Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #1 
Rimbaum

First community tank - 29 gallon

I just set up a used 29 gallon tank last night and let the sand settle, and acclimated my betta, Ahti, to the tank this morning. He's currently swimming around the entire tank and investigating.

This is my first community tank, and as soon as I get some live plants in, it'll be my first planted tank, too. (other than the marimo I had in Ahti's old tank, which I later removed when they weren't getting enough light)

I'm planning to put 4 otos, 4 peppered corys, and about 6 harlequin rasboras in along with Ahti. I've just shifted his decorations and his old filter cartridge in to help kickstart the cycle, and I had some start zyme that helped tremendously in getting his old tank cycled. Well, cycled as much as a 1.5 gallon can be :P

Ahti's in there right now, and I'm thinking of getting about half of the harlequins while we're out shopping today to get a bit more life in the tank without stressing out the BB too much.

There's plastic plants in there right now, but I'm hoping to eventually replace most or all of them with live plants. I tested them, and they're all rubbery, not hard plastic, so I figured they're safe for the time being.

I also want to get rid of the small plastic pile of rocks decoration that was in his old tank, which I only put in there right now because it's got a lot of algae and diatom growth on it and I want that to spread for the otos before I add them in. To replace it, I'd love to get some mopani to really add some pop, because I saw it in person at the local Pet Supplies Plus in their tanks and just wow, it looks stunning. Way better than in pictures.

I don't have a test kit, and my parents are totally unwilling to buy me one, so I'm going to have to just be fairly conservative and cautious with adding fish. I'm hoping that having old filter media will make it easier to get going and not lose too many (if any) fish.

I'll update later today with pictures!
Rimbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #2 
Islandgaliam

Congrats on your new tank :)

just a word or caution; I would double check on the rasboras with the betta. I am not sure they can be in the same tank, but I could be wrong too.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:55 PM   #3 
tankman12

I would increase the harlequins and the cories. Harlequins and bettas usually get along fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:15 PM   #4 
Rimbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
I would increase the harlequins and the cories. Harlequins and bettas usually get along fine.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'd love to add more corys and harlequins, but I have a Tetra Whisper 30 filter, and until I can get enough plants in, I don't want to stress the filter by adding more of either. Ideally, I'd like 6 peppered corys and maybe 8 harlequin rasboras.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #5 
tankman12

In a 29, you could easily do 12-15 harlequins and 8-10 cories.

You have it with live plants, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
tankman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #6 
Rimbaum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman12 View Post
In a 29, you could easily do 12-15 harlequins and 8-10 cories.

You have it with live plants, right?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have any live plants at all just yet. I want to get plenty, but it's going to take some time. My parents are extremely reluctant to keep purchasing things to put in the tank that aren't fish, since the used tank came with a tiny handful of decorations and they think that large open areas are more ideal for all fish because it gives them swimming room.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #7 
Rimbaum

Sadly, Meijer isn't carrying the harlequin rasboras anymore. I went to get the peppered corys, and my parents saw the $6 price tag and said not today :/ but they still wanted me to take fish home, so I racked my brain for something that generally gets along, and I walked away with two zebra danios. I'm definitely getting more, because they're fun little fish, and I know they're a shoaling species. Hopefully we'll get some more soon.

Ahti chased them around a little, but when they were too fast for him, he kind of gave up. They went to check him out, and he flared at them to scare them away. It worked.

I'm hoping they'll turn out to get along really well, and this won't be a purchase we regret.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #8 
Rimbaum

I have a picture of the new tank! If you've seen any pictures from Ahti's old tank, you should recognize some of the decorations. It's still a bit cloudy from the Start Zyme, but I expected that to happen. It cleared up in a couple of days last time I used it on Ahti's tank, and I'm positive it'll keep happening as I add more fish and increase the bioload.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #9 
Rimbaum

My parent's cat Jake has just discovered the danios. He had the widest eyes and tried to reach up and catch one. He loved to watch Ahti in his smaller tank, but I was always so afraid he'd knock the little 1.5 gallon over. He certainly budged it several times. But a 29 gallon? Nah. I'm mostly afraid of him getting the courage to jump on the lid.

But it was so funny to see him fish-watch the larger tank. Especially the fast-moving danios.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:24 PM   #10 
Rimbaum

Set up Ahti's old tank as a marimo tank! If things go sour with Ahti in the community tank, all I have to do is add back the heater and a new filter cartridge in this tank to make it ready for Ahti again.

I'm super pleased with the look. It's very zen-like.
Attached Images