettas (yet?).