Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 PM   #21 
LeahK

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishyinpa View Post
What i read was that,the way they are caught in the wild makes it difficult to acclimate.
Yeah, they use cyanide to paralyze them and catch them. It doesn't always kill them immediately, but many eventually die from cyanide poisoning.
I love my otos, but I might not have bought them if I'd known this to begin with.
The other thing with otos being difficult is that sometimes you can't convince them to eat anything except algae. So, when there's not enough algae to sustain them, they just starve.
As for mine, they've never so much as glanced at an algae wafer, but they really like zucchini that's been peeled and then microwaved or blanched to soften it. They also love marine algae--the green sheets of nori that you can buy in the lfs for marine fish.
Also, you can grow green or brown algae for them by putting some rocks in a tub full of tank water and sitting it in a sunny spot. Drop in some fish food, and wait for the algae to appear. Then put some of the rocks in your tank. This usually works well for otos that won't accept veggies or wafers.
LeahK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #22 
AngelicScars

Thanks for the advice! I have yet to try the wafers really on them yet, I'm going to try tonight and see how that goes. If that doesn't work, then I'll try the veggies.
I hope one of those work though. :)
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 AM   #23 
AngelicScars

After two days of being absolutely fine she has started nipping at them.
They are all fine, but I went ahead and took her out for the night. I want to be able to keep an eye on her longer now. I guess if she keeps it up, I'll have to remove them and take them back. Ugh, I really wanted to have at least one community tank.
One little guy lost most of his back fins. Now, is she trying to kill them or messing with them?
Also, if she won't have anything to do with tankmates, I think I just might put her up with Anna (dividing the 10 gallon) and leave her 10 gallon for an actual community tank with something other then Betta.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:43 AM   #24 
AngelicScars

IDEA: Or, I could just put Scarlett in the divided tank with Azazel (where I was planning on putting the new female) and put the new female in the 10 gallon with the Otos.
She is coming straight from a breeder, so she is probably used to being in a community tank with her sisters. Hmmm, I just might do this.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #25 
AngelicScars

I'm adding about a zillion different things to this post now, but I'm excited about this!
I just caught one of the Otos munching on the algae wafer I dropped in the tank tonight for them! The others need to follow along or this little guy is going to have the biggest belly of them all!
Old 06-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #26 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, you could try another female. They all have different personalities so one of your girls might be fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #27 
Vikki81207

I think the new female idea will work. Go for it. =D
Can't wait to see your new male and female.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #28 
AngelicScars

Thanks!
We lost the Oto that she nipped the fins off of. Poor guy really didn't have a chance after what she did. I'm glad I saw it and got her out when I did. The others are still doing great though!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #29 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about the one you lost. I'm glad the others are fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #30 
crowntail lover

I have 2...And they are amazing little things!!! Very fat too!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote