Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2009, 09:46 AM   #1 
IonBaller07

I think Marina has ich...

Well I think its time for my first fishy emergency. I was sitting here chilling on the internet when I heard a splash in my tank, I run over to find out why Marina had lunged in the air and back into the water, for no reason (I still dont know why Im just building a dramatic effect). Well I went over to see if there was something wrong and she has three tiny white spots on the side of her body, shes dark blue so its plain as day. But she does live in white sand so it could be that but I doubt it. Anyway what should I do totry to get rid of it if it is ich. Can the other fish in my tank catch it (3 neons, 2 corys) if so should I quarantine or is it too late. Also whats the best treatment, some product or should I find some salt. If so what salt is the right kind because I know my petstore will try to sell me marine saltwater salt. Thanks for any help, its just 3 small sand-grain sized dots so I dont think its too bad yet.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #2 
crowntail lover

Hey! Sorry about your girly!!
But I would seperate her for now until you fix this..:]
The best way to get gone with this is clean water! haha.
But set the water at 80 (heater) and add a half teaspoon of API aquarium salt to a 1 gallon...If you are using anything more a whole teaspoon is fine...You will need to change the water everyday! Oh and dont use any rocks, decor...etc... Because the infection will attach to it and stay there..So it will make it harder to get gone...
Good luck!!
Hope this helps!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #3 
IonBaller07

While I have this thread, Marina has yet another issue, she has always as long as Ive had her, had her ovipositor or egg spot showing. I dont know why but it has just always been out. Well now she is starting to get really big, I dont think itis just fat anymore I think she might be egg bound. Also if you look closely at the very tip off her egg spot you can see a tiny red dot in the middle, could that be blood. I cant get any good photos of her but I will keep trying. Is there any way to help get the eggs to pass? PLEASE help I cant have marina die shes recently become my favorite.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #4 
IonBaller07

Thanks crowntail, I do have a 2g critter keeper I can move her to, what about the other inhabitants, I looked them over the best I could (they are fast little neons) and they dont seem to have anything, could they already have it though?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 AM   #5 
crowntail lover

I dont think it will hurt the little ones!! :]
And I have no clue about the eggs....Is there a male beside her??? Because it is normal to see a red dot along with the pearl if there is a male to "turn up the heat" for her... haha
And the eggs will pass naturally threw her system..
Old 06-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #6 
IonBaller07

Well I thought of a little issue, I dont have a heater in the 2g keeper Do I have to go get another heater or should I just crank up the heat in the 10g and do it there. Ive already done a 35% change in it while were waiting but I figured Id get more info before I move her.

Also the closet male is about a foot away at an angle so I doubt she can see them but she might. But she has had the egg spot for forever, and she has been bloated for maybe 2-3 weeks since the last time I tried spawning.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #7 
crowntail lover

You can do it there then...And i am sure nothing is wrong with her, the eggs are just there. Heck.Pearl (my betta mommy) still has a belly of eggs.
But you can go ahead and start warming the water and adding some salt...And it will be gone soon! :]
Old 06-14-2009, 01:03 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ick is contagious so you'll want to treat the whole tank if she has tankmates. Turn up the heat to about 85 and treat with one drop of Aquarisol per gallon. Treat until the ick is gone.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:57 PM   #9 
IonBaller07

Should I use aquarisol with aquarium salt or one of them. I just picked up some salt, how do you add it just dump it the tables spoons or should I dissolve it in a cup first? Also if I do like 30-50% water changes should I add more salt or what, how much more?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can use 1 teaspoon of salt per 2 1/2 gallons of water. You can use it along with the Aquarisol. I got this info from Bettatalk.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote