Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #1 
jpleroux

New proud owner of Rupert! the super Crown Tail... I think lol

Hello Betta fish community!

I'm new on this forum and after reading a couple of the threads thought it would be a great idea to join!

My girlfriend had a 10G tank sitting around and we decided to try and make a community tank with a betta in it. One day I got home from work and she had bought the fish. We put him in a small bowl for like 2 weeks but then managed to get the 10G running. His name is Rupert! I think he's a male Crown Tail from what I've been reading on the boards here. Can anyone confirm that? (see the pictures of Rupert the super fish below :) ) lol

Also I had a couple of questions as a newbie for you and would really appreciate your input!

1. My LFS said I could have a community tank with like a couple of plecos and some Tetras, I was thinking of like Ghost Tetras or something like that. Do you guys think its a bad idea or it will actually work out pretty well?

2. If I'm trying to cycle the 10G tank should I not change the water at all while doing it? (Yes I have a filter in it)

3. Rupert keeps looking at his reflection (mostly when we turn the light on) and of course being a lil dominating territorial beast of the undersea he gets in his "attack stance". I'm afraid his lil heart is going to explode after doing that for hours, should I let him be? or try to cover the glass with something so he stops doing that?

Thanks a lot! :)
Attached Images

Last edited by jpleroux; 06-15-2009 at 04:56 PM.
jpleroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #2 
ifish

hes a crown tail beautiful welcome to the fish form
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Yes, he's a very pretty Crowntail! Plecos are not a good idea since they grow up to 2 feet long! You can try cories or Otos, they are smaller and seem to do just fine with Betta.
As far as the tetras, they can work, but it depends on the Betta's temperament. It sounds like he might be too aggressive to have tankmates. I could be wrong though.
I've just put in some Otos with my female in a 10 gallon and I'm documenting the process in the other board!
I have no idea about the cycling, my tanks are uncycled.
I think flaring at his reflection is fine, but if you feel like he is working himself up too much, you can put something in front of the tank if you'd like!
good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #4 
jeaninel

Nice tank and beautiful crowntail. He looks like my betta Reno.

I agree about no plecos in a 10 gallon. A smaller species of cory such as panda or pygmy cories would be a better choice for a bottom feeder. You may also be able to do neon tetras. As someone stated it really depends on the temperament of your betta. Some are more aggressive than others when it comes to tankmates.

However, do not add anymore fish until your tank is fully cycled. And yes, you can do water changes during cycling. In fact, you should. Otherwise you may end up with dead fish from ammonia poisoning. Just try not to touch your filter media until the tank is fully cycled. if you do need to clean it, swish it in some used tank water, never tap water as the chlorine will kill off your beneficial bacteria.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #5 
jpleroux

Thanks for the good words everyone. I'll definitly check for the cories, sounds like a good idea, I should add like 1-3 cories? I was thinking of trying like 10 tetras as well after introducing the cories.

If I cover the glass with a black background will it help for the reflection issues?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #6 
AngelicScars

I keep reading that you have to keep at least 6 cories together, but I believe some people keep them in smaller groups (2-3) and they be fine. I'm sure you can get more opinions on that.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #7 
dr2b

He is very pretty!!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:29 PM   #8 
jpleroux

See, I knew Rupert was a superstar! When my gf brought him back home I was like, wow, you got a really good looking one.

Hes such a ladiesman that Rupert ;)
Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

Beautiful fish!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #10 
jpleroux

Mmmm so no one knows if its bad if my fish flares too much? Its getting me worried a bit :(

Can I put something on the exterior part of the glass to prevent Rupert from seeing his reflection?