Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #91 
Stone

I saw that you had bid on that betta, it had an hour 36 minutes to go I was tempted top see how much you would have paid lol nah I was hoping you would get him to replace moose he is an awesome looking fish
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #92 
logisticsguy

Thanks for not bidding on him Stone Yeah I was sweating it out on that auction. it has not been easy finding a giant that I really liked as much as Moose. The new guy will be set up for conditioning right away in his own 35g tank. Im trading some of my regular sized koi females for another giant boy to a local member this weekend. Things are finally looking up here after a very rough time losing many of my best fish.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #93 
Stone

These fish tend to break your heart now and then, I had to put down my favorite female today, she go injured and a fungus set it got that cleared up then bam bloat dropsy and pinecone, I had had her on meds for almost 2 weeks trying to save her and lastnight she started turning yellow and I could not stand to watch her suffer no more, the bad things was no clove oil on hand no place open to buy any so I had to resort to the hammer method, but I made the right decision in ending her suffering still doesn't make it any easier, stupid little fish you get all attached to them
Old 09-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #94 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

When's the new boy set to arrive?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #95 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone View Post
These fish tend to break your heart now and then, I had to put down my favorite female today, she go injured and a fungus set it got that cleared up then bam bloat dropsy and pinecone, I had had her on meds for almost 2 weeks trying to save her and lastnight she started turning yellow and I could not stand to watch her suffer no more, the bad things was no clove oil on hand no place open to buy any so I had to resort to the hammer method, but I made the right decision in ending her suffering still doesn't make it any easier, stupid little fish you get all attached to them
I completely understand. You did the right thing for your fish. Once pine coned its pretty tough fight and I maybe tried to long with my favorite girl before finally putting her down. these things tend to always happen to our favorite fish. This hobby can be very humbling. I used to think I knew lots and even gave advise until I started losing fish and could not figure out why. Its pretty heartbreaking for sure. At times Ive felt like giving up and finding an easier hobby but I really love these fish so got to hang in there. One thing for sure is many of the best keepers I know have had some problems in the last year. You can only do your best and hope disease doesn't visit. How is your Elvis doing these days?
Old 09-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #96 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
When's the new boy set to arrive?

Well if a certain transhipper would answer emails I would know for sure. More than a little frustrating.

So I accidently dumped about 200 NLS There A pellets in the giant girls tanks. Freaked and did 3x water change instantly but the lil buggers ate quite a bit just as fast as they could, amazed at how fast and much they went for. I got it cleaned up and the girls look ok but no doubt they would have eaten until they exploded. Tomorrow will be fast day lol.

Last edited by logisticsguy; 09-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 AM   #97 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Hahaha oops! They will be fine, don't worry.

I know this may sound bad, but despite the fact that I've never worked with him, I don't like Hung Pham. He runs his little monopoly and charges prices that are way to high for customer service that is sub par.

What would you say is the minimum tank size for a giant? Does it change if it is a male or female?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #98 
logisticsguy

IMO the smallest tank for a Giant male or female is 10g. I would not keep them in anything less. It may sound crazy but a 30g is not that big for them. To grow to maximum rate and max size you need big water. The thai giant breeders have them in 30g of water and up but that's a lot easier for them of course lol. Also 10g is a minimum for a spawn tank imo 2 giants can make a 10g look pretty small, they produce a lot of waste because they are such piggys.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #99 
Stone

Elvis is doing awesome, he is pouting at the moment, we did a trim of the plants in his tank. when we trim his plants he gets in a huff for a few days, I do wish I had the space and time to breed bettas I would be hunting down a female for him, I would love to have more fish like him with his temperment, even when he is being a little butt about having his plants trimmed
Old 09-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #100 
Stone

I would say 10 gallon would be the smallest I would/do keep elvis in harley my other giant is no where near as big as elvis, I would keep him in a 5-6 gal if I had too, I think when talking tank size for giants it's a fish by fish basis
ohh here is that giant betta farm link, he has won some contests with his bettas,http://www.giantbettasworld.com/inde...e&Id=538643011
now living in a climate where you could breed them outside, not worry about heaters and all of that would be really sweet