Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2013, 01:04 AM   #1 
betta lover1507

A Question for people that owns a 1-year-old betta's

I know it sounds stupid, but I like to know if you give special care to Betta's that a bit older than One-Year-Old Since Everytime my fish hit a certain age, they become extremely less active and stop eating I don't know what it is! I give them good water, feed them a variety of foods, everything I have! Medications, salt, foods, conditioners, etc I feel disappointment on myself x-x so please, help me out, thanks
also, If you don't mind I would like to know how you have your tanks setup up for the 1-year-old fish so I could get some idea's for next time
thank you for your time

Why I would like to know:

I had about 3 fish that hit a year and a few months old and all had the same symptoms ._. Not Active and doesn't eat, I don't know if they're is something in the water I give them, or what xc My oldest girl had to be taken out of my sorority just because she seemed sick, and I realized that she is a year old and is doing what happened with my others ;-; So she lost weight, doesn't want to eat, nor move much. I know that I probably can't save her, but I just want to be ready for when my others hit a certain age.
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:41 AM   #2 
BettaGIRL5

My bettas do the same thing... I've noticed it affects the males far more than the females though, so perhaps it has something to do with their like mating drive or something :/ I'm really not sure
BettaGIRL5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:32 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

I haven't bred my betta's in over a(n) year, plus the fish that is sick hasn't been bred ever. :(
Old 08-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #4 
Taboo

I believe bettas can live several years, so I doubt her (or any of them) being a year old is what the problem is. Maybe some new fish brought some bad bugs with them, and made a few others unwell?

I've only had my bettas for months, not years, so I can't be any help with the 'special care' for oldies...I'd be curious to know, though :D
Taboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

1 year is not old at all! In fact with good care they can live longer than the usual 3 year mark, 2-2.5 years is getting on the old side. Here's a good article about aging Betta's and what to look for: http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/aging-bettas/
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:47 AM   #6 
betta lover1507

Well I didn't mean "old" I just meant older xD (sorry for not clarifying that)
and thank you for the article c: I'll read it right away.
I had two other males that were a year old with the sames symptoms before death :( so i'm not very sure... and they weren't with any other fish