Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2009, 02:50 AM   #1 
Scienceluvr8

Unhappy So Scary!!!!

Well, I was changing the water in my cutie Flapjack's tank a few days ago, and the scariest thing happened!

Of course, I removed him from his tank to do the wc, I just put him in the cup I bought him in with water previous to the change, and I was trying to scoop him out with his net, when he somehow just super jumped out of the net and landed on my desk!! I was so scared!! I tried to calmly,and gently scoop him up with my hands but he was flopping like crazy! He wasnt out of water for more than about 5 seconds, until I grabbed him(as gently as I could) and put him safely back into his tank!

Actually, he seems normal, he was a bit shaken up of course, I think I was more than him, lol, but he's acting the same as usual! I am so happy, I thought he was injured!

Sorry to make this so long, but can someone tell me how they transport their betta safely during water changes? I want to try something a little safer, seeing as my way is too risky? Thanks
Scienceluvr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

I would have been freaked out too, I'm glad he is okay!
I've had a terrible type at netting my fish, I just try to dip them out with a cup. I hope that helps!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:12 AM   #3 
Philip The Fish

i usually get them in the net, let them calm down in the water real quick then hold the net closed between tank and cup. so far i havnt had that problem and i hope i never do!!
Philip The Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:24 AM   #4 
Luchi

I used to do the cup and scoop thing... however I think my fish actually enjoyed playing cat and mouse so I gave that up and moved towards the net. I can usually get the net and cup close enough where there's not that much of a transition.
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:28 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I use a net. When I scoop the fish out of the tank, I put my hand over the net to prevent him form falling or jumping. My nets have kind of deep pockets so I really don't think they could get out of them but they flop around so much that I just put my hand over it.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #6 
ifish

my net is super small but i put my hand over
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #7 
IonBaller07

I had my Kingdra jump out of my net before and took like a 3 foot fall into my laundry, I scooped him up and dropped him in like you did and he stared at me like wtf.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #8 
Vikki81207

Yeah I try getting mine out in their cup. They hate the net and if I use the net, it takes like 5 minutes to catch them cuz their so stubborn.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they definitely hate being chased around.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #10 
Red Betta

That is probably the best way to do it, It was just unlucky he jumped so high, I guess what you could do, depending on the size of the tank/bowl, you could drain some out so if he does jump then he wont jump high enough.
Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote