Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 
Deanna01

White tips on ventrals: How big a fault?

I see solids occasionally that have white tips on their ventrals, like this boy:

Does this disqualify the fish, or is it considered a fault? I'm wondering if it would be worth breeding such a fish....

Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #2 
trilobite

Ive heard that white tips are because the fish is young and still growing and it dissapers when they mature...Dont know if its a real fact or not though lol
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #3 
shannonpwns

Is that your fish? Just wanted to say its gorgeous! He's the male version of my blue HMPK female!
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #4 
Deanna01

No, he is not my fish. He is a Majcha I was considering on Aquabid. He is handsome, isn't he?
Old 08-17-2013, 11:40 PM   #5 
Seki

Trilobite, I don't think that's true. My HMPK is probably over a year (depending on how old he was when I got him) and he still has white tips.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:34 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Trilo, that theory makes sense... I'm sure there are young fish that have white ventrals because they are young, but there most definitely are fish that have white ventrals for their entire lives. I remember BasementBettas (An excellent breeder who I trust a lot) saying that she will breed fish with white tipped ventrals but you have to be careful to only breed fish without them in further generations. I forget where she said it so I can not get the exact quote... Sorry. If you breed him (he is a really nice fish!) get a female that doesn't have them and preferably doesn't have a history of them in her line.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:34 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Ive heard that white tips are because the fish is young and still growing and it dissapers when they mature...Dont know if its a real fact or not though lol
Probably not true for all fish, but that;s how it was for three of mine. I was a little disappointed when the white tips colored out. I though it was kind of stylish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #8 
Lucillia

Ragnarok is at least a year old and his white has actually moved up his ventril and you can see it much more now. I'm assuming its just their coloration.
Lucillia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:22 AM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

To answer the OP question it is a slight fault to have white ventrals if entered in a color class-according to IBC standards.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #10 
Deanna01

Thank you all, and especially Ilikebutterflies! That's just what I wanted to know. :)