Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #1 
Robarie

Unhappy Bloated Belly

I need some help, one of my bettas has a big bubble in his belly, well what i think is his belly, right behind his anal fins. He is still eating and from what it looks like still pooping too. What is wrong with him and what can i do for him??? Please help.
I have included the best pics i can get of him, he's fast and camera shy, but it is the white area, and is a lot bigger than it looks.
Attached Images

Robarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #2 
MrVampire181

Your betta is very pretty. A red cambodian crowntail. I have his sister at my house ;)

Did you feed him live foods?

If he is poopin then it's not dropsy since that's caused by kidney failure.

If he seems ok then: CUT BACK ON THE FEEDINGS. Most betta deaths are caused by fatty tissues building up. I wouldn't reccomend feeding more then once a day with only 3 peices of food. Bettas only need a feeding once a day. NO MATTER WHAT THE BETTA FOOD SAID.

If his scales are still coming out after the bloating is gone and then the bloating returns. You've got something VERY BAD coming your way.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #3 
AngelicScars

I agree with the above. It looks like he has been eating a bit too much. I hope it's just that.
I would suggest fasting him a few days and then start feeding him as stated earlier. I personally feed my Bettas twice a day, but a total of 2-3 pellets a day. Also, fasting at least once or twice a week is a good idea.
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:53 AM   #4 
Robarie

oh my goodness, its all my fault then. he does eat a little more than the other two guys. because at feeding time i give them 3-5 pellets each, but he eats it all so fast and keeps jumping up for more so i drop him a couple more. but i will stop that today, what is fasting?

as for live food, no i do not, they have pellets everyday and bloodworms once a week.

thank you all for the help
Robarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:03 AM   #5 
Luchi

Fasting is just when you don't feed your fish for a day, or so. Cleans their digestive tract out!
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #6 
ifish

my betta has that also but hes fine i feed him every 2 days but recently i feed him every day i admit i feed to much every day so ill go back to feedint every 2 days
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I feed mine twice a day, 2 pellets a day and I have never had a problem with overfeeding with 4 pellets a day. Bettas always look like they are starving to death but 2-3 pellets 2 times a day is plenty for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #8 
Luchi

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my betta would eat until he burst... no self-control. lol :]
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty sure my betta would eat until he burst... no self-control. lol :]

Not just your betta. ALL the bettas! All that's on their mind is food ;)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #10 
fishyinpa

That looks like my Morado!! I have fasted him for awhile,still not going down. I really hope its not dropsy.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloated