Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #11 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally, I did water changes when the ammonia was >.25 & had no issues with my Bettas.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #12 
Haleigh

Ok, that's good to hear. I'm a little worried though, because I just looked at him and I saw a tear in his fins that is pretty large. I don't see black edges on it, so I don't know if its the fin rot or if it could be decor related. Maybe he's just stressed because I've been doing so many water changes. Ugg. I just want him to get better!
Haleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #13 
Haleigh

Ok, I just did another 50 % water change. Tully is actually in his cup sitting here next to me. I'm worried that these water changes are stressing him, so I'm going to hold off on doing one tomorrow. I'll just check the water parameters and do one on Friday if necessary.

I rinsed off the stocking covering his filter in my sink (reusing the old filter water is too complicated because I'm in a cramped dorm and that water gets vacuumed into a huge water jug). Anyway, because I did not rinse out the actual filter, I'm assuming his cycle should not be messed up. Is that a fair assumption?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah that's fine for his filter. And why don't you just leave him in for anything under 100%? it will be much easier, unless he get's stressed at the siphon or something :-/
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #15 
Haleigh

I would leave him in, but unfortunately I do not control the temperature in my room. When I leave his water out to settle overnight, it gets really cold and takes time to rise back up to the appropriate temperature.

Is it alright/expected that his water parameters have not changed?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #16 
Starfish1

I would do a larger water change next time, maybe like 75%. If the water still comes up .25%, you could either get a different test kit, and try that or test the water when it first comes out of the tap to see if there is ammonia in it before you're even putting it in the tank.

Also the test kits with the vial and the drops tend to be more accurate than test strips, so that's something else to think about.

Let us know what happens!
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh you don't use conditioner Haleigh? I didn't realize you age it was why.

And yes, you have to keep doing water changes until your levels move down, unfortunately that's the way it goes >.< so you can start with 50% and then test an hour later, if it's still high then do another 50% until you see the levels drop.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #18 
Haleigh

I use Stress Coat + but also age the water. I realize I probably don't have to. Is it alright to add the water right after putting Stress Coat in, or should I give the Stress Coat time to settle and clean the water?

I'll have more time this weekend, so I can try to do water changes every hour if needed.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Nope, as long as you use conditioner before you put it in, it can go right into the tank. That's why we created conditioners, that and aging doesn't get everything out of the water as well but it's more of an ease on us.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #20 
Haleigh

I've been doing water changes and the parameters are not changing. However, the colors on both the ammonia and nitrites seem to have lightened while the nitrate color darkened quite a bit. Is that possible with the API liquid test kit?

Anyway, I think there is a problem. Just now, I noticed white stuff clinging to the stocking covering the filter. It's also speckled in his gravel. Here are some pictures. What the heck is this, and what do I do? Ugg, sorry to be such a pain guys.

*There is nothing on Tully, so I don't think this is ick.