Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 08:51 AM   #1 
resa

Exclamation male with shredded fins

I woke up this morning to my male having severe fin damage!! I did a 100% water change yesterday using vinegar. bought a new hob filter. I left the diy filter in bc the new one isn't cycled. he's in a 10g tank by himself. has a few plastic plants and one Amazon sword plant. I feed him betta pellets 2x day. he's now quarantined in a 1g tank. I put api water conditioner in, prime, aq salt and bettafix in the tank with him. I use api water conditioner and prime on his 10g tank as well. I'm not sure how old big blue is but I've had him for 9 months. Please help me save my favorite betta.

I'll try to take better pics later, it was hard to take pics of the damaged fins bc he's moving around SO fast. the current pics don't show how severe the damage is
Attached Images

resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #2 
Taeanna
Reference Team

is it a straight tear up the fin as if someones pantyhose split? or is it a little ragged?
Any discoloration or bruising?
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #3 
JelloBetta

Do you have betta syrup? It might help.

Don't add conditioner to much, it could just make the problem worse.
JelloBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #4 
resa

another vt male same problem

I have another vt male in a shared 10g that looks like the beginning sign of fins shredding pics are hard to get bc he's hiding. betta name to this one is fire. so please help me to help fire, and big blue
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #5 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeanna View Post
is it a straight tear up the fin as if someones pantyhose split? or is it a little ragged?
Any discoloration or bruising?
no discoloration but yes as far as it looks split and ragged
Old 08-30-2013, 10:18 PM   #6 
resa

bumping please help me
Old 08-31-2013, 03:00 AM   #7 
Taeanna
Reference Team

if it is ragged looking along the tear he may have torn it on something in the tank, a plant or something. Have a good look around his tank, a rule of thumb for ornaments is to run a piece of pantyhose over things, if it catches it may tear a caught fin.

Another common fin damage problem is a blowout, caused when they flare so hard their fins split, these usually look nice and clean along the tears, like someone ripping a tear in a piece of fabric.

For healing really all they need is nice clean water and (if you have it on hand) indian almond leaf. Betta fins are suprisingly durable and will grow back from just about anything. first looking white or clear and gaining its old color later on when the new fin is strong enough.

By the sound of it it isnt fin rot or some other concern so medication isnt really needed, many people add a little aquarium salt to help heal external injuries, but as long as the water is clean and warm he should grow it back no problem

Edit- having another look at the shots they may be horseshoe shaped? if so they may be bites. a betta version of nail biting. this can come from stress, boredom or just because. It will heal too, but the trick with biting is finding out why the fish bit in the first place or it may keep happening

Last edited by Taeanna; 08-31-2013 at 03:03 AM.
Taeanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 AM   #8 
resa

there's nothing I'm the tank that would tear his fins. and I don't believe he did tail biting. No ial but I can get oak leaves?
Old 08-31-2013, 08:30 AM   #9 
resa

big blue had made a mini bubble nest in his quarantined tank. I'm curious why
Old 09-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #10 
resa

curious to know if anyone else knows what's wrong with big blue and what to do about it