***typo in that title, sorry! keeping = keeper... woohoo.
Hey all :) I figured I'd start journaling this little adventure with Adam, because:
1) It's adorable and
2) It might help someone else set up their tank someday.
There will be "highlighting" in bold because it will help me skim-read later
Apologies if it is annoying at all!
After talking to Adam for a couple of weeks to make sure he was serious about taking care of his a Betta fish, I agreed to help him set up a basic tank with my spare parts.
We set up the Kritter Keeper and walked through basic Betta care. Mele moved in because he likes her attitude. Adam made a quick 180 about not understanding how anyone can have an emotional attachment to fish and was very concerned with keeping Mele happy and entertained.
Adam decides Mele is bored and wants a larger community tank like I have. We got to Petco for the $1/Gallon sale, and walk out with a 10 gallonn Aqueon and a male marbled doubletail "Finley," also called "Dork-Fish."
We stop by Petsmart for a siphon and sand and I buy myself a female yellow dragon dt.
Finley goes into quarantine while we set up the tank and Mele comes back home with me.
We set up the 10g tank for the first time:
- 10 gallon Aqueon stock tank
- PFE-1 from Aquatop with generic media sponge
- 16" Finnex Stingray
- 10 lb black inert sand (Nat Geo), washed
- Adhesive black vinyl background from Joann Fabric
- 5 Bacopa cuttings
- 1 small crypt wendtii, bronze
- 1 small amazon sword
- 1 length (5 leaves) small java fern
- 1 large Petsmart anubias nana
- 5 root tabs (API, I think)
- 2 Ferrochel iron caps
Water is conditioned with Prime
and dosed with Excel
. I dropped in 5 food pellets since Adam decided he wanted to fish-out cycle.
The next day, we had bacteria bloom
We decided to give the Stability one more day to work before attempting something else.
On day 3 of the cloudy water and bacteria bloom, Adam decided enough was enough (the water was terrifying him). The plants were doing well, at least!
He completed a water change and cleaned out the food particles from the filter, rinsing the filter media in tank water. We discuss and agree a new approach is necessary since the Stability seems to be a waste (it does not appear to work for everyone! It did work for me when I was cycling). Only ammonia has appeared
so far, with 0 nitrite/nitrates.
Seeding with cycled media
: we cut some filter media from my cycled tank and placed it into the filter. Additional bacopa
stems are planted from the local aquatics store, and we go fish-in
with my handy-dandy, eat-and-poop everything platy named Piggy.
She was being picked on in the community tank at my house (new male Betta isn't as kind as the previous residents) so this seemed a fairly safe place for her. And this little black hole of a fish was in heaven...
Adam dropped the 16" LED in the water
fortunately it was powered off and nothing bad happened. The light still works, but the legs are just a little too short for this tank. Maybe I can convince him to get and acrylic lid after this...
Seeding with cycled media seems to be doing the trick! While the ammonia level is still about 1.5 ppm, we have 0 nitrites and newly-appeared nitrates
! Making progress!
Piggy is doing her job very well, practically licking every surface and eating non-stop... Adam did do a water change after seeing all the poop this morning
The plants are all settling in well and look a lot better now that they are facing the light! Some of them had to be re-planted after today's water change when they became uprooted.
Finley, in the meantime, is enjoying his quarantine tank. He argues about the food selection (flares at his pellets before eating them) and has started building his third massive bubble nest. He is a busy, active, healthy boy!
We will probably go back to the aquatics store and pick up more plants, for my tank at least
Also placing an order for Osmocote root tabs from a facebook seller. $6.50 for 50 tabs is not a bad deal, that should cover at least 8 months of root tabs between our two tanks, and the contents will be better than the API root tabs.