Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2009, 02:22 AM   #1 
Ilovemyshiny

Question ive heard deep water is painful

ive read in many places that because betas natural homes in shallow ponds that putting them in tanks 10 gallons or bigger causes a slow painful death for betas, any opinions prof of reasons why this is not true. i want to put my betas in bigger tanks but dont want to cause them pain.
Ilovemyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #2 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
That's BS. The fish can swim to the top just fine. I had some bettas in my 75g with no issues. Actually, the canals and swamps where they originated, are even deeper than the alleged "shallow" ponds.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #3 
alphabetta

depends on the filtration. if its very strong this can sometimes be the case with bettas with particularily long fins
alphabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #4 

Bettas are more likely to suffer longterm, in small bowls,jars,vases,cups etc, than they will in larger tanks with heater and healthy biological filter.Until people actually demonstrate their professed love of these fish by providing them with a proper enviornment,, there will always be the numbers of posts regarding sick bettas that are evident here and on other forums. In small uncycled containers ,water parameters , Ammonia,nitrites,and nitrates can Quickly become lethal.In larger tanks,, with mature biological filter, these toxins can be diluted by the beneficial bacteria in the filter and through water changes. The very fact that people keep buying these fish and placing them in uncycled small bowls,etc only promotes more of the same.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:28 AM   #5 
Ilovemyshiny

yea!! ill put them in bigger tanks. yea ive read alot about the nitrate and ammonia levels, i cycle about 15% of the water every day.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:39 AM   #6 
IonBaller07

Hmm... I was trying to think of a reason why someone would say that. IDK the only thing I could think of is that if the betta is SOOOOO old that it can barely swim then it will be more painful to swim all the way to the top of a 55g high tank than it would a 2g bowl. But if the betta is that old anyway theres not much you can do.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:55 AM   #7 
MrVampire181

If you put some floating plants in there the betta will heave no problems :)

I have spawned bettas in filled 10 gallons (about a foot deep). So there is no issue with just keeping a betta in deep water.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #8 
Ilovemyshiny

i read it in two websites and one book.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #9 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemyshiny View Post
i read it in two websites and one book.

Same here :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:31 AM   #10 
Freddiesbuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonBaller07 View Post
Hmm... I was trying to think of a reason why someone would say that. IDK the only thing I could think of is that if the betta is SOOOOO old that it can barely swim then it will be more painful to swim all the way to the top of a 55g high tank than it would a 2g bowl. But if the betta is that old anyway theres not much you can do.
I frequent some European fish forums where it is considered an absolute truth that no betta should live in a tank with water over 12 inches-high and neither in anything bigger than 15-20 gallons. But to be honest these guys are quite the extremists in fishkeeping. For example, they also says that Plakat should have AT LEAST 30 gallons because they swim better than long-finned ones...
Freddiesbuns is offline   Reply With Quote