Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #11 
BBgirl

Yes. I had to research the correct amount based on the size of the tank and the directions on the bottle. 5ml per 10g well I have only 1g.

I didn't use it at first because our first betta did better than the others and I didn't use any at all with him. I've always used the same bottled water with all of them and it wasn't till I started using the conditioner that they started dying in a matter of days.

I'll look for something different if I end up losing the little guy. I will replace him for my daughter.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #12 
MrVampire181

I'm guessing you did this suddenly?

You need to take the time to SLOWLY get them used to the new water.

Try this:

Week 1: 75% old water-25% new water
Week 2: 50% old water-50% new water
Week 3: 25% old water- 75% new water
Week 4: 100% new water YAY!!! HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #13 
dramaqueen
Banned

Conditioner needs to be used every time you change the water. In a gallon container, the water needs to be changed twice a week.Water quality is very important.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #14 
BBgirl

We did lose the little guy to Ich. He had 2 25% water changes and then todays full water change. My daughter had overfed the flake food and I didn't want to let it sit too long like that. We are going to stick to the pellets and occasional dried shrimp with the new one.
I was watching water quality and the tank is only a few days old.
The whole set up was a gift for her birthday. It was given to her a month late but none the less it was a birthday gift. I set up the tank with r/o filtered water and several drops of conditioner and set the cup in the tank to let the water in the cup to temperature before letting the little guy free. That was the 16th. I think the water temp probably fluctuated too much at night which probably stressed him out and allowed the parasite to progress.

I did the same with the new fish this evening. I used half treated tap water and half r/o filtered water to balance out the ph conditioned it and set it back up to prepare for the new fish. (After disinfecting the Ich contaminated set up). I am now prepared with medications and aquarium salt should I need it. We only had the fish for (this would have been) 4 days but I'm grieving for the little guy and wishing I had thought to be more prepared.

Thank you all for your wonderful answers and trying to help me save him. I will keep you informed on how Jessie #6 is doing. My daughter names her fish and she keeps naming it the same thing. I am losing count trying to keep track of which Jessie it is.

At this point the ph is at about 7.2 and the temp is 82 and he seems to be exploring his new home the way he should be. I did everything I could to make sure things were done to the 'T' as to avoid any major shock and avoid illness and severe stress.

I am open to suggestions if anyone can think of anything else I need to do or might want to do to keep this new friend happy and healthy.

Thanks again everyone!!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

How did you disinfect the tank? I'm so sorry about your fish. I wish you good luck with the new one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:16 AM   #16 
BBgirl

I used a mild bleach solution to sanitize and boiled water for the fake plants. Did several really thorough rinses and set it back up. 5 hours later the new fish was in. 10 hours later he is doing fine. I may treat for Ick now as a precaution since this fish is replacement from the same store and even the manager agreed that the other little guy may have come home with a little Ick to begin with. The tank wasn't dirty enough in the almost 4 days for it to have been an error on my part. But it was a learning experience. I am prepared to care for this one a little differently and ready to treat if I should need to.

Thank you for the well wishes.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 AM   #17 
sunkissedinCA

aw sorry about your fishy :(

if you ever have any questions, feel free to post here, everyone is great and will be more than willing to help you out. good luck with your next one!
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:11 AM   #18 
Luchi

Good luck with your new fish! Make sure the water stays plenty warm to keep him active and happy! :]
Luchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #19 
BBgirl

Thank you sunkissed. It was hard to watch him die and scramble trying to save him.
I fully expect our new friend will be much happier and healthier and live out his life span now that I am prepared for whatever crisis strikes. Let's just hope that the preparation isn't neccessary. I'm glad I have everything I might need I just hope I don't need to use it.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #20 
Nightfish

how do you warm water for a 1 gallon aquarium?
Nightfish is offline   Reply With Quote