Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 07:33 PM   #1 
Skuldane

Please Help!!

My betta fish is having issues, since last night i noticed he has been chilling near the surface not moving as much. Now he is barely moving and tends to float up a little bit. There are tears in his fins and it appears "stringy", his skin seems to be "peeling" or stringy too. He noses into the ground or the sides a little bit.

He was in a .5 gallon tank for about 1.5 weeks, he has now been in a 3 gallon since Thursday. There are two neon tetras and 2 ghost shrimp as his tank mates. There is a bamboo plant and a Anubias plant. There is also this aquarium decoration. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The PH is around 7.2-7.6. I just used some PH down to lower it a bit.
Part of his skin seems faded and not as bright as before. I am also using one of those UV lights for the plants to grow. I hope this is enough info, i dont have kits for amonnia or nitrates. However last night when i went to petco i had them test my water and they said it was perfect. oh the temperature fluctuates between 76-82 degress. I havve a heater but I havent plugged it in since the temperature is usually in the correect range.
Skuldane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:38 PM   #2 
Skuldane

Here are pictures I just took

http://imageshack.us/a/img845/5807/57ql.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/7526/z883.jpg

Also the tank water seems a little cloudy but i read thats part of the tank "cycling". As i said i was told my water if perfectly fine but any input or advice please!!!
Old 08-31-2013, 09:53 PM   #3 
sainthogan

How long has he been acting like this? Just an FYI, your tank is overstocked, a 3 gallon tank is really only ideal for 1 fish, even if it is filtered. He looks like he has a fungus or parasite.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 
Skuldane

A few days. I had two other neon tetras before the two current ones that I bought and they both died. I assumed it was stress. They just slowed down and started floating irregularly. Is he going to die or can I treat him? Are the other fish done for? And what about the ghost shrimp ?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:49 AM   #5 
Skuldane

Update:

Please help me find out what is wrong with him, and if my tank is now contaminated, do i need to start the tank over? How do i clean it? Do the plants need to be cleaned?

My leading theories are necrosis fungus or parasite. Please help me find info to save my betta =( I wanna go to petco first thing in the morning to get the supplies to save him but i dont know what is wrong.

Current picture:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Previous picture:

Old 09-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #6 
shannonpwns

How often have you been performing water changes? And how much water do you change?

He may be losing his slime coat. That would be my guess.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #7 
Skuldane

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
How often have you been performing water changes? And how much water do you change?

He may be losing his slime coat. That would be my guess.
I mean I was doing it once a week, I have only owned him for about two weeks. I did a water change teh first week, then teh day before i got the new tank then I did the new tank with all new water which was only a couple days, new tank has a filter.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #8 
Skuldane

Correct me if im wrong but why would losing his slime coat make him float motionless at the surface?
Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 AM   #9 
shannonpwns

A .5 gallon tank should have 100% water changes daily. A fishes slime coat is their only defense against disease and infection. Their slime coat can be damaged by bad water quality. I'd suggest doing 100% (or close to it) daily water changes for a while and see if he improves.

Someone else may have some thoughts as to why his fins are ripping, I don't know if it is fin rot, I've never seen it in person before. Possibly he tore it on something, or bit it himself.

Is his tank heated?
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #10 
Skuldane

I just put him now in a .5 gallon tank since he is sick with new water. I put my bettastick heater in there with him. But he was in the 3 gallon tank. I cant say for sure but i think the discoloration of his body may have something to do with it. Only a small section is normal color, and I THINK i noticed his color changing last week. Again not sure...