Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2014, 05:06 PM   #1 
Nimble

The Bar (Nimble's Betta Journal)

Hello fellow fishkeepers. Welcome to The Bar, where I'll be giving you an insight into my own adventures in the Betta keeping hobby.

To start off my inaugural journal, I suppose I'll give you my current tank setup as a start.

Hardware(Bartop)
-Tetra 10 Gallon Aquarium
-Tetra Whisper PF10 Filter
-Hydor 50W adjustable Aquarium Heater (Set to 80)
-Fusion Smart Temp Aquarium Thermometer
-Generic Suction Cup Thermometer
-Marineland 20" Recessed Full Hood, w/ Flourescent Lighting

Software(Glassware)
-Seachem Prime
-Seachem Flourish
-Seachem Neutral Regulator (Use is monitored carefully)

Hardscape(Ice/Garnish)
-Seachem Flourite Aquarium Substrate
-Stoney River Aquarium Sand, Black and White
-Malaysian Driftwood, 11"
-Small Ceramic Rock Cave, with Large Entrance Hole

Flora(Mixers)
-7 Small Sprigs of Cryptocoryne wendtii
-1 Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus, attached to driftwood)
-1 Bunch Mondo Grass ([i]Ophiopogon japonicus[i],sold to me as an aquarium plant, not actually aquarium plant. Will be removed if/when degradation begins to occur)

Fauna(Hard Drinks)
-1 Ivory Mystery Snail (Pomacea diffusa), female(?), Bailey('s Irish Cream)
-1 Tiger Nerite Snail (eritina natalensis), sex unknown, Tuaca (Italian Orange-Vanilla Liquer)
-1 Black/Red Butterfly Halfmoon Plakat Betta (Betta splendens), male, Angostura (Aromatic Bitters)

Pictures will be soon to follow, once Angostura has had a chance to settle in. He just arrived today, and needs a couple days of relaxation before photographs. As most of you have guessed, I'm doing a Bar theme for the names of my critters.

So far, Angostura is very lively, despite his long day in shipping. He's eaten a few pellets, and is currently floating in the tank, with more water being added to his floating container to slowly acclimate him to the new digs. I sincerely hope he enjoys his new home, as I sincerely hope you enjoy your stay, here in The Bar.

Last edited by Nimble; 12-29-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #2 
BettaLover1313

This already sounds interesting. I look forward to reading additional entries.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:38 PM   #3 
Nimble

Angostura is now in the tank properly, swimming about and exploring his new home. So far, he seems very interested in his reflection in the glass on the sides of the tank. I might have to do something about this.

The filter outflow might be just a little bit strong for him, but so far I don't see any issues unless he is directly underneath it. I'll need to build a baffle eventually, but he seems smart enough to go around the spots with a heavy current.

He initially took an interest in Bailey, my Ivory Mystery Snail. He's nipped at her once, and flared at her a couple of times, but it seems he's gotten bored of her in the last hour or so. Bailey seems fairly nonplussed about the whole thing, hardly even noticing her new room-mate during her laps around the tank.

Tuaca, as he is wont to do, has been lazing about in his corner of the tank for the better part of the day. He's such a lazy snail, though I've heard that Nerites have fairly low levels of activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover1313 View Post
This already sounds interesting. I look forward to reading additional entries.
Thanks! I'm glad you're intrigued. I'll do my best to make this an interesting read.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #4 
DaytonBetta

Haha! I like the bar theme! I'll have a Captain and Coke with Lime... Have you ever seen the martinis with swedish (red) fish in them?

I'm glad you've started a journal and look forward to hearing about the bar room adventures. Hopefully no brawls!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:08 PM   #5 
hrutan

Although brawls can be interesting...from a safe distance. ;) Following.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 07:13 PM   #6 
Nimble

I don't expect too many brawls, but a little bit of tipsy romance could potentially be seen in the future. :3

Angostura seems to have developed a fondness for the clump of mondo grass, of all things. I might move the driftwood and some more plants to that side of the tank, just in case I have to remove that one.

He seems to have lost interest in Bailey, other than occasionally giving her a glance now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonBetta View Post
Haha! I like the bar theme! I'll have a Captain and Coke with Lime... Have you ever seen the martinis with swedish (red) fish in them?

I'm glad you've started a journal and look forward to hearing about the bar room adventures. Hopefully no brawls!
Morgan was actually one of the names I was debating on giving him. I wanted to give him a Dark Rum name at first, so I was thinking of (Sailor) Jerry, (Captain) Morgan (Black Rum), or Bacardi/Oakheart... but I decided to go on the bits of red he has, and decided that it was close to the Angostura Bitters I dash into my ginger ales.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:21 AM   #7 
Nimble

It seems I've already had to break up a Bar fight this morning, my dear patrons. This morning, I noticed my devilish lad Angostura nipping at Bailey once again. I had told myself last night when I first saw the nipping, that if it were to continue, one of them was getting moved.

Bailey's colors will pop out better on the black, sandy floor of the 5.5g, and the new resident should be a bit more docile than her neighbor.

I'm fairly certain Angostura hasn't even noticed that Tuaca is alive, due to how little activity the Nerite Snail exhibits.

This, of course, leaves a bit of room in the 10g, and makes me want to get Angostura some Bar-mates to keep him company and to keep the walls clean, since Tuaca is kind of a slacker, in my opinion. I was thinking of getting a few Otos, but I'm open to suggestions. I always like learning a new drink recipe.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:04 AM   #8 
hrutan

Have you considered a few Pygmy Cories? A few half-pints could round out your menu...
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:14 AM   #9 
Nimble

I would love some Pygmy Cories, but my LFS doesn't stock them, sadly. At least not the one that's within bicycling distance, as we're still without a car at the house. But no, I would adore some Pygmy Cories to put in the tank.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #10 
Nimble

Ladies and Gentlemen, dear patrons of The Bar, we have a new arrival!

So, because our regular postman had the day off today, we had a different postal worker deliver our mail. Unfortunately, this different postal worker must not have understood how to operate a doorbell, because when I went out to go to the LFS to pick up some frozen bloodworms and various other things, I saw a peach-colored slip of paper in the mailbox.

"Sorry we missed you!", it said. Missed me? But I was home all morning, good piece of paper.

So, I had to change my plans and direction, head down to the post office(which thankfully is only a few blocks from my house) and wait for the better part of an hour to rectify the issue and get my package.

Again, I reiterate: I would have answered the door, if it had been rung. I heard no doorbell. There were three of us at home this morning, two of us awake, and the third a light sleeper. We would have heard the doorbell.

Anyway, that's not important. What is important is that we have a new resident in a new tank! The lovely lady Smirnoff has arrived. Here are her tank specs.

Hardware
-Tetra 5.5 Gallon Aquarium
-Tetra Whisper 10i Filter
-Hydor 50W adjustable Aquarium Heater (Set to 80)
-Fusion Smart Temp Aquarium Thermometer

Software
-Seachem Prime
-Seachem Flourish
-Seachem Neutral Regulator (Use is monitored carefully)

Hardscape
-Seachem Flourite Aquarium Substrate
-Stoney River Aquarium Sand, Black
-Large Ceramic 'Mud Hut', with Large Entrance Hole

Fauna(Hard Drinks)
-1 Ivory Mystery Snail (Pomacea diffusa), female(?), Bailey('s Irish Cream)
-1 Cambodian CT(Combtail, possibly?) Betta (Betta splendens), female, Smirnoff (Recipe No.21, Vodka)

No plants yet in the Lady Smirnoff's home, but I'm thinking I might transfer a couple springs of the Wendt Crypt over.

She's currently relaxing and acclimating. I should be able to post pictures tomorrow or Thursday, when everyone is settled and happy. Hopefully she treats Bailey a little better than her future mate does. Thankfully, vodka pairs nicely with everything. I should have known better than to mix Bailey's and Bitters. Blech~