Originally Posted by fishyinpa
What i read was that,the way they are caught in the wild makes it difficult to acclimate.
Yeah, they use cyanide to paralyze them and catch them. It doesn't always kill them immediately, but many eventually die from cyanide poisoning.
I love my otos, but I might not have bought them if I'd known this to begin with.
The other thing with otos being difficult is that sometimes you can't convince them to eat anything except algae. So, when there's not enough algae to sustain them, they just starve.
As for mine, they've never so much as glanced at an algae wafer, but they really
like zucchini that's been peeled and then microwaved or blanched to soften it. They also love marine algae--the green sheets of nori that you can buy in the lfs for marine fish.
Also, you can grow green or brown algae for them by putting some rocks in a tub full of tank water and sitting it in a sunny spot. Drop in some fish food, and wait for the algae to appear. Then put some of the rocks in your tank. This usually works well for otos that won't accept veggies or wafers.